Sign in to follow this  
Petezzz

Wal Custom Bass
£5000

[attachment=179203:Wal bass 6.jpg][attachment=179172:Wal bass 2.jpg][attachment=179185:Wal bass 4.jpg][attachment=179184:Wal bass 5.jpg][attachment=179186:Wal bass 3.jpg]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][b]Now £3000 !![/b][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][b]Wal Custom Bass[/b] mk1. [/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]PB1607. [/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]1982. [/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]Probably the best bass in the world. Unique - customised by my friend Wal himself. Plays and sounds absolutely gorgeous. [/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]Mint condition. Recent £300 service and set up by Wal Bass UK. [/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]Breaks my heart to sell. [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Location: Crystal Palace, London SE19 [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Sorry no trades, cannot send or post.[/size][/font]

Edited by Petezzz

"[font=Helvetica][size=3]Probably the best bass in the world". I think you're probably right.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3] :gas:[font=Helvetica][size=3] [/size][/font][/size][/font]

To answer your question Francesco: All the Wal basses had a flat fretboard which I didn't like so I asked Wal to make the fretboard slightly curved like a Fender. He did a great job and I found it much more intuitive and comfortable to play.

Edited by Petezzz

[quote name='Petezzz' timestamp='1419372803' post='2639369']
To answer your question Francesco: All the Wal basses had a flat fretboard which I didn't like so I asked Wal to make the fretboard slightly curved like a Fender. He did a great job and I found it much more intuitive and comfortable to play.
[/quote]

All the Wals don't have flat fingerboards? Standard is 12" radius I believe?

In any case, a solid shedua body is pretty special, stunning instrument!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1419420659' post='2639753']
All the Wals don't have flat fingerboards? Standard is 12" radius I believe?

In any case, a solid shedua body is pretty special, stunning instrument!
[/quote]

I remember the standard radius was 12" too. My Mk 1 fretless has a radiused board. Solid shedua body is really unusual though.

The real hen's teeth Wal I want to see though is one with a P-bass body profile. It was a no-cost option when I ordered mine in '83 and I thought about it at the time. Kind of wish I'd done it now. I've never seen one in the flesh.

P

OK maybe I am mistaken that they all had flat fretboards - anyway I wanted mine a bit more curved.
I remember being amazed at Wal's craftsmanship like - how did you do that?!
And I definitely found the end result smoother to play.
thanks
Pete

Edited by Petezzz

[quote name='Petezzz' timestamp='1419593982' post='2641084']
OK maybe I am mistaken that they all had flat fretboards - anyway I wanted mine a bit more curved.
And I found the end result smoother to play.
thanks
Pete
[/quote]

So, the radius is more curved than the standard, do you know the measurement? If it was a custom change, maybe it will be written on the inside of the control plate if you don't know it? :)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1419352471' post='2639068']
If that bass is in Crystal Palace, I am currently sitting a mere ten minutes away... :shok:
[/quote]

I am currently sitting a mere three minutes away... :shok:

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1419594547' post='2641094']
So, the radius is more curved than the standard, do you know the measurement? If it was a custom change, maybe it will be written on the inside of the control plate if you don't know it? :)
[/quote]
OK I'll look into this...
The curve feels similar to my Fender basses
but anyone who's interested best thing to do is simply come and try it !

Edited by Petezzz