Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

thestick, it is really uncommon to see a top like yours on a Wal, and I like it very much.
In the past I've had he chance to try several Wals, and Paul made ones feature better fit 6 finish and attention to details.
If you went to Paul's workshop you might have seen my bass in the making; it should be done within March and this is how it looked like by the end of January.

[attachment=100912:Wal.jpg]

mc1970 Thanks for your comments, yes i picked the wood out of Paul,s supply it was an odd piece which I liked.
Although I dont think I have seen a wal that I did not like.
I might have seen your bass, there were a few hanging up almost finished.
Good luck with yours and please send photos when you recieve it .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1330088154' post='1552489']
....I think its great that "Paul's" current Wal production is so close to Pete's later instruments that even we (the bass obsessed) can't spot a difference!....
[/quote]

Being an ex Wal luthier helps but Paul also took over all Wal stock, wood, parts, patterns and some of the machinery. He has made the transition seamless.

My two Wals which I no longer have :( the pro 1 needed the electronics looking at but was offered over twice what i paid for it and like the shallow idiot i am fell for it. The custom was defretted badly then refretted with the wrong fret gauge and just wasn't the same. Still going to have another one at some point.

BB

• 3 months later...

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1346858422' post='1794119']
Gone full circle: my 1987 MKII 5 is back home again :D:
[/quote]

Beautiful! What wood are the facings on this one?
Also, could it be that MkII 5 have different spacings of pickups depending on age? My (formerly mikeswals') '93 looks as if the neck pickup is closer to the neck...

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1347032852' post='1796281']
English olive ash facings on that one.
[/quote]

That is a truly lovely finish, but how much work/ how many coats of laquer were needed to get that smooth finish? my 1987 Mk1 pair (both sold now sadly!) were olive ash, and the grain was[b] very [/b]open, and would have needed several gallons to fill the grain that smoothly!!

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1347032852' post='1796281']
English olive ash facings on that one. Don't know about varying pickup placements on MKIIs though - maybe Mike's was a custom configuration?
But, seriously - you don't need it to be nearer the neck unless you want to start WW3 with it ;)
I just used the Wal for recordings - what a nuclear assault ...
[/quote]

Ok. Now my curiousity is wakened...

MkII 4 string
Distance from 24th fret to first row of pole pieces: 7.5 cm
Distance between pickups, 2nd and 3rd row of pole pieces: 5cm

MkII 5 String
Distance from 24th fret to first row of pole pieces: 6.5 cm
Distance between pickups, 2nd and 3rd row of pole pieces: 6cm

Thus, the neck pickup on my 5er is closer to the neck... and if you check out various pics of MkII and MkIII 5 strings in this thread, it seems that there are two different placements available.

BTW, measurements were done on these two...

1993 MkII schedua facings, mahogany core, ebony fretboard, gold hardware, trans red poly finish

[IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/oliAtBass/Wal/W3757/IMG_7987.jpg[/IMG]
1993 MkII American walnut facings, mahogany core, ebony fretboard, gold hardware

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1347426490' post='1800589']
Oli,
The five string basses do have wider pickup spacing than the 4 strings. But, if you look through the Wal database, at least from the instruments submitted to that list, there have been folks who requested closer spacing. Oddio's MkIII 5 has the pickups stacked pretty close together.
[/quote]

Thanks Mike. That's what I suspected. Oddio's MkIII is way cool. Would love to know how it sounds. I did check the Wal database (which unfortunately seems to be not maintained anymore) but couldn't find any hints on pickup spacing. But I found a couple of other interesting details :)

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1347428002' post='1800593']
So the 2009 bass Bobpalt was selling now is mine, and someone snapped a pic of last weekends gig doing its' thing. [/quote]

Thumbs up for being so brave! I'm not sure I'd take my Wals to a gig. Yet. BTW, I envy your gigging schedule. Both of my band projects are currently in the song writing and rehearsal phase. Hope to be back on stage by spring next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for anyone who has owned a single pickup Pro in the bridge position. What is that like? I'm considering the passive rear-single Pro, but I've never seen or heard one in person. Is it at all like soloing my Custom's rear pickup? Or since it has the series switch, does it make it have more lowend than hearing a Custom soloed. I'm trying to figure out if it has enough lowend that I can keep up in a rock band mix.