Why become a member? ×

Dancing on stage

The Funk

Do you dance on stage? The only reason I ask is that my band has recently started bullying our singer to dance a bit on stage. He's responded by saying we should coordinate some moves at certain points for the whole band.

So, which is cooler: the singer dances on his own, the band does a few coordinated moves - or both or neither? Bear in mind that my band is a funk band, not a metal band, punk band, prog or jazz-rock band.

Singer dancing on his own...

Band doing a few coordinated moves...

Also, in general, what do you guys do when it comes to moving about on stage?

Edited by The Funk

I just dance like a motherlicker ^_^

Although it must be difficult from a funk perspective. Take a look at JK, Hes doing all the grooving thats for sure.

Personally, i find coordinated movs in a band a bit cheesy.

Edited by ste_m3

As soon as I start to move about with anything more than a vigorous walk I can forget about playing the right thing cos it all goes to sh*t :)

I’d love to work out how I can dance about a bit more and play the right thing (how the f*** does Flea do what he does?!), but it compromises my playing so much.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='250873' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:26 PM']how the f*** does Flea do what he does?![/quote]

I'm the same! Whenever I try anything more than a few movements I completely forget what I'm playing or loose my hand positions.

[quote name='Scorchin' post='250880' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:33 PM']I'm the same! Whenever I try anything more than a few movements I completely forget what I'm playing or loose my hand positions.[/quote]

Too right - I reckon standing as still as possiible while staring as hard as you can at the fretboard is the only way to go. :)

Organised bits plus singer on his own plus you grooving on you own plus you grooving with another musician in the band, or with the singer.

All of the above will look a zillion times better than standing stock still.

So you drop the odd note here or there, so what?
If you aren't making a live album no one will notice the odd bass fluff but everyone in the place will notice if you are movin' and groovin'

Funk's about powering dancing isn't it? Why should the audience have all the fun ...

I move around as much as I can, because thats what the music dictates, it's not a choice!
It just happens :)

Sometimes it compromises some playing, but who cares, I'm having fun, and an audience want to see a good show, not a note perfect rendition of whatever the tune is!

Si

[quote name='steve1879' post='250872' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:25 PM']I don't know about dancing but I certainly jump about about like an idiot when I'm playing with the punk band![/quote]
That'll be me :) Vocalist plays dodge the headstock :huh:

Actual choreographed moves probably not unless done by all with conviction , but generally is probably a bit cheesy. That said some sign of life / enjoyment / getting down / whatever you want to call it rather than standing immobile shoe gazing, particularly in a funk band that is presumably looking to get people dancing (make that any band trying to get a response from the audience) is pretty much imperative I should say.

So often people say to us at the end of the night "You looked like you were really enjoying yourself" to which in my mind at least my response is "Isn't that what we are all here for" but does suggest that all to often what audiences get is a completely immobile band making no attempt at connecting with the crowd. It's not just the music after all but the show as a whole.

Co-ordinated dance moves are about the gayest looking things ever. Just do what feels natural to you. If you're in a rock/metal band then headbang a lot, if you're in a punk or funk band dance around like a nutter, if you're in a jazz band sway a bit, just do what feels natural and helps you have fun.

I tend not to move about to much but just headbang at our heavier bits, but i've not had a lot of time to get used to the stage but i'm sure i will with time. It helps if you know most of your songs like the back of your hand, unfortunately we didn't so ya know...

Edited by budget bassist

Before I danced, someone would probably need to complete a Risk Assessment and take out Public Liability insurance.

In any case, I rarely play stages that are big enough. Most of the time I have a space about 1m x 1m between the percussionist and the drummer. On Saturday one of the singers swung her arm back too far and clouted me in the jubblies while we were playing. Luckily her aim was off.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='250930' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:26 PM']I dance like a mofo in the first verse of this one.

[/quote]

i actually quite like that, you got myspace?

EDIT: i like the music, not the dancing!

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='251006' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:06 AM']...On Saturday one of the singers swung her arm back too far and clouted me in the jubblies while we were playing. Luckily her aim was off.[/quote]

Wow, she's either tiny, or your jubblies are quite high!? :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='251021' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:39 AM']Wow, she's either tiny, or your jubblies are quite high!? :huh:[/quote]
It could be said my jubblies are of an elevated persuasion. Esepecially now when I'm around that particular singer :)