Why become a member? ×

Individual effects versus multi-effects

Mr Fudge

Gas, 6 weeks holiday, impending vasectomy and third baby have got me thinking? My public bass playing will be curtailed for all of the above reasons for a month. In that time I get my rig home and perhaps go the individual effects route. At the moment I have a Boss ME50 and to be honest it's done a good job, apart from the none existent synth effects that my bosted zoom used to do very well.

What I would like?

A compressor, a nice valve drive, flanger/phaser, synth effect ( a really good one ), and a new wah. I bouyght a morley guitar wah which sounds excellent for my guitar but a bit thin and a bit of a drop in output for bass. If I don't need any of this and you think my boss, or an upgrade multi effects is the way then please tell me.

cheers from Mr Fudge.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='250064' date='Jul 28 2008, 11:22 PM']A compressor, a nice valve drive, flanger/phaser, synth effect ( a really good one ), and a new wah.[/quote]

Compressor - i've got a EHX blackfinger that i absolutely love, picked it up for 85 pounds s/h here. Amazing compressor, imo, and can do a nice valve drive too, if you push it. Having said that, the BBE Optostomp and EBS multicomp seem to have a lot of followers here, and would certainly be worth trying out as well.

Valve Drive - the DHA stuff is pretty highly recommended, in fact don't think i've heard anyone with anything bad to say about it, at all. there's the EBS valve drive as well, looks promising but i've never heard it and i don't know anyone who has it. there's always the valveless "valve drive emulation" route as well, ie sansamp stuff etc.

Flanger/Phaser - imo, the best one i've heard is the TC Electronic SCF. Chorus, Flange, and Pitch modulation all in one, and all analog too. For a cheaper option, boss and digitech each do something in the phase/flange range, don't really know much about them.

Synth effect - never really looked into synth bass as i've never had a use for it. boss make one, as do ibanez, but a lot of people seem to rate the digitech one. If it was my money however i'd go for the EHX bass microsynth, which they've just released a sexier updated version of for 2008.

Wah - there's a lot of options here again that i haven't really looked into. the Dunlop 105Q is the one i almost got at one point, but tbh nowdays i think i'd spend the bit extra and go for the EBS Wah One.

i'm sure there's stuff i've missed/never heard of.....but that's what i'd recommend. as always, try before you buy, if you can :)

--Eric

The thing about multi effects vs individuals is that it’s not really comparing like for like. A good multi effects pedal could set you back between £300 and £350 maybe, whereas a full pedalboard could set you back well over £1k, and that could easily be spent on only 5 or 6 pedals. Multi effect pedals have a lot of convenience factor in them, but a pedalboard made up of good individual pedals is fully customisable and each individual effect is likely to be of a very good quality if you’re willing to spend the money, but you could easily end up spending 4 times the amount of a multi effects pedal on building up a pedalboard made up of good quality individuals.

In my experience, it might be worth adding a couple of really good quality individual pedals to your ME50 that give you a very specific sound that you’re looking for. Maybe think about what the ME50 doesn’t do that you would like it to do, and then think about adding a specific pedal that will give you the extra sounds that you’re looking for. If it’s only synth sounds that you’re missing then add an Akai Deep Impact inline with your ME50, and bingo, you’ve got everything you’re looking for.

What is the ME50 lacking that you need?

if i were you, and this is just what id do, i would keep a multi effect for flanger/chorus/phaser/delay/reverb/envelope filter/compressor (my zoom b2.1u does that great, and iv had a lot of individual effect versions) and buy a good valve pedal for crunch and overdrive, a good synth and a wah pedal

my choices: i would go for zoom b2.1u, a DHA pedal of some sort (im sure Dave will be happy to help you choose a model), an akai deep impact or the new bass microsynth, depending on your budget, and a ebs wah one or bass crybaby, again budget depending

And as for the Vasectomy - it only hurts when he (she??!!) tugs your tubes out to get a better grip! You'll only be out of the game for a week max - but take some pix - there's no other way to reproduce the lovely shade of purple in ur balls!!

[quote name='King Tut' post='250947' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:47 PM']And as for the Vasectomy - it only hurts when he (she??!!) tugs your tubes out to get a better grip! You'll only be out of the game for a week max - but take some pix - there's no other way to reproduce the lovely shade of purple in ur balls!![/quote]

eeeewwwwww!!! too much info man!

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='250975' date='Jul 30 2008, 01:02 AM']I will be happy to post pics of pedals, PM if you want a pic of my balls! :huh:[/quote]

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='250993' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:03 AM']pm'd[/quote]

:) I hope you aren't all intent on sending pics of your balls to the poor guy... he only asked for advice on pedals :huh:

Vasectomy post op night bump. Not to bad at all really. I consider it to be my Dunkirk! Looking at the Dave Hall VT1. Im not looking at distortion just a Geddy Lee Moving Pictures grunt, or a bit of the Ox. We increasingly play a bit more punk in the 2nd half and I wondering if this is a good match.

Oww, my poor plumbs!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='250920' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:12 PM']if i were you, and this is just what id do, i would keep a multi effect for flanger/chorus/phaser/delay/reverb/envelope filter/compressor (my zoom b2.1u does that great, and iv had a lot of individual effect versions) and buy a good valve pedal for crunch and overdrive, a good synth and a wah pedal

my choices: i would go for zoom b2.1u, a DHA pedal of some sort (im sure Dave will be happy to help you choose a model), an akai deep impact or the new bass microsynth, depending on your budget, and a ebs wah one or bass crybaby, again budget depending[/quote]

Thanks for lots of advice. I like Kev's idea of mixing and matching with the ME50 to start with. If I get a few pedals, probably a new wah and drive anybody suggest a board that would incorporate my ME50 and a multi power unit, cheers?

i think the only pedal i would ever need would be a b2.1u, iffffff i liked the distortions/overdrives

i know iv heard other users do like them, but i havnt found a single distortion sound on it that i actually like, but im pretty picky :huh:

maybe someone could suggest some settings that they think sound great to me?? (tom?? :))

Edited by BassManKev

I thought that a multi effects unit would do everything I needed, until I actually got hold of some good stomp boxes. Wow, you just can't even compare.

The best distortion sound I've ever heard is the Big Muff Pi (not tried the bass version but the guitar one in great enough on bass). Not exactly subtle though.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='253096' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:15 AM']I thought that a multi effects unit would do everything I needed, until I actually got hold of some good stomp boxes. [b] Wow, you just can't even compare.[/b]

The best distortion sound I've ever heard is the Big Muff Pi (not tried the bass version but the guitar one in great enough on bass). Not exactly subtle though.[/quote]
in your opinion

iv been back and to with multi and individuals and i find theres benefits in both, and now iv decided that using multi effects for everything but distortion suits me great

[quote name='Oscar South' post='253096' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:15 AM']I thought that a multi effects unit would do everything I needed, until I actually got hold of some good stomp boxes. Wow, you just can't even compare.

The best distortion sound I've ever heard is the Big Muff Pi (not tried the bass version but the guitar one in great enough on bass). Not exactly subtle though.[/quote]

But what are you comparing?
If you're looking at individual boutique pedals then your entry level for a multiFX comparison should probably be the TC Electronic G Force.

For live use I'll take the convenience of programability (I get the exactly the same sound every time I select a particular pre-set) and and one switch selection available from a good quality multiFX over a possible slightly better sound from a boutique pedal any day. None of the audience will notice the sonic difference anyway.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='253153' date='Aug 2 2008, 09:44 AM']in your opinion

iv been back and to with multi and individuals and i find theres benefits in both, and now iv decided that using multi effects for everything but distortion suits me great[/quote]

No, its just fact that good quality stomp boxes can blow away even the best multi effects. Most digital effects units try to emulate analog stomp boxes anyway, which by logic means they're never going to achieve their goal (of emulating them perfectly), whereas stomp boxes just aim to sound 'really good' which they generally achieve wholeheartedly.

Yes multi effects are more expensive and slightly more awkward (not too bad if you put em on a pedalboard though). If you're weighing up all factors combined then the multi effects would have a stronger argument, but soundwise you just can't top good single effects units (IE. not Boss/Behringer/Digitech etc. which for the most part to me don't sound better than the multi effects equivalents).

[quote name='BigRedX' post='253165' date='Aug 2 2008, 10:00 AM']But what are you comparing?
If you're looking at individual boutique pedals then your entry level for a multiFX comparison should probably be the TC Electronic G Force.

For live use I'll take the convenience of programability (I get the exactly the same sound every time I select a particular pre-set) and and one switch selection available from a good quality multiFX over a possible slightly better sound from a boutique pedal any day. None of the audience will notice the sonic difference anyway.[/quote]

I'm not really talking about 'boutique' pedals, just good quality well picked mass produced stuff (Aphex Punch factory, Big Muff Pi, EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai etc.). I used a PodXT Live for recording and live work for a few years and got to know it pretty well, so thats my multi effects comparison point.

I will admit that this is technically just 'in my opinion', but in this case it seems obvious enough to me to be like for example saying 'that ball is red and that one is blue' (and it being a true statement), then someone coming along and saying "Thats just your opinion!"

Edited by Oscar South

the balls being red and blue are fact, the sound quality of something in all cases is opinion

the pod xt live is sh*te for effects imo, its mainly an amp modeller

Edited by BassManKev

I'm not inclined to disagree with you, but I've used the other brands efforts too and none of them fared significantly better. It was always a case of tweaking the sound until it was 'good enough', whereas whenever I'm looking for a sound and I click on one of my stomp boxes its always an instant "OH yea, brilliant!" sensation. Multieffects would have me spending 30 mins tweaking settings and at the end I wouldn't feel like playing any more where as single effects are just click on, 10s adjusting dials and then inspiration.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='253184' date='Aug 2 2008, 10:36 AM']I'm not inclined to disagree with you, but I've used the other brands efforts too and none of them fared significantly better. It was always a case of tweaking the sound until it was 'good enough', whereas whenever I'm looking for a sound and I click on one of my stomp boxes its always an instant "OH yea, brilliant!" sensation. [b]Multieffects would have me spending 30 mins tweaking settings and at the end I wouldn't feel like playing any more where as single effects are just click on, 10s adjusting dials and then inspiration.[/b][/quote]
i have to ask what multi effect took you 30 mins to set up one effect??

[quote name='BassManKev' post='253182' date='Aug 2 2008, 10:30 AM']the pod xt live is sh*te for effects imo, its mainly an amp modeller[/quote]

never used it then? :)

the synth sounds are complete dog sh*t, but there's some great overdrives, distortions, and fuzz effects on it, as well as phasers and flangers and chorus effects, plus more. I challenge you to a fuzz off...