Why become a member? ×

NBD Classic Sabre

drTStingray

Mahogany body, roasted maple neck with nice flame, and neptune blue finish - this stunner turned up today. It sounds fabulous also - very focussed sound - selecting the bridge humbucker and single coil neck pick up, with the 2 band EQ, produces the classic MM 2 band sound with a little more warmth and bottom end - it was worth the four month wait :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1411623443' post='2561195']
That is a beaut. Love the roasted maple.

Worth the wait by the looks of it.
[/quote]

Yeah definitely worth the wait - nearly four months 😩 I'm really liking the sound of the 2 band EQ with 2 pick ups and the different coil selections. The roasted maple neck is oil and wax finished so is super smooth - headstock is matt varnished. The finish changes dependent on lighting.

I have a wedding gig at the end of the month so will be using this bass for it. I can't wait.

The bass is very rare as a mahogany bodied Sabre.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1411738645' post='2562420']
Neptune Blue and a flamed, roasted maple neck? I don't understand the taste that some people have...
But each to their own, I guess. :D

Congrats, Dr. T! That's one of the finest ones right there.

PS for the uninitiated:
I'm a sucker for these, as Dr. T knows very well.
[/quote]

Thanks - and you should post a pic of your Neptune blue SR's headstock - droolworthy neck - when's the Bongo due?

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1411712805' post='2562072']
Enjoy the gig, I'm sure it will sound superb and be a pleasure to play.
[/quote]

Thanks (and to everyone else's comments) - I've been playing it through my ABM500 at home and it really sounds great. I said it before but the Neptune blue version of the Classic MMs has an oil and wax rather than lacquered finish - this makes for effortless movement up and down the neck.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1411764513' post='2562679']
you should post a pic of your Neptune blue SR's headstock - droolworthy neck - when's the Bongo due?
[/quote]

Hadn't I done so? I'm sure I had in that I-never-understood-people-and-their-NBDs thread.
The Bongo is said to be due in December.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1411767418' post='2562735']

Hadn't I done so? I'm sure I had in that I-never-understood-people-and-their-NBDs thread.
The Bongo is said to be due in December.
[/quote]
Oh yes, so you did!! Did you order the Bongo during the extra ordering window recently?

Edited by drTStingray