Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1411959051' post='2564313']
Rob, a year will pass before you know it. I may get in line for a new order since I already just sold that recently acquired fretless, and cannot find a used MkIII 4-banger.
[/quote]

I know but I've been waiting for nine months already and it's killing me... Neck is done and fingerboard has gone on, running through various top wood options at the moment.

I had to go new in the end too as I got fed up of waiting for a MKIII sixer to come up used.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='kulit17' timestamp='1414420863' post='2589111']
cool!! there's a couple pics of a greenburst 6er in the Wal database: [url="https://www4.cs.fau.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html"]https://www4.cs.fau....al/walspec.html[/url]

the same guy that i got this greenburst from has two 6'ers himself: a purpleheart and a shedua.
[/quote]

That's lovely... I think if the ebony falls through I'll go for that with a matching headstock.

• 2 weeks later...

My newly purchased MKIII sixer has had a chance to settle in since it arrived last week, turned up in an apocalypse proof flightcase which weighs approximately four tons...

W17195 Shedua facings;

Not had a chance to take any proper pictures yet, but I'll do a proper NBD thread when I get the chance.

I'm loving the tone, so much so that I'm selling all my other basses... I have a MKIII sixer of my own being completed next year and I can't see me using anything other than a Wal in the future.

What are some of you guys favourite settings? I'm enjoying amongst others;

Neck pickup - 2 (not pulled up)
Bridge Pickup - 10 (not pulled up)
Balance - 3 notches from full neck pickup
Volume - 10 (pulled up)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415809872' post='2603995']
My newly purchased MKIII sixer has had a chance to settle in since it arrived last week, turned up in an apocalypse proof flightcase which weighs approximately four tons...

W17195 Shedua facings;

Not had a chance to take any proper pictures yet, but I'll do a proper NBD thread when I get the chance.

I'm loving the tone, so much so that I'm selling all my other basses... I have a MKIII sixer of my own being completed next year and I can't see me using anything other than a Wal in the future.

What are some of you guys favourite settings? I'm enjoying amongst others;

Neck pickup - 2 (not pulled up)
Bridge Pickup - 10 (not pulled up)
Balance - 3 notches from full neck pickup
Volume - 10 (pulled up)
[/quote]

Impressively handsome beast :gas:

It's a stunning bass, I don't blame you for selling up, must be a killer selling the Thumb though.

My current fave settings (as I recall without looking):

Bridge LP Fitler - 7 (pulled up) (frequently changing this filter +/- 2 notches depending on what I'm playing)
Neck LP Filter - 8 (not pulled up)
Balance - 1 notch towards Bridge
Volume - 10 (not pulled up)

All into an always-on Tech21 VT Bass Di, which seems to have been made to emphasise the Wal tone.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1415810602' post='2604005']
It's a stunning bass, I don't blame you for selling up, must be a killer selling the Thumb though.

My current fave settings (as I recall without looking):

Bridge LP Fitler - 7 (pulled up) (frequently changing this filter +/- 2 notches depending on what I'm playing)
Neck LP Filter - 8 (not pulled up)
Balance - 1 notch towards bridge
Volume - 10 (not pulled up)

All into a Tech21 VT Bass Di, which seems to have been made for the Wal tone.
[/quote]

Ah good, another tone for me to tryout tonight... :) I've been running mine into a Glockenklang Blue Sky set flat although I did get some lovely smoothness running through a sansamp BDDI... lots more experimentation to be had I think :)

It is a shame to part with the Thumb, it is a wonderful and unique bass. I just can't see a situation I'd be using it over thie Wal.

Decided on the woods for the incoming sixer Paul is building for me at the moment and I've gone for one off Macassar ebony facings... it's this piece in fact,

Should be ready next summer, the idea being to move this one on when I get the new one :) ... best intentions and all that :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Talking of Wals, a guy on Talkbass has a Shedua sixer similar to mine and he reckons his was the third one Pete built with a serial of W14995. Mine is W17195, so eight months older... Could mine be the first? anyone seen an older one?

*edit* ... maybe not... Just found an old BC thread where Rob Burns was selling a prototype from 1994.

Edited by CamdenRob

• 2 weeks later...