Why become a member? ×

Tell me about American Special Precisions

Heket

My current bass needs a rehaul of its faulty electronics and, after a year of playing with it, I have decided that it's not the tone for me and I'm not too keen on the active part either. I went to test some basses and decided almost as soon as I plugged it in - I want a P-bass. That tone just speaks to me, it's how I think bass should sound (totally personal opinion!). I have only been playing a year with no look to gigging particularly, but it was recently my 30th birthday and I want to treat myself to a nice bass.

I originally intended to get a high end Squier or MIM Standard as I put my budget at around £300-500. I tried Standard and Classic 50s, for some reason no one had any Squier P-basses. The Classic 50's had an edge on tone for me, but I didn't like the extra width in the neck and tiny frets. Then I spotted an American Special. It was a Jazz but I got an idea of the difference in aesthetics and build. I'm a sucker for nice wood so I would always go for sunburst, and the wood underneath the finish looked a lot nicer in the Special. It felt a tad better balanced too, and the fret edges were nice and smooth. But would I pay over £300 more for it?

It looks like I'm not going to find an American Special P-bass to play before ordering so I wondered if you fine people can tell me a little about them? Are they good value, how do they compare to the MiMs? Are they just to "fill the gap" between the MiM and the American Standards or do they have their own merit?

Thanks!

I have an American Special, a 2012 honeyburst. The neck is [i]fantastic[/i] and it's a great all round bass. Weighs 8.5lb, great balance, beautifully put together, and the hand rubbed stain finish on the alder body gives it a lovely organic vibe.

I've made a few mods: Dunlop straplocks, a mint green scratchplate, tug bar, and Hipshot Lollypop HB7 tuners. Really happy with how it's turned out.

I posted these pics in another thread, but they're worth showing again :)

Ezbass - I watched that video several times because I love the P-bass tone! I preferred the 77 for fingerstyle and the US98 for pick. I don't slap (yet?) so that's less of a concern. I'm not stretching all the way up to an American standard though. It'd be nice, but I have only been playing a year after all.

Darren - thanks for the input, I didn't know the necks were "special", as it were.

Walbassist - In my searches on the subject I've come across your bass several times! It sure is a beauty, and if I could find one that looked like that there would be no hesitation.

The necks don't have the graphite reinforcement of the US Standards I believe, but they never used to back in '62 either!

I'm not a fan of the greasebucket tone circuit myself. It's good for removing treble bite but does not provide that fat low end boost that that traditional circuit does when you roll off the tone, which works really well for the Motown sound. Easy to fix with a new capacitor though!

Edited by dannybuoy

The necks do indeed have the posiflex graphite rods. The American Specials are great, try and play a few and pick the one you like best. Generally speaking I'd say the are worth the extra over a MiM. I like the pickup and the Grease bucket circuit, though some don't. I don't think there are any of those FSR Honey Burst ones about new now, but they were bargains. Might be worth a quick Google search.

I don't think there is anything to fix as I liked the sound of the jazz I owned. That said, a new and quality wiring kit including CTS pots and switchcraft jack socket can be purchased on this very forum and doesn't cost much. I know this because I just bought one :)

'ere y'go:

http://www.fender.com/series/american-special/american-special-precision-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

(click on "specs" next to "overview". Then scroll down to the bottom, it's listed as one of the "unique features")

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='loudandclear' timestamp='1412678600' post='2570916']
thank you I did check that and have now just noticed that unlike the American standard spec sheet it is listed in the misc features , thank you , does make you wonder what the actual difference is between the special and the am standard !
[/quote]

Well the necks are much thinner front to back (I had an Am Special jazz neck on my P bass - very slim but rock solid thanks to the Posiflex rods) and I believe the bodies are slightly thinner front to back also (mentioned in a review somewhere - can't remember where sorry) which means the Specials are known for being relatively lighter in weight than the Am Standards.
I so wish Fender would make an American Special 5 string Precision. I would have one instantly!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1412529973' post='2569641']
I have an American Special, a 2012 honeyburst. The neck is [i]fantastic[/i] and it's a great all round bass. Weighs 8.5lb, great balance, beautifully put together, and the hand rubbed stain finish on the alder body gives it a lovely organic vibe.

I've made a few mods: Dunlop straplocks, a mint green scratchplate, tug bar, and Hipshot Lollypop HB7 tuners. Really happy with how it's turned out.

I posted these pics in another thread, but they're worth showing again :)

[/quote]

That's a beauty...

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1412681544' post='2570959']
They save money by not supplying the hard case and not rolling the edges of the fingerboard. I think the plates are a bit cheaper too but it's nothing major in terms of difference.
[/quote]

Also, less finish choice and no tort pickguards, no CS pickup, hi-mass bridge or string thru option, no hipshot tuners either. The Specials are really great though. I wish they still did the Honey Burst finish!!

not really a P guy but i gots a AM special J bass next to me.
neck is AWESOME if you like it thin. if you want a baseball bat then its marvellous turn off and goodbye

graphite rod IS in the neck and has been since the models conception, i've never had an issue with electronics or anything since 2011(huh never noticed my serial number ends in 000 until now)
mines got a couple of tiny knicks and scratches to the finish but if you look after it you'll be wicked. when i got it i tried it next to the HWY1s and sterling ray34s and its fit and finish was waaaay above those two
the only thing i'll say which MIGHT have been fixed now is i tried 3 of them and they ALL played VERY different aka not qute as high QC checks as i would hope but the better ones were amazing and the bad ones were like a MIM(but this i think was the first year of their introduction)

and it sounds a babe.

[quote name='Passifid' timestamp='1413038598' post='2574425']
not really a P guy but i gots a AM special J bass next to me.
neck is AWESOME if you like it thin. if you want a baseball bat then its marvellous turn off and goodbye
[/quote]

Yup, that sounds good. I did compare the MiM and the American Special Jazzes seeing as they were both there and I much preferred the Special. It felt comfortable and it "fit". Made my SUB Ray4 feel like a right plank.

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1413050345' post='2574551']
Yup, that sounds good. I did compare the MiM and the American Special Jazzes seeing as they were both there and I much preferred the Special. It felt comfortable and it "fit". Made my SUB Ray4 feel like a right plank.
[/quote] haha i played the sub4 ray the other week while getting a service on the jazz(i knooow) i thought it was a lovely bass but the neck was huge, really impressed with its neck laquer though

[quote name='Passifid' timestamp='1413058949' post='2574637']
haha i played the sub4 ray the other week while getting a service on the jazz(i knooow) i thought it was a lovely bass but the neck was huge, really impressed with its neck laquer though
[/quote]

Yeah, it's good but sadly I got one of the duds when it comes to electronics. I suppose comfort is all about how a particular instrument sits with your own body frame and posture, and naturally that's a very personal thing. It's like with electrics, I like SGs and everything else feels like an elephant.