Why become a member? ×

Gear4Music LA Bass - any info?

dazza14

I fancy picking up a cheap Precision-shaped bass and I was wondering if anyone had any experience, positive or negative, about the Gear4Music branded LA bass ( [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/LA-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Pink/7LN"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/LA-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Pink/7LN[/url] ) it comes in a variety of finishes, including a sparkly silver and pink but is it any good? Even as a bass to pimp up with pickups, tuners, even neck (it would be nice to find something with a 'common' width neck pocket so if need be I could drop in a Squier one. I also see Westfield's pop up on e-bay, these seem better built but heavier, but a pretty even comparison with regard to price...

I've got a red'n'white one that I got for 30 tokens, and TBH it's going nowhere. The neck is fab for a cheapie, its the best part of it. It makes all the right noises and that does me. I swapped the tuners on it, they held tune well enough but weren't smooth and were horrid to look at. A set of decent strings and it goes everywhere with me as back-up and occasional 'I feel like playing a red one' gigger.

If you want to hear one go on my SignedClyde below - I used it on the song 'Trapped'. I thought it needed a P sound and had it with me, job done!

Edited by Vinny

I got a second hand one for £35 for a mate who was starting, I really didn't like it and had to confess to him that I thought it was awful. He kept it anyway and now has one bass at home and the LA at work. From my experience, there are far better and more comfortable cheap basses out there, A second hand Squier affinity would be a good start. Still, we all like different things!

In my collection of basses I've got 2 Warwicks and a G&L. My go-to is the Gear4Music LA.

I got it on evilbay for £40 plus delivery with a soft padded case thrown in. Bargain!

When it arrived it was unplayable. Someone had tried a set up, but it was no good. I whipped the neck off, fitted a shim, set it up and all was good.

I entered it, as it then was, in the Herts Bass bash P-Bass head-to-head sound competition and it came 7th out of 12 basses; ahead of 2 USA Fenders.

Having it back after the competion I've fitted a Hipshot bridge and SD pups.

My views on the parts:

[b]Neck [/b]- can't fault it. It's a P bass neck, slim and well finished.
[b]Body[/b] - it's a light weight wood. It's fairly soft, so accepts dings more easily than I'd like. If I was to re-paint it, I'd sand down some of the shaping to soften some of the edges where your picking arm goes over. Mine is the "Sparkly silver". Actually it's got a bit of a green, tinge going on. It's not a real silver.
[b]Tuners[/b] - agree with Vinny. They're ok, but not the greatest.
[b]Bridge[/b] - ok, but not the greatest.
[b]Pick ups[/b] - more "metal" than my taste, but good. They certainly have more windings than some expensive pups I've seen.

It's a great bass if you pick one up cheap, as a chuck-about bass if you don't want to risk damage to your Warwick. I'd probably prefer to have a Squier shaped body. I cleaned the G4M logo off of the headstock of mine, but then I'm a snob.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1413480299' post='2578720']
They might be worth a punt but for the same price or less you can get.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_50_sb_vintage_series.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...tage_series.htm[/url]

Or

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hot_rod_bass.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ot_rod_bass.htm[/url]

Both look like better options to me.
[/quote]

That PJ looks rather lush. Me likey!

I forgot - just like Grangur's I had to throw a shim in it. All good after.

Edited by Vinny

• 5 years later...

I want to learn how to play bass and I'm wondering what to buy. Was going to buy a Fender precision but I figure for a beginner it's too much, especially if I discover I'm useless or I hate it. So I'm thinking what's the best bass to buy, the Gear4Music or a Squier by Fender. I was going to go for one of those 'packs'. What's the word on the street?

45 minutes ago, Mitt said:

I want to learn how to play bass and I'm wondering what to buy. Was going to buy a Fender precision but I figure for a beginner it's too much, especially if I discover I'm useless or I hate it. So I'm thinking what's the best bass to buy, the Gear4Music or a Squier by Fender. I was going to go for one of those 'packs'. What's the word on the street?

Gear4music own brand basses are terrible. An ideal starter bass is a Squier Bronco short scale bass. Being short scale they are easy to use, the neck on them are brilliant, and it's got simple controls (volume and tone), plus they are relatively lightweight. Also, the resale prices hold up better than most basses.

Those packs ( if I understand what you are saying) usually bundle in a small amp and strap too. However they are the cheapest Squier available, called the Affinity and a better beginners bass are the next level Squiers called Classic Vibe.

If you really want cheap however try a Harley Benton from Thomann and they do them bundled with an amp, tuner, cable  and strap for under £200.