Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407776206' post='2523902']
Well, they're laid out and cut with a knife, lined with 1mm thick suede, glued together, stitched around the edge, then they are edged, stained and burnished. Then waxed and burnished. Take a long day each to make.
There's about £35.00 to £40.00 in material and fittings for each strap.

Going to be around £135.00 to £145.00 each, plus postage.

Karl
[/quote]

That's a fair price considering the materials, and the skilled hours poured into each unit. You're paying for the design too. I'm not sure if a patent would be possible/applicable, but it's not insane to expect a reasonable mark up on innovation.

Thanks very much,

I do try for the best for the client and something for my work, too. I just need to make a reasonable hourly rate.
I agree the design work should be recognized too, but it never is :)

The irony here, is that I'll make what I hope is the world's most comfortable bass strap.... and I still haven't got a bass of my own :(

Still looking for a Kubicki Ex Factor.

Karl

Can folk please chime in with the size of the mounting holes they would like to see on the strap?

As these are custom length, they can also have custom mounting options. So if you have a brand of straplock you prefer, or unusual knobs (steady) on your bass, we can accomodate them if you can supply the hole and slot size for buttons, or hole size for straplocks.

I'm going to be making the sample strap this week. I'll take some pics when it's done.
I have a lot on, so it'll be fitted in where possible, but it'll be done this week.

Karl

A bit late in the day here (no change there then), but this is the best leather strap I have found so far. Not perfect but good; uses velcro to adjust the length at one end.

[url="http://www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,818;item,374;Bass-Guitar-Straps-M29"]http://www.levysleat...itar-Straps-M29[/url]

Certainly interested in new developments though!

Edited by ead

Very good.

Thank you, Discreet.

Thanks for that input Ead, but the velcro has to be glued and stitched to the leather which means more labour and a higher price. Also, those straps are machine stitched, not hand stitched as mine will be.
The 'pad area' is realtively small in comparison to mine, and offers no weight distribution along the strap in either direction. so, the weight of the bass will be centred in the area of the pad.
I'm trying with my design, to spread the weight of the bass out as far as possible around the body.

Karl

Here we are then,

The finished prototype/sample strap.

Very soft, very strong, very comfortable.
Fully suede lined, fully hand stitched,
completely original design.

We like?

[attachment=169084:all.jpg]
[attachment=169085:front.jpg]
[attachment=169086:mid.jpg]
[attachment=169087:middle.jpg]
[attachment=169088:rear.jpg]
[attachment=169089:strap.jpg]
[attachment=169090:tail.jpg]

They don't fail.

One alone will hold the bass, two is belt and braces.

I went through this on a previous post if you look back through the thread.
I set two of them in a leather strap and hung my entire 13 stone weight off it. No failure.

I do this for a living and they are a stock item for me, I use them a lot. I set them with special tools and a press.
Never had one fail, never had one pop accidentally.

These are made by 'Durable Dot' fasteners in the USA, they are military spec fasteners made to NATO specification.

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

Not at all

:)

They do look a lot like the cheaper tinny versions on crappy leather goods the world over.

I honestly did not expect them to hold my weight, but they did!

I could add a third if anyone's genuinely worried about their bass hitting the deck...
It's the extra cost of a single extra fitting, no big deal.

Karl

Thanks everyone.

If we all like it, what happens next is the official 'interest thread'.

This one wasn't made for anyone in particular, although it was made to Discreet's specs.
More so to make it to a set of real measurements than anything else....

I'd like to wait for a little more feedback, then we can crack on.

Karl

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1408002503' post='2526090']
Just sorting out where to put the signup thread.....

Bear with.

Karl
[/quote]

drop a mod a pm, they'll point you in the right direction matey :) affiliates maybe? or possibly a forsale thread?

I damaged my shoulders quite a while back & I hate using straps generally because I haven't found one padded enough to support my shoulders if that makes sense? If I have an unpadded nylon strap on my guitar it puts way too much pressure on my shoulders, aggravating an old injury so personally I'd be looking for padding and a lot of it. Some kind of memory foam type padding that would mould to the shoulder would be cool.