Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407680158' post='2522911']
One more thing, if I may.
The make and model of your bass, and the distance between the front and back strap buttons, the length of the body.
[/quote]

Fender Jazz. Shortest distance between strap buttons is 53cm. Overall body length is... 53cm. :)

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407702799' post='2523222']
Leather is a by-product of the meat industry.
They kill cows for beef, and the skins would just be discarded if they weren't used to make leather.

I respect others' choices, though.
To each his own.

:)

Karl
[/quote]

Aye, or they'd be used to make other products (glues, fillers, etc.)

Even if the meat industry shut down overnight, leatherwork with animal hides from creatures dying from natural causes would be possible. Much more usable than the meat from animals dying from natural causes I'd imagine!

I think it was mythbusters with their tests on pig cadavers (all sourced from natural deaths apparently) that opened my eyes to the options when animal lives are prized.

EDIT: the mockup looks interesting - I'd imagined some subtle stitching to give a gentle curve - what's apparently taking shape is a left/right specific cut of leather, made to fit a typical human contour.

Edited by PlungerModerno

The specific shape evolving is dictated by the need to translate a 2D shape to fit a 3D object, you :)

The curved shape of the strap wraps your body. It hugs you very close, causing all the weight of the bass to be distributed as evenly as possible.
This, combined with the soft leather the strap will be made from, should alleviate the need for any padding at all.
In fact padding will increase the point loading and make the strap less comfortable, not more :)

Karl

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407703722' post='2523236']
I think that if we're going to take an animal's life,
it's only right that we shouldn't waste any of its body.[/quote]

I'd agree with that, and I do eat meat (although I'm eating less and less of it) but to me wearing leather just seems a bit crass. I don't wear jewelry either.

Discreet,

I really appreciate the vote of confidence in the strap project. Thank you.

If you'll bear with me, I'd like to get the details nailed down first.
Just to make sure we get things right.

So, I'd like to go ahead with a full prototype of the strap and test it first.

You're at the very top of the 'Interested' list :)

When these are ordered, I'll need people to send the actual measurement of the strap they want, from one button, around the body, to the other button with the bass in the desired playing position.

A simple measurement, button to button, of the strap they currently use would be ideal.

I'll use this as the middle of the adjustment range. I expect the strap will be able to adjust several inches in either direction to allow for different clothing thickness and fluctuation weight, etc.

How does this sound?

Karl

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407743661' post='2523409']
A simple measurement, button to button, of the strap they currently use would be ideal.

I'll use this as the middle of the adjustment range. I expect the strap will be able to adjust several inches in either direction to allow for different clothing thickness and fluctuation weight, etc.
[/quote]

oo colour me interested too!

So...it'll be a standard design strap made to bespoke lengths?

Edited by andydye

Ok, you're on the list :)

Yes, a standard design.
It will be available in Brown or Black leather,
left or right hand versions,
made to the length specified by the client, with a few inches wiggle room for fine adjustment.

I need to work on the strap fastening method for the tail end.
Don't like them horizontal slots :)

Karl

Is 115 cm (+/- a few cm) or 45" (3' 9" +/- an inch or so) a short or long strap??

It depends on who you ask I guess. I measured my straps (All three!!!) by laying them on top of each other. All are set about the same.

If the strap is available in a 12cm wide option or close to it I might not be able to resist!
I'm interested. I think I'll go with black - but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

I'll put up an official interest thread in the classified section when we have all the details worked out.
But I'll count you among the interested for the present :)

I'll make the strap to the measurement provided by the client, so long or short is a bit philosophical :)

There will be no width options, as adjusting any of the measurements has a knock-on effect on all the others, proportions, etc.
Suffice to say, the strap is 5" wide at the widest point.

I'm attempting to make the most comfortable bass strap possible :)

Karl

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407751278' post='2523509']
I'll put up an official interest thread in the classified section when we have all the details worked out.
But I'll count you among the interested for the present :)

I'll make the strap to the measurement provided by the client, so long or short is a bit philosophical :)

There will be no width options, as adjusting any of the measurements has a knock-on effect on all the others, proportions, etc.
Suffice to say, the strap is 5" wide at the widest point.

I'm attempting to make the most comfortable bass strap possible :)

Karl
[/quote]

Cool. B)

Yes, this is getting very interesting indeed. For those of us who carry heavy valve amps - and like myself have already undergone a hernia repair operation - how about a bass strap/truss combo? It could have a wide band running round the umbilicus and two thinner straps fitting snugly each side of the scrotum to prevent rupture. The 'contouring' technique would really come into its own. Combined with the Gruv Gear 'Duo' strap design which would prevent middle-aged moob-flop, I think you'd have a problem keeping up with demand! It would look a bit like an S&M parachute harness of course, but surely this is a case where function is much more important than form? Think of the improvement to one's playing if safe in the knowledge that one's guts aren't going to spill out all over the stage again like that time in Kidderminster.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407758116' post='2523599']
Yes, this is getting very interesting indeed. For those of us who carry heavy valve amps - and like myself have already undergone a hernia repair operation - how about a bass strap/truss combo? It could have a wide band running round the umbilicus and two thinner straps fitting snugly each side of the scrotum to prevent rupture. The 'contouring' technique would really come into its own. Combined with the Gruv Gear 'Duo' strap design which would prevent middle-aged moob-flop, I think you'd have a problem keeping up with demand! It would look a bit like an S&M parachute harness of course, but surely this is a case where function is much more important than form? Think of the improvement to one's playing if safe in the knowledge that one's guts aren't going to spill out all over the stage again like that time in Kidderminster.
[/quote]

It would depend on the specifics of the design, but I'd imagine a combined bass strap/straps and truss/brace would need to be hand fitted or highly adjustable: It'd be a much more niche product than a contoured strap - in part because the weight and complexity of the rig.

Anything is possible of course. I know leather needn't be hugely heavy - I assume a combined design would include elastic, metal/plastic strips, velcro etc. and could be comparable in weight to off the shelf products - but this would mean a lot more prototyping and design work than a simple strap.
I'd imagine there's a middle ground with an existing truss/brace design and a custom strap/straps (like the duo strap) fitted around it (if not fitted to it).

I know something like the old Steinberger plate:

Might be a better starting point for those looking for a custom solution to load bearing issues: make the bass light and perfectly balanced - then brace and support the body in the places it needs - lastly try to integrate the two? I'm just thinking out [s]lout[/s] [b]loud[/b] really!

Edit: I may be a lout, but I am thinking out loud.

Edited by PlungerModerno

Meanwhile back in Strapland....

I've been working on the tail retention method.

As I've said, I really don't like removing a load of material from the strap in the form of parallel horizontal slots. I've never liked this 'standard' strap attachment method.

On some of my heavy duty shoulder bags, I use Durable Dot snaps to attach the shoulder straps.
These are not to be confused with the cheap, tinny snaps found on budget leather items. These are NATO spec military fasteners used on cars and boats to hold the rain covers on.

There are two on the bottom of this closure flap. They are very strong.

I wanted to check how much load they'd handle, so I attached a couple to a leather strap and hung my entire 13 Stone weight off it from a tree branch. Finally got bored waiting for the snaps to fail and came in for tea.

I think they'll hold a bass :)

[attachment=168946:fatmaxbacksmall.jpg]

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407773682' post='2523859']
I've been working on the tail retention method... I use Durable Dot snaps to attach the shoulder straps... I think they'll hold a bass :)
[/quote]

Great solution, and they look the business too. Will the straps have that 'shabby chic/retro/vintage/relic' look about them? I hope so.

They'll be hand made and finished, but new.
I can age and weather them on a custom basis, for an additional fee.
I do this kind of work a lot for film and TV work.

I'm working out strap pricing at the moment.
There's a lot of top quality material here, over two square feet of leather in the main strap section, plus more than a full day's hand stitching for each strap.
Since the strap is lined, the entire perimeter has to be stitched so the lining and strap don't come apart.

Karl

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407775078' post='2523883']
They'll be hand made and finished, but new... I can age and weather them on a custom basis, for an additional fee... I'm working out strap pricing at the moment. There's a lot of top quality material here, over two square feet of leather in the main strap section, plus more than a full day's hand stitching for each strap. Since the strap is lined, the entire perimeter has to be stitched so the lining and strap don't come apart.
[/quote]

OK, now I'm officially worried about how much these will cost. :D

Well, they're laid out and cut with a knife, lined with 1mm thick suede, glued together, stitched around the edge, then they are edged, stained and burnished. Then waxed and burnished. Take a long day each to make.
There's about £35.00 to £40.00 in material and fittings for each strap.

Going to be around £135.00 to £145.00 each, plus postage.

Karl

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407776206' post='2523902']
Going to be around £135.00 to £145.00 each, plus postage.
[/quote]

That's roughly the figure I had in mind. Not a lot when you consider what you're getting and I'm sure you'll never need to buy another.