Why become a member? ×

Dummy Amp stack. Where to rent in the UK?

Karl Derrick

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1417963637' post='2625478']
I have a cunning plan. Why not just rent a real one and turn the volume down to 0? It's radical but I think it might just work :)
[/quote][quote name='Number6' timestamp='1417964333' post='2625484']
This doesn't read as sarcasm to me.
[/quote]

Not just me then!!

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1417964079' post='2625481']
Weight is an issue,
potential theft is an issue,
insurance is an issue.
[/quote]

Most Marshall cabs I've come across have wheels which will make transporting them much easier :)

Wouldn't worry too much about theft as long as you don't leave it unattended in a vehicle overnight.

I reckon finding a dummy rig will be much more difficult than a real thing, strange as that might be!

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1417965110' post='2625499']
It has to be left on a dressed set at nights for about three weeks.

If the crew all know it's a dummy it won't get nicked.

I know dummy rigs are out there, I've used them on photo shoots and music promos in the past. I never rented them myself for any of those.
[/quote]

Most sets i've ever worked on have security day and night. Normally both for television and for films.

It being the case that we bass players rarely use dummy stacks we are possibly not best placed to advise. The OP might seek out the services of a film or theatrical prop hire company such as [url="http://www.prophire-backdrophire.com/"]this one[/url] . Google reveals a plenitude of such operations and I am sure at least one may meet the requirements.

That said, it may be relevant to consider the brand of dummy stack in the light of the character and their chosen musical genre. Movie-going bass players might blow an impertinent raspberry were the heroine be seen to be slapping away through a dummy Marshall valve head and an 8x12 stack.

Detail is everything. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1417964079' post='2625481']
While not without a sense of humour, I don't really see a need for such sarcasm when asking a perfectly straightforward question.

Weight is an issue,
potential theft is an issue,
insurance is an issue.

Dummy is the way to go.
[/quote]

If you put a :) after it it's not sarcasm.

This is sarcasm http://www.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/portable-guitar-amp-marshall-ms-4-battery-or-mains-powered/1091409986

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1417966229' post='2625517']
Two seconds on Google reveals that Marshall actually make facades for stage use.
[/quote]

No use if they're shooting in 3D. Or from the side in 2D.

Or one of those slow tracking shots when they sort of go round the actor in a semi-circle at a distance to indicate the sense of isolation and all-pervading grimness that characterises the Bass Player's Inner Self.

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1417966199' post='2625516']
Most directors don't really care what bass playing audience members (or any else) thinks about their choice of equipment :)
[/quote]

Yet [i]equipment[/i] is the node upon which the bass player constructs his or her emotional landscape. If there isn't a scene where the heroine wrestles with GAS and posts the question 'What's the best bass for metal?' on BassChat I shall write a letter to the Daily Mail's film critic.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1417965277' post='2625501']
Try John Henry's and if they can't help they will certainly know someone who can [url="http://www.johnhenrys.com/"]http://www.johnhenrys.com/[/url]
[/quote]
I was just about the suggest exactly the same thing. I'm pretty sure I've seen unloaded amps and cabs for hire on there before, though the current website doesn't give any info other than to assure us they've got a crap load of stuff.

Edited by Musky

I always found that a strategically placed courgette is always more of a talking point than a bunch of Marshalls behind you, not to mention cheaper and easily replaceable if it gets mashed. Perhaps you plan to do both, in which case John Henry is a good recommendation.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1417966959' post='2625532']
I was just about the suggest exactly the same thing. I'm pretty sure I've seen unloaded amps and cans for hire on there before, though the current website doesn't give any info other that to assure us they've got a crap load of stuff.
[/quote]

I know they've supplied TV shows I've worked on with empty cabs & amps so thought they'd be worth a shout but Karl has "withdrawn" from this thread?

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1417967189' post='2625537']
I know they've supplied TV shows I've worked on with empty cabs & amps so thought they'd be worth a shout but Karl has "withdrawn" from this thread?
[/quote]

Yeah, what's all this 'withdrawn' bollocks? Toys out of pram? Indecent photography removed by the Mods? It's ruined the thread for me. I might withdraw.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1417967311' post='2625538']
It's ruined the thread for me.
[/quote]

Me too. I had all sorts of helpful suggestions lined up. For one thing it's incredibly unlikely that a girlie bassist would be playing on her own. She'd be in a band, because bands fall over themselves to hire girlies who look like actresses and play bass. Tina Weymouth for one and Seashell for another

Also, practising in a ballroom would be silly. The acoustic environment would be atrocious. And no waif-like ingenue would ever be humping a full Marshall rig around. More like one of the MB combos and hardly anyone plays one of those.

No, the mise-en-scene is fatally flawed.

Assuming we're talking Mike Leigh gloomy-slice-of-life movies, what's really needed is a plump, bald, bad-tempered middle-aged man in a flat up a tower block with a Sue Ryder bass and an SS 1x10 practice amp.

I'm free.

Edited by skankdelvar