Why become a member? ×

NBD Sandberg

Opticaleye

Well, it seemed like more than 6 months since I ordered this but it's finally here thanks to Bass Direct.

[url="http://s139.photobucket.com/user/optical_I/media/f6052580-c7a7-4422-89de-d2d451422ae3.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s139.photobucket.com/user/optical_I/media/blueumbo1.jpg.html"][/url]

This is my 2nd Umbo and I now have 4 Sandbergs in total !
I immediately removed the Sandberg strings and put an old set of LaBella 760FL flatwounds on. The Umbo (IMO) can be very picky with strings and the original strings seem to make the Umbo sound nasal with the 3 position "varitone" switch in anything but mid cut position.

The Labellas sound great and I have put an old set of DR Fatbeams on my other Umbo. Between the two basses I can cover just about any passive tone that I may need.

Very much an old school vibe and exactly what I hoped when I spec'd this up. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I do change strings a fair bit to get an idea of what suits each bass.

I find the D'addario nickels ok but a little thin sounding. DR Lo-Riders are great for the style you are describing (if a little higher in tension). I have DR Fatbeams on my TT4 that has Nordstrand pickups and they are a little looser feeling but good also.

That one was around £1350.

The Umbo was the same model used in the 100 bass riffs video (the same colour and spec as my other one). They really are the most versatile bass that I have owned and it's not a Jack of all trades/master of none situation as it excels at everything.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1419339895' post='2638894']
They really are the most versatile bass that I have owned and it's not a Jack of all trades/master of none situation as it excels at everything.
[/quote]
Can't disagree with than and it has its own unique voice and character

• 2 months later...

hi i've just dug this up as I'm itching to pull the trigger on a new bass now that I know what pennies are coming my way this month. I'm left handed so getting hold of nice basses to try is difficult but i played a Sandberg California VM recently with ebony fretboard and loved the feel, the neck was perfection and it was just so easy to play... I can't really slap but i managed to on this with ease... Anyhow, I spec'd up an Umbo and had Thomann give me a price, I'm now mulling over my options as buying a VM from Thomann's stock would save me around £400. Are you able to offer a comparison of an UMBO to the VM? Obviously the VM has 2 band active EQ, but I'm intrigued by the passive system in the Umbo... Any insight offered is gratefully received! Thank you

I have an early VM (soft aged) but in a band situation I find the blend of P and MM pickups, in the positions they are in, not useful. I preferred my old TM blend of J and MM.
The Umbo's (at least the aged ones I have) are much more vintage and woody sounding and very versatile. The 3 position switch is very useful although I don't use the centre mid cut position. You can get a lot of really good passive tones from clean "Jazz" to dirty "P" The Umbo also has a thinner body to my Sandberg TT.

The Umbo uses Alnico II pickups instead of the usual Alnico V's on Fender jazzes and there's a bit more complexity in the mids.
I'm not so keen on Delano ceramic pickups personally, and I replaced my VM pickups with Alnico Haussels.

[quote name='Thump' timestamp='1426272763' post='2716520']
That's a gorgeous shade of blue
[/quote]
[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1426280400' post='2716647']
That is stunning...congratulations!
[/quote]

Many thanks.

I got some funny comments from my band though so it's probably not to everyone's taste . :)

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1426270480' post='2716476']
I have an early VM (soft aged) but in a band situation I find the blend of P and MM pickups, in the positions they are in, not useful. I preferred my old TM blend of J and MM.
The Umbo's (at least the aged ones I have) are much more vintage and woody sounding and very versatile. The 3 position switch is very useful although I don't use the centre mid cut position. You can get a lot of really good passive tones from clean "Jazz" to dirty "P" The Umbo also has a thinner body to my Sandberg TT.

The Umbo uses Alnico II pickups instead of the usual Alnico V's on Fender jazzes and there's a bit more complexity in the mids.
I'm not so keen on Delano ceramic pickups personally, and I replaced my VM pickups with Alnico Haussels.
[/quote]

Thanks for this... considering the amount of money I am potentially parting with and the lack of these there is to try in lefty its very useful info!