Why become a member? ×

Colour of the cable...

Guest BeardyBob

Anyone mentioned being sent to stores to get some 'door gaps'?

I recall that one being tried on me when I worked in a factory. The foreman, thinking he was clever was flummoxed for a reply when I said I'd get him 'ajar'.

What if you use a wireless ?

Edit

Just checked on the box it states this model emulates black cables, I googled it and their is an American cap on YouTube that shows you how to do an easy internal mod to make it emulate other colored cables, whilst eating a sandwich.

Edited by lojo

Not meaning to take this thread off topic, but with wireless it is a whole new world of confusion here. The signal depends on the air temp, humidity, and of course distance. If you want to play behind the beat a little you move further from your receiver, or place a guitard between you and the receiver so the signal has to go round them. To play in front of the beat you can stand right next to the Rx. Hot humid conditions (like a frontmans crotch for instance) give deeper bass sounds, dry cold ones give a bright tone suitable for twiddly playing. of course the 2.4GHz frequency band signals get to the Rx faster than lower AM frequencies so you must adjust your playing to accommodate otherwise you'll easily end up half a beat out.

Cheers,
Rich

That is right Diablo, I find that its best to play over the pickup when using a wireless setup as again that is going to get the signal to the amp quicker too, if you are playing something really fast on a regular basis I would suggest a really low action too, I think I read that for every 1mm of action off the 12th fret creates a 250ms delay, fretless basses are unaffected something to do with ebony wood absorbing the mhz but thats too technical for me :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418468001' post='2630404']
That is right Diablo, I find that its best to play over the pickup when using a wireless setup as again that is going to get the signal to the amp quicker too, if you are playing something really fast on a regular basis I would suggest a really low action too, I think I read that for every 1mm of action off the 12th fret creates a 250ms delay, fretless basses are unaffected something to do with ebony wood absorbing the mhz but thats too technical for me :)
[/quote]

The air delay and other frequency changes due to atmospheric conditions can be overcome through common everyday engineering. The guitar or bass should be played in a suitable vessel that is at very low atmospheric pressure or ideally a vacuum e.g. diving decompression chamber. In the interests of safety a suitable air supply should be provided for the instrument player. Concerns have been expressed by several authors that these conditions lead to significant fast signals. These 'fast' signals are known to cause a timing advance rather than delay, leading to musical dissonance. Further research should be devoted to determining the optimum atmospheric conditions for string to pickup transmission.

Edited by 3below

Obviously a lefty and not had the strings fitted yet but this is the new James Dyson wireless vacuum bass, a right handed version will be made but only in shergold green as Adam Clayton is switching to Dysonbasses because its been over a week since he changed endorsees, the signature does come off with a baby wipe if it offends anyone.

[attachment=178471:jd.png]

This 'moving around to play in front of/behind the beat' using a wireless system is obviously rubbish, and way too hit-and-miss. What I've done is to make a small time machine that operates only in the area surrounding my plucking hand which can be calibrated anywhere between 0.01seconds and three hours, meaning I can add any amount of push or pull direct from the control console, located on a small microchip embedded in my brain. Simple!

Interestingly, I can also program in a good old shuffle into a sock up to three hours into the future, which is sometimes pleasantly surprising and at others frankly embarrassing, but hey - I just have the great ideas, it's up to other people to make them work properly. :crazy:

Edited by discreet

[quote]The air delay and other frequency changes due to atmospheric conditions can be overcome through common everyday engineering.[/quote]

Interesting that is was the BBC that found the solution to this. If you take the time to research this you'll find on the olden days BBC radio listeners in Scotland would receive programmes sometimes as much as a day later than people near White City. Scottish listeners interested in current affairs were up in arms about this. The obvious solution was to increase the radio transmission power to make the signals go faster (like using more gunpowder in a cannon). This worked to some extent but the 4.5MW transmitter also wiped out all avian life within a mile of the transmitter and people got upset when cooked pigeons fell from the sky having been baked mid-air by the radio signals, or "BBC Death-ray" as the tabloids christened it. So the BBC then changed from LW to SW signals so they went faster, but this only shortened the delay to a few hours. Eventually the invention of FM cured this and now even people living in the Orkneys can enjoy "Today On Radio 4" within a few seconds of people in London. How we love scientific progress.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1418454242' post='2630303']
What if you use a wireless ?

Edit

Just checked on the box it states this model emulates black cables, I googled it and their is an American cap on YouTube that shows you how to do an easy internal mod to make it emulate other colored cables, [u][b]whilst eating a sandwich[/b][/u].
[/quote]

what kind?

any cucumber in it?

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1418467475' post='2630395']
Not meaning to take this thread off topic, but with wireless it is a whole new world of confusion here. The signal depends on the air temp, humidity, and of course distance. If you want to play behind the beat a little you move further from your receiver, or place a guitard between you and the receiver so the signal has to go round them. To play in front of the beat you can stand right next to the Rx. Hot humid conditions (like a frontmans crotch for instance) give deeper bass sounds, dry cold ones give a bright tone suitable for twiddly playing. of course the 2.4GHz frequency band signals get to the Rx faster than lower AM frequencies so you must adjust your playing to accommodate [b]otherwise you'll easily end up half a beat ou[/b]t.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

That's why on some bands you need a "heavily built" person. They could just mime if they don't play an instrument. Their gravitational pull can be use to modulate the wireless signal to compensate for these effects. You just need to know where to place them. That's how Meat Loaf started his career, and then he realised he could actually sing.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1418478244' post='2630506']
That's why on some bands you need a "heavily built" person. They could just mime if they don't play an instrument. Their gravitational pull can be use to modulate the wireless signal to compensate for these effects. You just need to know where to place them. That's how Meat Loaf started his career, and then he realised he could actually sing.
[/quote]

Damn!

I did think it was odd that my bandmates always had a recorded bass track for the songs we played. :(

Getting back on-topic... my pink Klotz cable arrived. I'll try it tonight. Maybe I'll arrange for the band to play the same song twice and I'll quickly swap cables to compare.

"Dundee, are you ready to skank???!!!" :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418479590' post='2630531']
Sac-up, you twink!
[/quote]

Well, I know that I won't be losing my cables anymore to other band members (or other bands sometimes even) when they pack in a hurry "oh, sorry, I thought it was one of mine!" :P

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1418489621' post='2630648']
If you have problems with wireless, the obvious solution is to hook it all together with a blue cable. It will solve all the problems of dropping out, and still have the benefits of being wireless
[/quote]

Is this the special blue 'metal free' type of wireless cable? :)

Edited by 3below

All this concern about cables pales into insignificance when compared to the effect atmospheric pressure has on speakers.
You can have the best coloured cable but if the air pressure in the atmosphere is high then your speaker won't be able to move fast enough to make those high frequencies clear anyway.
Ever had those days when your amp just sounds a bit muffled but you can't put your finger on why? You can bet it'll be a hot sunny day with high atmospheric pressure.
It has less of an effect on ported cabs as the pressure is equalised quicker, sealed cabs can be a nightmare.
It's for this reason that most outdoor festival stages are set up facing downwind, the event organisers are obviously hoping for good weather, which will usually be a result of high pressure, so the 'high atmospheric pressure driver unit slowing effect', as it's known, is counteracted by having the prevailing wind blowing from the stage towards the crowd, thus encouraging the driver units forwards by creating a tiny area of low pressure in front of the cabinets.
Ditch this cable colour bull and keep an eye on the weather.