Why become a member? ×

Mike Lull Jeff Ament Thunderbird

NancyJohnson

...no, I haven't pulled the trigger.

Just wanted to post this link to a You Tube video of Branden Campbell of Neon Trees doing a piece for the Chicago Music Exchange. (How do I post the video here?)

I just find it very refreshing to watch a regular guy just play [i]simply [/i]so you can just hear the tone of the bass and amp combination; it's more honest than all these blokes who just showboat and slap like crazy men.
P

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdOe_wq7_oU#t=281"]https://www.youtube....Oe_wq7_oU#t=281[/url]

Edited by NancyJohnson

BRX: Thanks for doing the link.

discreet: I really can't bear these guys rat-a-tat-tatting in these videos; I don't slap, I don't know how to or want to. On the bass front, the body and headstock are 20% larger...I'm probably 20% bigger than your average person, so it should look normal on me!

P

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1415388260' post='2599905']
Erm, I do. Being in an 80's covers band, it kind of comes with the territory :-)
[/quote]

That's perfectly acceptable under the circumstances - it's people who do it for real that get on my wick. :P

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415397560' post='2600041']
Well, you should. We'll all be longtime dead soon enough.
[/quote]

I'm doing some hard thinking about this...very hard thinking. The thing is that I'm pretty happy with what I've got in the arsenal; I wouldn't be happy taking a Lull out to many of the sh*thole gigs I do with the Johnsons.

Edited by NancyJohnson

Hey Nancy J!

I've see a Lull TB up close and they're huge the guy playing it was abt 6'4" so it looked in proportion but still! If you're happy with your rig what about pick ups? Some Lollars or TV Jones? That might keep things 'interesting' without spending huge!

I'm thinking of doing this with my mass bass for fun but the one set of pick ups I'm after don't come in a 5 string set!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1415370242' post='2599702']I just find it very refreshing to watch a regular guy just play [i]simply [/i]so you can just hear the tone of the bass and amp combination; it's more honest than all these blokes who just showboat and slap like crazy men.
[/quote]
Agreed, but slapping ain't the only problem. When the new Fender Classic Player Rascal Bass was first introduced, the guy who did the showcase video was doing some crazy things with the bass instead just playing all the PU configurations the same way, he palm muted in one position, thumb plucked in the other, never actually showing the clear sound of the instrument, making it sound really mediocre. Slapping and other techniques like that should be rather used in showcases after showing the generous dose of regular hand picking. :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1415389372' post='2599931']
Bearing in mind it's size and that the body is mahogany, 9lb is not too shabby.
List £4450 though? Mmm.
[/quote]

That's it. I didn't have a try on this model, but from what I can hear, it sounds pretty darn close to old Greco replicas, from late '70s and late '80s, which don't require so many bucks.

The playing is refreshing indeed, useful "hear how it sounds with a pick" demo. I wouldn't expect a "slap in your face"-type demo with a tbird though, not sure it's the right poney :lol:

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1415968091' post='2605663']
FTFY
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1415968204' post='2605665']
FIFY again.
[/quote]
Let's not go overboard, there are some who play funky, sometimes a little slap is not a bad thing :)
And guys like Claypool who use magnificent slapping in mixed genre music, but you know that.

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1415975588' post='2605766']
Let's not go overboard, there are some who play funky, sometimes a little slap is not a bad thing :)
And guys like Claypool who use magnificent slapping in mixed genre music, but you know that.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm just jealous because I can't do it. :)

Nancy, if you are thinking hard, they are sooooo good. Very special basses. I had a collection of around twenty vintage gibsons and fenders and now I just have this. It spanks everything. I've played Tbirds for years, new and vintage and again the Lull is king.
My guitarist mate played it and now has a Lull fx guitar.

The build quality is excellent and the tone is deep and full. The advantage over the mahogany Gibsons is you can spec the lulls with maple/ash/alder so you can give it more cut than a gibson. I have a Maple/ash one and I have mahogany/ maple oversized PT4 on order.

For me the oversized body (15% not 20% as Brandon says) makes total sense as regular basses/ Tbirds always felt small to me. One other advantage is it then makes everything else you play feel like a toy so it instantly cures GAS. Aside from the Lull I just ordered I haven't bought a bass in three years.

You're a T bird man so I'm pretty sure you will like them. It fixes all the problems on the regular gibsons. Also the neck is a little fatter on the lull.

Do it.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1416132328' post='2607078']

From this video, it sounds just like my old Greco.
[/quote]

I agree. And they're reasonably light too. I had three TB1100 from late '80s, every one of them was under the 9 lbs mark. Great basses for the money.

Edited by hoochiekoochie

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1416128396' post='2607033']
Do it.
[/quote]

Bass Direct have a red one for 'only' £3K. I'd have to shift a couple of basses, but in truth I'd only go for the black model. I have an American mate who visits these shores on business a few times a year...that alone could save me a few ££s. Ack, we'll see.
P

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1416134009' post='2607114']

Says 20% on Lull's website

http://www.mikelull.com/site/instruments/signature/signature-ament.html
[/quote]

It does say that yes but it's wrong. In an interview with Mike, Ament asked for 20% but it was too big apparently so they went with 15.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1416137950' post='2607180']

Bass Direct have a red one for 'only' £3K. I'd have to shift a couple of basses, but in truth I'd only go for the black model. I have an American mate who visits these shores on business a few times a year...that alone could save me a few ££s. Ack, we'll see.
P

[/quote]

Yeah the black one was very tempting. If your man in the US can bring you one it would definitely help. Lead times are quite long now as mikes work gets more popular.