Why become a member? ×

Help stop the blatant profiteering from ticket touting

tonybassplayer

Hi I'm sure some of you have seen my original thread about being totally hacked of about ticket touting well it seems we are are not alone and an online petition has been started and I would really appreciate your assistance with getting the numbers up. It's blatantly ripping off live music fans like you and me so any assistance is very welcome.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ticket-touting-made-illegal?source=facebook-share-button&time=1419158150

The only thing about this is that given Ticketmaster's history of fair play and decency, all I can see happening is that rather than releasing tickets at, say, 70 quid, and once they've all "sold out", flogging them on GetMeIn for 140 quid, Ticketmaster will just release them at 140 quid.

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1419322708' post='2638648']
The only thing about this is that given Ticketmaster's history of fair play and decency, all I can see happening is that rather than releasing tickets at, say, 70 quid, and once they've all "sold out", flogging them on GetMeIn for 140 quid, Ticketmaster will just release them at 140 quid.
[/quote]

As much as I would like ticket prices to drop I can't argue with true market value so if the bands etc decide on a higher ticket price then I pays my money and takes my choice but that is different to them being sold on immediately at double the official price without them even being offered to the fans at face value.

To be fair it's not my petition it's just co incidental that I was having exactly the same feelings at the same time but it's building very fast and usually I am quite a chilled out kind of a person but there is no doubt about that this is very much profiteering and I am confident that in time ( sadly nothing seems to happen very quickly ) this could help change the situation.

Thing is, primary ticket outlets like ticketmaster pass on a large amount of tickets to other companies like Viagogo, or getmein and they double the price before advertising tickets for pretty much anywhere in the venue. You go back to ticketmaster and they are sold out! This is just legal touting and I think it's wrong!

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1419325648' post='2638679']
To be fair it's not my petition it's just co incidental that I was having exactly the same feelings at the same time but it's building very fast and usually I am quite a chilled out kind of a person but there is no doubt about that this is very much profiteering and I am confident that in time ( sadly nothing seems to happen very quickly ) this could help change the situation.
[/quote]

Ah ok.

However, looks like Watchdog have already given this on a big bashing. The various companies have replied. Sharon Hodgson MP is/was apparently one pushing for a change in the law to limit the price increase to 10%

Watchdog stuff here. Interesting read.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3Sn9kz60SZPXy0g0qCy2zk8/second-hand-ticketing

I go to less big gigs these days. I expect to pay at least £70 for example if Metallica play the o 2.

What annoys me more than that, is the fact that the tickets disappear as soon as they goon sake/ presale etc.
if you manage to get a tkt, eve then you could be virtually miles away from the stage in a very high and scary position .
Plus, if you cannot access a computer at 9am , because you are working, then who is going to get a tkt for you?
Does this mean you miss out ?
Aaarghhh!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1419336189' post='2638825']
Why do I have to put my postcode on the petition ?
[/quote]

It's their way of ensuring that only UK residents are counted. T'web is (I'm told...) 'world-wide', and we wouldn't want non-nationals petitioning, now would we..? Blinkin' well unbeatable method of preventing cheating, eh..? Took a lot of work to invent, did that. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1419337068' post='2638839']

It's their way of ensuring that only UK residents are counted. T'web is (I'm told...) 'world-wide', and we wouldn't want non-nationals petitioning, now would we..? Blinkin' well unbeatable method of preventing cheating, eh..? Took a lot of work to invent, did that. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

They can then check a sample to make sure that real people did sign it and it wasn't just someone going through the phone book and adding names.