Why become a member? ×

Christmas NBD!!! G&L content

cocco

Morning chatters!

Had a pretty unexpected new bass day yesterday courtesy of Mrs cocco. A G&L L2000 tribute in tobacco burst with matching headstock.

What a bass! I'm not normally a fan of active circuitry but the tritone system in this is different somehow, it still has that raw quality that I like no matter how its set.

The amount of sounds available is pretty amazing thanks to the switching options too and there's bags of growl and aggression in it, although it can do mellow as well.

Fit and finish are pretty flawless and the grain on the swamp ash body is lovely. Ergonomically it feels expectedly familiar which is no bad thing, Im a creature of habit.

These are all of course first impressions, but the crux if the matter is that this is a great sounding bass with tonnes of tonal possibilities that plays like a dream, has hardware above its price point and looks good too. Its definitely the next step in the Leo Fender bloodline and is as far as I can see the perfect evolution of the Precision/Stingray design and a great example of if it ain't broke make it better engineering. Leo definatelt got it right (again).

[URL=http://s40.photobucket.com/user/agcocco/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/IMAG0237_zpsoybgd9yn.jpg.html][IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/agcocco/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/IMAG0237_zpsoybgd9yn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by cocco

How is the neck on this?

I bought myself one of the special run of 50 Equatorial mahogany US models last year and the neck was so thick front to back to make it unplayable to me so it went back

I'd still really like one of these and was thinking about it yesterday but not knowing how deep the neck is was putting me off.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1419595059' post='2641100']
What a bass! I'm not normally a fan of active circuitry but the tritone system in this is different somehow, it still has that raw quality that I like no matter how its set.
[/quote]

That might have something to do with it being mostly passive. The EQ is passive cut only, and the active setting is merely a line boost, which was designed to boost the signal to allow longer cables to be used. There is treble boost, that's about the only trickery going on.

Great basses, enjoy!

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1419595696' post='2641105']
Great basses. How does it compare to your Toaster T-40? I have a 1979 T-40 through an Orange Thunderverb 200 and Ive been swaying towards getting a G&L for a punchier tone.
[/quote]

Its definately punchier, and lighter. I love it! Have a go on one. Its a monster of a bass.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1419601423' post='2641187']
How is the neck on this?

I bought myself one of the special run of 50 Equatorial mahogany US models last year and the neck was so thick front to back to make it unplayable to me so it went back

I'd still really like one of these and was thinking about it yesterday but not knowing how deep the neck is was putting me off.
[/quote]

Its great! C shaped but not ridiculous. It feels amaller than my Lakland Bob Glaub, not as a thin as a jazz though. Its a satin finish as well so it feels fast to me.

These are superb all-round gigging basses.

I have the same one (minus the matching headstock).

I find I nver need the active circuit at all. It's plenty loud and punchy in passive mode. There's a little time needed to find the sounds that you like - there are so many possibilities. It's well worth the effort.

Frank.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1419595906' post='2641108']
Nice Christmas present. I agree that the circuitry on those basses seem more like a juiced up passive rather than what we normally expect from active circuits.
[/quote]

'Juiced up passive' is dead right. The tone controls are actually passive, and you have the option of switching in the active circuit, which gives you a punchier 'modern' sound.