Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1415280835' post='2598706']
Been following the composition challenge for a while now.

Just bought myself a focusrite interface. May use this a an incentive to learn ropes.

So there may be an entry from me later in the month. See how I get on with it....
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1415280835' post='2598706']
Been following the composition challenge for a while now.

Just bought myself a focusrite interface. May use this a an incentive to learn ropes.

So there may be an entry from me later in the month. See how I get on with it....
[/quote]

Dive right in mate and give it a go, it's the best way of learning and you'll get some great feedback from these folks.

Ok, finished. Here is my entry. Can't do any more work on it after today so it is what it is. Went more down the sample route this month just so i could get one done. Here it is

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dreaded-ted/a-little-bit-of-disco"]https://soundcloud.c...le-bit-of-disco[/url]

Edited by Lord Sausage

Everyones a bit quick off the mark this month :o

I have the bones down , I have even recorded a vocal , but again , I am really hoping to get a visit from someone who can sing to give it a proper shot , even Lurksalittle winced at the suggestion she could contribute , so while it is a little bit poop , it just might have to suffice , I will hang on in hope though .

I will listen to the others when I am uploaded , looking forward to it .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1415566310' post='2601564']
Everyones a bit quick off the mark this month :o

I have the bones down , I have even recorded a vocal , but again , I am really hoping to get a visit from someone who can sing to give it a proper shot , even Lurksalittle winced at the suggestion she could contribute , so while it is a little bit poop , it just might have to suffice , I will hang on in hope though .

I will listen to the others when I am uploaded , looking forward to it .
[/quote]
at least you have the bare bones, i have nothing

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1415567151' post='2601577']
[/quote]

:o[size=4] ..? At least you've got an opening first line..! (... although it might swing better as '[/size][size=3][i]At least you have the bare bones, I have nowt[/i]'. Can you pull off the accent, though..? :unsure: )[/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1415570918' post='2601640']

:o[size=4] ..? At least you've got an opening first line..! (... although it might swing better as '[/size][size=3][i]At least you have the bare bones, I have nowt[/i]'. Can you pull off the accent, though..? :unsure: )[/size]
[/quote]

Oh , Dad, you are sooooo close , I have tried to put on a fake accent to add a bit of interest to my dire vocal tones , I am not a fan ofy own voice but at least I have disguised it a touch .

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1415567151' post='2601577']

[/quote]

It amazes me sometimes how something just kicks in and gives me an idea , I don't for one minute suggest it is a good idea , but it's something to work on , and besides , with this challenge I find the journey to be as much of the fun as the destination ;)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1415572791' post='2601677']

I have tried to put on a fake accent to add a bit of interest to my dire vocal tones , I am not a fan ofy own voice but at least I have disguised it a touch .
[/quote]

Can't be any worse than mine!
I've been tempted to get autotune, but for the moment notch filters, reverb and delay will have to suffice...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1415621627' post='2602002']
I am thinking of the image rather than it's title. Two people can be dancing to any form of dance music and not just disco so that really opens it up.
[/quote]

Absolutely. I originally had some ragtime theme running through my head, which I might yet return to if I can drop the sequinned flared trousers and... well, I don't know where that sentence is going :blink:

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1415550682' post='2601374']
Finally finished mine...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/dance-until-you-drop"]https://soundcloud.c...-until-you-drop[/url]
[/quote]

Im liking this at the moment.

I haven't actually started mine yet as I still need to buy some decent studio monitors.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1415572963' post='2601679']
It amazes me sometimes how something just kicks in and gives me an idea , I don't for one minute suggest it is a good idea , but it's something to work on , and besides , with this challenge I find the journey to be as much of the fun as the destination ;)
[/quote]
some months work for me, others not so much and i hate entering ideas that i am not happy with.
i've tried the idea of sitting and chipping away at ideas that are not working, but often this leaves me frustrated and wastes my time. now i go with the mantra of if it hits me straight off ill do it, if not i don't. which is why i don't enter every month anymore.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1415606736' post='2601805']
Can't be any worse than mine!
I've been tempted to get autotune, but for the moment notch filters, reverb and delay will have to suffice...
[/quote]

Oh yes , I am with you all the way , but I have invoked the wrath of 'Reatune' with a fairly heavy attack , so its a full house so far from me , the only trick left is to have it so low in the mix that you can barely hear it :rolleyes: ,
I asked the daughter if she would contribute her beautiful vocal tones , but alas , she says my vocal work so far makes her ears sick and she does not wish to be associated with it :lol:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1415648780' post='2602412']...
I asked the daughter if she would contribute her beautiful vocal tones , but alas , she says my vocal work so far makes her ears sick and she does not wish to be associated with it :lol:
[/quote]

Am I allowed to congratulate lurksalittle on her good taste, and reassure her that she is not alone..? :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1415647350' post='2602391']
That's the level of commitment I like to hear! :D Good on ya and welcome aboard.
[/quote]

Im actually following your Introduction to recording threads Skol. Got a Focusright Scarlett, looking at getting monitors this weekend, just need to learn a DAW. I have used Mixcraft but might take a look at that Reaper this weekend....

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1415709557' post='2602853']
I plug my laptop and Focusrite/keyboard into my stereo, so no need for separate monitors...
All you need is a pair of 1/4" to RCA leads to plug into a hifi amp.
So long as your hifi speakers are relatively neutral you'll be fine!
[/quote]

I was thinking of going this route. But my Hi Fi and floor standing speakers are all situated as the TV sound system. Was looking at ordering these from Thomann:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_eris_5.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_eris_5.htm[/url]

Then cracking on with an entry. Even if its something simple to get me started :)