Why become a member? ×

Getting a band together, need advice

Twincam

As the title says im putting a band together i have some people interested who have all been in bands and are proven, so to say in there rolls. The weak link would be me having zero band experience, but im leading the project.
It will be an originals band i and my jamming partner have a few tunes. Things have been going ok actually. Im confident with a full band we could come up with something, i have no grand illusions but im confident.

I have written down costs and a plan for just one session in a rehearsal room see what happens keep it simple no pressure have a laugh. Im willing to pay for everything. However people while interested are on the fence a little, also im being looked upon to do everything and while im good at planning things i have no idea what im actually doing. I would of thought the others would of chipped in some knowledge but they were actually not involved in the other side of being in a band and were basically just in there rolls nothing else.

I could write down loads of points i need help with but instead im going to ask for any tips on getting a band up and running.
Also say i get people together in a rehearsal room although i said an easy no pressure thing what direction should i take. Normally while jamming i lead off and my mate who is a decent rhythm guitar player who is also in tune with my style and sympathetic to me not being experienced will add things on and basically will complete what im trying to do. He is in the band but dose not want to get involved with certain things.

Actually reading all that its pretty clear i don't have the experience etc to do this. maybe i should bin the idea???. Im confident and motivated but i don't want to come across as a tool.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1417204703' post='2618270']
Bands, don't talk to me about bands....

Have fun, that's the main thing.
[/quote]

Oh it started out fun till i picked up the phone sent emails off got the calculator out that was 4 hours ago, now my head is done in. I think im over thinking things or worrying to much the others seem cool about it but then again im supposed to be planning this thing.

There needs to be at least some sort of commitment from the other members. Rehearsal costs should be split between band members. If you can get that far, just keep rehearsing once a week, record everything you play on a Zoom recorder or similar, email the mp3s to all band members and listen carefully to them to see if there's any wheat in the chaff. Don't bother with a 'direction' at this point. Just see what happens.

Repeat. After a while you'll know if it's got legs or not. If there's a spark, write more songs, get a set together, rehearse the set, do some half-way decent recordings and send them to venues to see if you can get some gigs. That is, if you want to be a gigging band...

Don't set off a band by organising it all yourself AND paying for it - you'll get the pee taken badly. Any studio/rehearsal time costs should be split equally. It will start to get expensive (Forum, Darlo, couple of hours is over £15 a go) and it seems unless people are actually paying, then they are not so interested. In fact if you are organising it all I'd be pushing that you pay nowt and the others split the costs in lieu of your efforts.

It's well worth a go :)

[size=4]Originals bands can be great fun and if it doesn't work out... ah well back on the horse again until it does :)[/size]

[size=4]I had a [/size]disastrous[size=4] [/size][size=4] audition and met up with two nutters who think they are the next big thing this week... am I giving up? hell no, back to it next week...[/size]

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1417207623' post='2618301']
Don't set off a band by organising it all yourself AND paying for it - you'll get the pee taken badly. Any studio/rehearsal time costs should be split equally. It will start to get expensive (Forum, Darlo, couple of hours is over £15 a go) and it seems unless people are actually paying, then they are not so interested. In fact if you are organising it all I'd be pushing that you pay nowt and the others split the costs in lieu of your efforts.
[/quote]

yeah forum it would be i dont mind paying to get something started but i take you and discreet's point. Basically the vibe is if i want it then i must do it people are willing to play there part and until things are going somewhere its upon me.

Worst thing is im leading this and although i can play a bit im nowhere near the others. Although no one seems to mind lol.

Oh drummer who is interested, i only just learnt is missing his foot and cant guarantee he can still play. Already looking good

Ive also now got 4 guitarists 3 confirmed and ready to go, with that a new drummer but waiting for him to say yes officially.

Im now shitting myself these guys will smoke me im dreading ending up looking a right plum.

And now people are taking an interest too, which is good but really nervous. I cant follow anyone i don't have the experience etc all jamming ive been leading. Haha these guys been just saying how much they been practicing and things im thinking of telling them not to practice haha :mellow:

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1417209665' post='2618327']
I've also now got 4 guitarists 3 confirmed and ready to go, with that a new drummer but waiting for him to say yes officially.
I'm now shitting myself these guys will smoke me I'm dreading ending up looking a right plum...
[/quote]

Don't worry - guitarists never listen to what the bass is doing anyway... tru, dat. :)

Well time to change that as ive stated to them they will have to follow me, actually then i said do what you like ahhhhh. Ruined it already.
No but they will listen trust me.

Im actually feeling bit ill from this, and one of guitarists says he is worried he aint good enough he has ben playing for over ten years and sounds good to me i chose him as the lead as he is naturally good at that. he once did get offended last year when i said that think he thought i was saying he had no rhythm.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1417210314' post='2618338']
...Im actually feeling bit ill from this, and one of guitarists says he is worried he aint good enough...
[/quote]
It's just playing your instrument, don't worry about it, it'll sound better than you think :-)

I was going to ask what kind of band, but going on your last couple of posts I'll guess. it's a thrash metal band? :)
3 guitarists in a band are gonna either have you tearing your hair out because you can't hear yourself, or you'll love it because they know how to fit their sound into the band's sound & all work together.

My word of advice. After the 2nd session, get rid of anyone who's not showing a keen interest (regardless of how nice a guy they are), it'll only hold your hand back from getting past jamming.
& don't have more than 1 cover to jam at rehearsal until you get some songs written or they'll all start bringing "let's cover this" & before you know it, you're another rock covers band with a crap selection of songs (I've been down this road once before).

Jam. Make your own grooves & have fun.

It's really tough mate. You've just got to somehow link with a person that really digs what you're trying to do and hit it off with.

Once you're a duo with the same ideas, you'll find it a lot easier to put songs together and attract others to the band.

Good organisation from the bandleader also helps maintain interest from the other members. Regular emails with updates, room booking info and mp3's will help to clarify everything and get everyone on the same page.

Cut the chaff! If there's guys not pulling their weight or showing much interest, you gotta move them on ASAP.

Good luck!

Truckstop

Hi Twincam,
I love starting up bands its like a fresh piece of paper ready for a piece of art to be created :P. Running bands can be very hard work and i completely agree with the comments on here about sharing costs etc...this shows resolve and a level of commitment within the band. Whether its splitting the cost of a rehearsal room or buying a pa you all need to chip in. This also goes with chipping in with ideas and song choices and getting gigs,everyone should do their bit. If your just starting out i would suggest agreeing on a track to cover just so you have something all in common to have a go at. This way you will get a measure of each musician and a feel of what everyone can do. You can always drop the track once your up and running with your own material.
I would advise trying not to do everything and to get everyone involved and use each others experience to make it work. It can be very easy to fall out with people in bands so negotiation is key to a lot of it. Its a lot of give and take. For me i found chemistry between the players is really important whether in personalities and musical abilities/tastes. You all need to be going in the same direction.
Most of all have fun and enjoy the journey and let us know how you get on :biggrin:
Good Luck!

Thanks guys good advice i shall take it on board.
I did have a few ideas let me know if there rubbish. Ok the way me and my jamming partner start off is we play something we have come up with, and if the other likes one or more of those ideas we try and expand on it. ive said before i don't yet have the skills to just start jamming with someone so he talks me through what he is doing and helps me out. I thought get the gang together and start off like that.
While i don't really want to do a covers thing i thought i could get us all to practice playing together by getting us all to learn a few songs of varies difficulty maybe more in timing than technical difficulty.
Thoughts?.

At the min im just trying to see when everyone is free.

If you ca get them all to agree that covers are just for jamming on & not to play them down the local, then that's a start.
Choose songs that you can make sound like what you want the band to sound like & don't play note or note versions.

Bonding?. We all know each other. Although that does not bode well as i have had fights with two of them haha.
Will see what happens looks like be January we are getting together.
Think one of the could things is we are all into music in a big way and would literally all have a go at anything from folk to thrash metal. Also we have no grand illusions or expectations this is a jam session that will hopefully being going somewhere.

I shall post to let you know what happens even if its a total disaster. Hopefully i will last more than 3 hours in a band this time (dont ask, short but crap story).

My only advice would be, do it. A guy I know did his first ever gig a few months back, at the age of 50 plus. Him and one of his mates were chatting about bands, he plays drums, and his mate mentioned he had played bass many years ago. So between the pair of them, they recruited their mates who decided, well I`ll play trumpet/keyboards/guitar etc. Some of them complete beginners, having to then learn the instrument they`d chosen. And they all love it. You get so much out of playing in bands. Just take it easy and enjoy it. Don`t think of complicated stuff yet, just have a laugh and see where it takes you. Once you`re all playing well, then look at direction, recording, stuff like that but for the moment, full steam ahead on the having fun bit.

Find a pub that'll let you use their largely unused function room to (gently) jam in, it'll give you an idea of which guys you gel with and how good (or bad) the whole thing sounds - it ain't a race, take some time and get it (roughly) right, then you can worry about direction/rehearsals/gigs....good luck!
:)