Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF500 - Fault Light

pendingrequests

So after roughly 2 years of use (nearly to the day) my trusted Ampeg PF500 fault light came on whilst in rehearsals.

I tried every combination to combat the problem:

1. New kettle lead
2. Going straight into the amp - no pedal board.
3. New speaker cable.
4. Different instrument cables.

But alas, nothing worked. Brought into the store I bought it and thankfully through a short demo, the light came on. A previous demo in the shop didn't present the fault light, which was very frustrating.

So back to Ampeg it goes. I know these units are slightly notorious for this issue and it baffles me why Ampeg developed a product, that shouldn't of gone to market as quickly as it maybe did.

However, I love it. I really do. It sounds fantastic and the whole 'flip-top' thing is the greatest thing ever.

Anyway for those who use Ampeg PF500's or any of the portaflex series, be warned! I will update this as I get news and eventually the head returning to me and the cost!

Hate to say it but my pf350 has been away to ampeg for nearly a month now and the part they need to fix it hasnt been sourced yet (even although they said that the part was on its way within 1 week of them receiving the amp).very frustrating.

Mine was just cutting out like what others have all said, but my warning light didnt actually come on. So perhaps mine is a different fault.

You read about so many issues with this model.... I suspect it can't handle much load variance
but that is a guess,.......... that they should have withdrawn them ages.
This continues to damage the marque even if they aren't the Ampeg of old.

My amp tech has never rated them from a build POV, but I liked the core tone of
the PF amp in a shop... Just wouldn't go anywhere near buying one though..

Frustrating! These amps look and sound great, but wherever I read about them reliability is the main topic of conversation. To echo everyone else, it seems bonkers that Ampeg would continue to ship a self-destructing product rather than recalling and rebuilding them and taking advantage of their full potential. I'm a massive fanboy when it comes to that classic Ampeg tone, but After my experience with the BA range last year, and all of the issues with the PF stuff I doubt I will be buying another one of their amps in a hurry :(

yes my first one went wrong. Fault light and cutting out. The other night my new one starting cutting out, on stage, but I could still hear it in the outfront PA. No fault light. So I changed the speaker lead and it has been fine since. Who knows what the problem is but It's a great sounding amp. If it goes wrong again I'll get a PF800. There's been no reported faults with them so far

I play through a PF500, regularly, at a local venue and I love it. I'd buy one at the drop of a hat but I keep on seeing posts like this one about how unreliable they are.

Is it just the original ones that fail? Have they sorted the problem out yet? Are the new ones more reliable?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1407693880' post='2523094']
Yep, I`m yet to read any reports about the 800s having problems. I don`t know why they don`t just scrap the 500s altogether seeing as the 800 seems a lot more reliable.
[/quote]

It also seems strange that it's only the 800 that doesn't have issues. Surely you would just switch out all of the components (bar the power stage) in the 300/500 for those used in the 800 and hey presto, right?

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1407695230' post='2523109']
I play through a PF500, regularly, at a local venue and I love it. I'd buy one at the drop of a hat but I keep on seeing posts like this one about how unreliable they are.

Is it just the original ones that fail? Have they sorted the problem out yet? Are the new ones more reliable?
[/quote]

The one I bought in 2011 was fine, the one I bought towards the end of 2012 wasn`t. Seems still hit & miss. It`s a real shame, one of the nicest sounding amps around imo.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1407695230' post='2523109']

[/quote]

All PF500's seem to have the issue, whereas others have commented that the PF800 seems more reliable.

Haven't received word back yet, but I've been told I get a limited warranty when it returns which I hopefully don't have to use.

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1407929472' post='2525395']
All PF500's seem to have the issue, whereas others have commented that the PF800 seems more reliable.

Haven't received word back yet, but I've been told I get a limited warranty when it returns which I hopefully don't have to use.
[/quote]

Why do you get a limited warranty ..?? how do they justify that.
I'd not be happy with that on the face of it, and that in itself would want to make me think
I don't want it back..and would want a return on my monies...??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407932987' post='2525441']

I'd not be happy with that on the face of it, and that in itself would want to make me think
[/quote]

I think it's probably limited in the same was as the warranties on most products, in that it covers issues not caused by 'improper' use or user error.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407932987' post='2525441']
[/quote]

I had the unit for two years before it fell over, so it has lost the warranty.

But now with repairs from Ampeg, it will gain a limited warranty. 1. To help improve their image with me! 2. As 'theyellowcar' says it wasn't cause by improper use.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

So just got the head back and everything seems to be good. Will be carrying the spare amp around for the first few gigs just incase :)

Only had to pay for postage as the wonderful guys at Bairds Belfast told Ampeg that my head was still in warranty. Ampeg had to replace the output board, which according to them would have been expensive.

Good customer service is still very much alive and well!