Why become a member? ×

Changing from a DB750!

sshorepunk

Hi

Shock, horror title? The best amp I've ever owned and sounds great, but, times have changed

With my old band, a band that played original stuff, loud and proud, it sounded great. The drummer hits hard, the guitarist always has the "it doesn't sound right if its below that volume" line, the DB750 rocked. I've had it with two 4x10's and a 2x12

But now, in my 50th year, we're doing covers, fortunately we have retained part of our original sound, so most numbers get that treatment, but it's still a covers band and we are doing OK at it

So, I'm thinking of downsizing! The weight isn't an issue as much as some find it, but it is heavy. It lives in an aguilar gig bag which does make life easier. Also, I seem to have had an estate car forever! Be nice to have a more compact rig so next time I change my car I don't have to take a bass rig to make sure it fits.
But I still want my bases to sound good, no, sound great!
Its a right old mix we play, The Who, Kaiser chiefs, Bowie, Stereophonics, a bit of ska, bit of funk, you know the kind of thing!

So heres what Im thinking

TH500! My past experience has made me a big fan of aguilar, its quality gear, so thinking of staying there!

Now for the cab choice

The ultimate lightweight option is two SL112, but can they handle the noise the two lunatics I play with put out. We have keys as well

Or maybe two DB112's, pretty much what Ive got with a DB212

Two DB210, this does appeal, like the punchiness of a 4x10 rig

I looked at a DB112 and DB210 combo but the cabs don't look like they match!

I know I'm gonna get a "don't do it" comment here, but I'm thinking its time to move one for a number of reasons!

Tony

Hi Tony,

I too used to play in a loud originals band; big, dirty metal riffs in drop c tuning with two loud guitarists etc. you know the score... I was using 8x10's and a sansamp, with the old smiley face eq... More recently I have also begun playing with a covers band, and currently use a little mark ii driving 2 112 hartke cabs. I carried my old habit of the smiley face eq into this scenario, and have only recently realised it doesn't work! Not only did it feel like I was lost in the mix, it didn't really seem to add much to the overall band sound. So now, I have introduced the midrange, and plain detest the sound on it's own, however, I can now hear myself, and the sound in band context sounds perfect (to me!).

So that's a whole lot of waffle that doesn't even mention aguilar! I guess what I'm getting at, is that I think 2x112 cabs will suit you fine, provided you don't overly scoop your midrange? The Th500 is the same wattage is as my little mark, so should be spot on. Also, the load ins are a thousand times easier and quicker...

Hope this, in some bizarre way helps your decision, best of luck!

Rick

Can't comment on a replacement for the DB750 (far too personal a choice) but I can say that a pair of DB112 punch way above their size; one on it's own is... OK but a pair seems to be greater than the sum of the parts, I went from a Tech Soundsystems 6x10 (1200w cab) to the x2 112 Aggies and they fattened up way before the 6x10 which didn't come into its own until you were at silly volumes; by which time you really should be letting the PA do the work.

Comes a point where smaller/lighter gear is the way forward.

Never used a DB750 but I have read that the TH500 has a similar sound. I have the TH500 and think it is an amazing little amp. I put it through a Barefaced Super 12T and can`t imagaine a venue where this wouldn`t be enough - even though I have another S12T for bigger gigs, more for show than volume/sound I must admit.

So going by the liking for DB cabs, seeing as you currently have a DB750 and a DB212, replacing the amp with a similar sounding TH500 and two DB112s would suggest the sensible option.

I know two fairly serious live/session players who use DB750's plus Aggie 4x10's live. Both of them use a TH500 and a pair of SL112's for club gigs.

One of them went from the DB112's to the SL112's after some pretty extensive testing and decided that the SL's went louder and still gave him the sound he wanted but with a much lighter weight. The DB's are great cabs but they are one heavy side for small cabs whilst the SL's are a simple one-handed lift.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!
Still thinking along the lines of two DB210's as that is basically a 4x10, which has been my main cab for a long time, also really like the sound from the DB cabs
Very tempted with the SL cabs, I know who one of the players Molan is referring to is, and if it's good enough for him ................................
But would like to try first and that's going to be difficult right now!

First step is too put the DB750 out there and see what interest there is, would trade with a TH500 for those TH500 owners looking to move up!

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1421354979' post='2660380']
I know two fairly serious live/session players who use DB750's plus Aggie 4x10's live. Both of them use a TH500 and a pair of SL112's for club gigs.
[/quote]

Would one of those be Mr Swift by any chance?

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1421494512' post='2661916']
OK, the db750, after much deliberation, is staying!

Going down the route of two smaller foot print cabs!

Tony
[/quote]

So you will need cabs at least 19in wide if you want to avoid unsightly overhang!

Still gives you plenty of choice :huh:

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1421494512' post='2661916']
OK, the db750, after much deliberation, is staying!

Going down the route of two smaller foot print cabs!

Tony
[/quote]

In that case in your position I`d be checking out the Barefaced Big Twin 2. OK it`s only one cab, but it will probably do much of what two cabs from other manufacturers will. It`s 20.5" wide, so no overhang with the amp, and 50lbs in weight. Would sound amazing with the DB I reckon - have been very pleased with my Tonehammer/Super 12T combination.

Edit - and there`s a Big Twin up for grabs on here at present:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/252541-barefaced-generation-3-big-twin-2-price-reduction/page__pid__2658593#entry2658593

Edited by Lozz196

I'd look at pairing the DB with ceramics, and the TKS range...which Barrie holds at BG..
should stand a very good chance of fitting the bill.
I thnk TKS and TH500 is a great little matchup so I can't see a DB750 letting up on that.
I'd expect it to be a belter...and TKS have great cover options as well.