Why become a member? ×

in ear monitors

kevvo66

Proper in-ears monitors like 1964s/Ultimate Ears/Shure SE are designed to block as much outside noise as possible - so ideally you'd want the whole band in a mix in your ears. The idea is to protect your hearing at loud gigs etc and provide a comparatively quiet/safe mix of the whole band so you can hear everything clearly :)

Depending on your setup though they're either essential or really impractical. What kind of setup does your band usually use?

We di ,but not always depends on the size of the venue really ,with bass being of low frequency suppose we are always going too struggle in the mix ,I use markbass head blackline head which I'm moving on , because it's only putting out about 140 watts with my purple chilli cab that's 8 ohms ,but I don't want too add another cab prefer too keep the weight down so bigger head it is mei thinks ,I have hartke head that's a real beast but alas I prefer the sound of mb myself

Our drummer had an Audio Technical IEM setup which we then augmented with a much cheaper LD systems unit. The AT is better but, from my perspective, not that much better that it warrants the huge price differential. Okay, we're just a pub band so maybe the AT would be worth the extra if we were playing larger venues or touring. But we don't and the LD has done us fine. The homework I did before hand suggested that the weak link on most was the ear buds. The ones supplied are pretty basic. I use a set of Shure buds from my iPod and they've been excellent. Custom moulded jobbies would be nice one day but the Shures do the trick for now. My only criticism is that the LD is a bit light on bass but that's been helped by the better ear buds and by making sure they fit properly. I have a full band mix in one ear and my bass in the other and it works brilliantly for me. I have regular toe to toe confrontations with an overloud guitarist and got the IEMs as an alternative to facing a manslaughter charge. So far they've done the job....

Also, a call out to Ipswich PA who provided brilliant, non-pushy advice on the phone, had a very competitive price and worked hard to get them dispatched on the same day so I'd get them for a gig at the weekend. And no, I'm not associated with them - I just think it's worth mentioning examples of really good or bad service. And in this case, it was excellent.

Edited by Skinnyman

If anyone can help with where to position the cables that would be useful too. I have tried the traditional iPhone arrangement up the front, round the back, one ear in one out, gaffa taping bits, in and outside of clothing but whatever I try the cable snags on my strap and pulls on the earpiece. Drives me nuts.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1419596872' post='2641121']
If anyone can help with where to position the cables that would be useful too. I have tried the traditional iPhone arrangement up the front, round the back, one ear in one out, gaffa taping bits, in and outside of clothing but whatever I try the cable snags on my strap and pulls on the earpiece. Drives me nuts.
[/quote]
I attach the IEM to my strap, over my shoulder, low enough to be able to reach round and adjust the volume. I run the wire up the strap itself (woven through the leather loops) and then bring the buds in from behind my neck. Comfy, easy to fit, no tangles.

The whole topic is covered in depth in the other thread but cable placement seems to be the only area not really touched on to any great degree.

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1419638309' post='2641585']

I attach the IEM to my strap, over my shoulder, low enough to be able to reach round and adjust the volume. I run the wire up the strap itself (woven through the leather loops) and then bring the buds in from behind my neck. Comfy, easy to fit, no tangles.

The whole topic is covered in depth in the other thread but cable placement seems to be the only area not really touched on to any great degree.
[/quote]

Thank you

I don't know much about them, however if you do it right, it's a fairly expensive acquisition and I think it works best when the whole band is using them.

I'm [i]"old school"[/i] l can't see myself having a use for them. I have a dedicated powered Carvin stage monitor 15" and a horn that I can ear my vocals and bass signal through just fine.

McCartney doesn't need them, so I don't. :D

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. Make sure you know exactly what you need and how your going to use them before you buy a IEM solution.

Blue

I've used IEMs before and I like them.

The main things to consider are[list]
[*][b]Monitoring for the rest of the band [/b]- if they're all using in ears then this isn't a problem but if not then they'll need monitors that can handle bass or you'll also need an amp on stage
[*][b]Is the whole band going through the PA? [/b]- for IEMs to work the whole band needs to be through the PA or you'll not be able to hear everyone
[*][b]Does the desk have enough sends? [/b]
[/list]
If you've answered these questions then I say try it. When I have done it I have used cheap IEMs through a cheap Behringer headphone amp. I also used a headphone extension cable to reach.[list]
[*][b]IEMs[/b] - [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Enhanced-Hi-Fi-Isolating-Earphone-Silver/dp/B007VEQ2UU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8"]http://www.amazon.co...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8[/url]
[*][b]Headphone amp - [/b][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MA400-Monitor-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KUCQXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8"]http://www.amazon.co...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8[/url]
[/list]

Edited by Hugh971