Why become a member? ×

NBD - Spector's revenge

Cosmo Valdemar

I've actually had this beauty since just before Xmas, an wasn't going to do a NBD thread but was politely bamboozled into it by one of our more esteemed members. So Discreet, this is for you! :lol:
It's used but in near perfect condition. I've ordered a replacement TonePump as it's currently wearing the non-adjustable version which is far too hot for me. I won't go into too much detail about the Euro itself as Discreet's recent thread on the same subject was comprehensive. Needless to say, this is my tenth (!) Spector, sadly I don't own them all anymore but it does show how much of an addiction these basses can be! They really are colossally good.

A couple of quick phone pics (the best I can manage). In 'real life' it's a deeper red and the quilt is more pronounced.

[URL=http://s903.photobucket.com/user/ben_merrick/media/20150104_1158201.jpg.html][IMG]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac238/ben_merrick/20150104_1158201.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s903.photobucket.com/user/ben_merrick/media/20150104_1158381.jpg.html][IMG]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac238/ben_merrick/20150104_1158381.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

That's a really nice-looking LX - the finish looks like one big piece of vintage tort. How are you with the bridge? When I found there were no intonation screws I thought it a bit weird, but it's actually really easy to move the saddles by hand.

I like the way the bridge is lockable, too - when everything's set you your liking you can lock it up tight and effectively it becomes a solid chunk of metal, only with your preferred action, spacing and intonation. Really good bit of design, ihmo. By popular demand Spector now make a bridge with intonation screws, but I prefer it without. When the bridge is locked you get no rattling or weird noises like you can with... 'other' bridges. ;)

Fantastic acquisition, and a cautionary tale, too - obviously if you sell your Spector, sooner or later you have to replace it!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1420486636' post='2649945']
I'm always thinking about getting a EURO4, but talk myself out of it.
[/quote]

I can try and talk you into it, if you like... solid maple wings, 3-piece maple neck with graphite rods, active EMG P/Js... just like the USA NS2! I'm more than happy with mine, it's great! :D [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250322-nsd-new-spector-day-euro4-audio-file/"]http://basschat.co.u...ro4-audio-file/[/url]
Look at it this way... you only need a Euro4 to complete the set!

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1420486589' post='2649944']
Spectors seem addictive!
[/quote]

They are, cetera warned me as much and it's quite true. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420500212' post='2650153']
I can try and talk you into it, if you like... solid maple wings, 3-piece maple neck with graphite rods, active EMG P/Js... just like the USA NS2! I'm more than happy with mine, it's great! :D [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250322-nsd-new-spector-day-euro4-audio-file/"]http://basschat.co.u...ro4-audio-file/[/url]
Look at it this way... you only need a Euro4 to complete the set!
[/quote]

Thanks! :-)
I used to have a EURO4 EX with a poplar top. Liked that a lot, I think the Spector ergonomics shine the best on the 4 string NS models. But... I just did not use it at all.
Seems like all the projects I have been part of in the last 8 years require a B string so I have given up on 4 string basses.
Every now and then I get one, like that EURO4 or a Fender Jazz or such, but after a while I come to my senses and sell it to someone who actually uses it.
I need to feel like a given instrument is getting used otherwise why having it? I'm not a collector type of a person.
This is the reason my EURO6 is for sale as well.

That being said I'm sure that at some point I'll have one again and put a drop tuner on it for drop D tuning. Spectors sound like nothing else and the 4 string PJ's do sound different that the 5's with the EMG DC's.

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1420531141' post='2650243']
I'm sure that at some point I'll have one again and put a drop tuner on it for drop D tuning. Spectors sound like nothing else and the 4 string PJ's do sound different than the 5's with the EMG DC's.
[/quote]

There you go! That's the spirit! :lol:

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1420535870' post='2650289']
True. I love Spectors.
[/quote]

Wow! That's a very GASeous trio. :)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1420536281' post='2650296']
I don't think I've ever played a Spector.
[/quote]

Everyone owes it to themselves to at least try one at least once! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420536736' post='2650305']
Wow! That's a very GASeous trio. :)
[/quote]

Thanks! The blue is gone and the sixer will be as well sooner or later.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420536736' post='2650305']
Everyone owes it to themselves to at least try one at least once! :)
[/quote]

That's true. And also the most important thing is to try them in a musical environment. I am not the biggest fan of how Spectors sound by themselves, but I have yet to find any bass that fits so well into the mix with such small effort on the sound engineers side both in live and in studio. And as we know basses are mostly being played in a band setting ,this is one of the most important things.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420387776' post='2648674']
That's a really nice-looking LX - the finish looks like one big piece of vintage tort. How are you with the bridge? When I found there were no intonation screws I thought it a bit weird, but it's actually really easy to move the saddles by hand.

I like the way the bridge is lockable, too - when everything's set you your liking you can lock it up tight and effectively it becomes a solid chunk of metal, only with your preferred action, spacing and intonation. Really good bit of design, ihmo. By popular demand Spector now make a bridge with intonation screws, but I prefer it without. When the bridge is locked you get no rattling or weird noises like you can with... 'other' bridges. ;)

Fantastic acquisition, and a cautionary tale, too - obviously if you sell your Spector, sooner or later you have to replace it!
[/quote]

I'm ashamed to admit I avoid fiddling with bridges and necks. Pathetic I know. But my guitarist is a professional guitar tech so it seems daft not to let him do the magic, and all at mate's rates. :D
It's such a stunning piece of design though, that bridge. The newer ones just don't look right.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420478438' post='2649789']
I'd quite like the MM4 with the matte blue finish, maple neck and black crown inlays...
[/quote]

I love the Rebops, but the ergonomincs annoy me sadly they have a tiny (narrower than the Euro) body and a thick heavy neck. Resulting in neck dive and an odd weight distribution. That said, they sound immense, and I would love to own another one day!
Despite the stunning looks, I didn't get on with the MM I tried. That pickup placement just doesn't do it for me, it's too close to the bridge. Perfect for the funkier stuff I'm sure but far too tight and snappy for me, I like a looser growl.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1420555768' post='2650573']
I'm ashamed to admit I avoid fiddling with bridges and necks. Pathetic I know. But my guitarist is a professional guitar tech so it seems daft not to let him do the magic, and all at mate's rates. :D It's such a stunning piece of design though, that bridge. The newer ones just don't look right.
[/quote]

They don't! I prefer the minimalist approach.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1420555768' post='2650573']
I love the Rebops, but the ergonomincs annoy me sadly they have a tiny (narrower than the Euro) body and a thick heavy neck. Resulting in neck dive and an odd weight distribution. That said, they sound immense, and I would love to own another one day!
[/quote]

I did wonder where I was going to anchor my thumb when playing fingerstyle. That MM pickup looks unsuitable for the purpose.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420557091' post='2650593']

I did wonder where I was going to anchor my thumb when playing fingerstyle. That MM pickup looks unsuitable for the purpose.
[/quote]

It is really far back isn't it? I wonder why they didn't put it in the tried and tested traditional Stingray position...