Why become a member? ×

Effects for fretless bass...

Jigster

• 2 years later...

Just a little compression. Apart from that occasional octave and chorus if the song needs it but don't to go too 80's :)

[quote name='vailbass' timestamp='1419659782' post='2641645']
octave box on fretless was fun in the 80's, for sure... never use compression, you'll lose the expressiveness that makes playing fretless so rewarding. I don't use any effects on my fretted or fretless, save for a little reverb on a recorded solo. You've all you need with 8 fingers and 2 thumbs (hopefully :-))
[/quote]
I disagree, light compression will help with sustain and help the notes ring out. Check these out:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTTzcb4z-ZY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=NTTzcb4z-ZY[/url]
and
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NczyGuRnl8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=5NczyGuRnl8[/url]

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1414689021' post='2592305']
Boss bass limiter/ enhancer to bring out the "mwaaaaahhhh" - great for my fretless, still got to find a setting on it I like for my fretted basses. Tried a Boss bass chorus and just personally didn't like it so sold it on. Boss digital delay works nicely with it too. I use my fretless for heavier music too so distortion and fuzz (EHX Bass Blogger being the current weapon of choice) does very nicely
[/quote]
Out of interest, if you still have the Boss limiter enhancer what settings do you use for fretless? I use this pedal foe exactly the same purpose.

Edited by CliveT

I like a Phase 90 with the sweep set very slow, just to emphasis slides. For more 'effecty' stuff, on slides - and especially harmonic slides - I use a TC flashback set to tape delay or sometimes reverse delay but only engage it as I execute the slide and disengage at the end of it. Like everything else though, it depends what everyone else is playing.

[quote name='CliveT' timestamp='1501513641' post='3345172']
Out of interest, if you still have the Boss limiter enhancer what settings do you use for fretless? I use this pedal foe exactly the same purpose.
[/quote]

Quite boringly I use the "enhance" recommended settings in the manual! Does the job so I don't mess with it from there. And I still don't use this pedal for my fretted basses.
Since my earlier post I have added a Hartke bass chorus pedal which is great for the fretless and am now using an ashdown amp head and it's octave setting works nicely too, would be better still if I get the octave effect footswitched.

Incidentally I also spent about a month without gigs rehearsing with only my fretless and a very old zoom 506 multi effect. In the mix leaving this on the factory A1 effect, which is some kind of quite subtle flanger, it worked with everything! I have an 80s boss flanger on my main board so will experiment with this and the fretless on Thursday night...

Edited by uk_lefty

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1501572149' post='3345532']
Quite boringly I use the "enhance" recommended settings in the manual! Does the job so I don't mess with it from there. And I still don't use this pedal for my fretted basses.
Since my earlier post I have added a Hartke bass chorus pedal which is great for the fretless and am now using an ashdown amp head and it's octave setting works nicely too, would be better still if I get the octave effect footswitched.

Incidentally I also spent about a month without gigs rehearsing with only my fretless and a very old zoom 506 multi effect. In the mix leaving this on the factory A1 effect, which is some kind of quite subtle flanger, it worked with everything! I have an 80s boss flanger on my main board so will experiment with this and the fretless on Thursday night...
[/quote]

Thanks. So you're not using any compression, just adding a bit of the enhance for top end. I can see the sense in that if you don't want to compress at all

[quote name='CliveT' timestamp='1501576101' post='3345553']

Thanks. So you're not using any compression, just adding a bit of the enhance for top end. I can see the sense in that if you don't want to compress at all
[/quote]

Yes, I use the amps built in compressor for my fretted basses but would switch this off and engage the "enhance" when playing fretless. As well as eq tinkering.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1501613233' post='3345974']
Out of interest, for those suggesting octavers on fretless, do you mean specifically octave down or octave up?
[/quote]Down for me as that allows me play higher up and overcome any tracking issues on the lower notes with my EBS Octabass.

Out of interest, for those suggesting octavers on fretless, do you mean specifically octave down or octave up?
[/quote]
Octave down. It's great fun to play Stevie Wonder lines up the dusty end with a sub octave.

Try it, you might like it.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1501617126' post='3346012']

Octave down. It's great fun to play Stevie Wonder lines up the dusty end with a sub octave.

Try it, you might like it.
[/quote]

Ah...I'll have to get me a fretless first! I'm currently GASing for an Ibanez SRF Portamento 5-string...

[/quote]
Octave down here too. It fattens up the sound when playing higher up the neck. I find the octave up is more a specific sound if the situation is right but octave down can beef up a chorus or bridge etc as well as be an effect in it's own right.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1501603838' post='3345858']
A smidgen of overdrive to add some extra harmonic content and growl.
[/quote]

I've been playing with this and do find it adds a nice warmth and bloom to the notes. Really tasty and can be quite subtle. It kind of gives you that growl over the whole range which sounds lovely.

Personally I have an octave, stereo chorus with separate depth/speed for the high and low frequencies (shallower and faster with less clean mix on the top end). I also use some reverb, and switch between room and hall settings depending on what I'm doing, though live I don't use any. I also like a delay, slapping back at me with 50% of the original volume, again in stereo.

I also find it handy to have the high mids at my fingertips so I can adjust the gain and frequency centre on the fly, which opens out lots of sounds.

Most of the time though it's clean, rear pickup, reverb.

Properly applied compression will help the mwah come out. Ideally you want a compressor that lets you set the attack/release to enhance the sound.

Some gentle overdrive/saturation may also help to bring out the the harmonics and give the bass more 'character'.