Why become a member? ×

Thoughts?

stubass

Guys! I've been quite conscious of my technique lately. I tend to mostly play with my thumb resting on the string above. Obviously, I can't do this with the E string so tend to use an imaginary one if that makes sense. Does anyone specificly play a 5 for this reason? I would like to fret an E sometimes, as well drop to flat tuning without second bass, detuning etc. I did play a peev 5 once, quite liked it actually but never played any low notes really. I have the chance of an G&L L2500 but would it be overkill or a sound reason for a punt?

I don't really use the B string as an anchor (maybe about 30% of the time?), I tend to still use the pickups for this. I do however love having the Low B on the bass even if it doesn't really get used all that often.

I say go for it. Worst case scenario you sell it on and stick to 4 stringers.

Edited by Cameronj279

[quote name='stubass' timestamp='1406848635' post='2515390']
Guys! I've been quite conscious of my technique lately. I tend to mostly play with my thumb resting on the string above. Obviously, I can't do this with the E string so tend to use an imaginary one if that makes sense. Does anyone specificly play a 5 for this reason? I would like to fret an E sometimes, as well drop to flat tuning without second bass, detuning etc. I did play a peev 5 once, quite liked it actually but never played any low notes really. I have the chance of an G&L L2500 but would it be overkill or a sound reason for a punt?
[/quote]

I have always been a 4 string guy. I play with a pick.

Blue

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1406849016' post='2515394']
I don't really use the B string as an anchor (maybe about 30% of the time?), I tend to still use the pickups for this. I do however love having the Low B on the bass even if it doesn't really get used all that often.

I say go for it. Worst case scenario you sell it on and stick to 4 stringers.
[/quote]

Certainly not afraid to buy and sell myself to the ideal solution. It's the fun of the game!

Certainly worth a try - the fives I have had chance to play have varied quite a bit in terms of string spacing, and the 35inch scale length of my five certainly feels like harder work for my left hand, but I do quite like the consistency in feel between the A and E for the right hand as a result of being able to have a floating anchor point on the string below for both.

[quote name='stubass' timestamp='1406848635' post='2515390']
I tend to mostly play with my thumb resting on the string above. Obviously, I can't do this with the E string so tend to use an imaginary one if that makes sense. Does anyone specificly play a 5 for this reason?
[/quote]

I play the same way. I don't play 5's for that reason as I occasionally use the "B" but find it a very comfortable solution.

I would add that on first impressions the necks on G&L don't seem to suit me-would love to try one for a while to see how I got on with it as they sound great.

Edited by Pinball

Certainly use my thumb and fingers for damping on some basses more than others and especially at high volume. Tend to rest thumb on E string, and when playing E string use thumb................
Maybe check out Anthony Wellington at The Aguilar Loft Series..............
Regards, Paul.

Going to 5-string seems a bit like overkill if it's just to give you somewhere to rest your thumb when playing the E string!

I used to rest my thumb on the string below, or on the pickup if playing on the E - this is often referred to as 'moving anchor' or something like that. About 18 months ago I switched to fully floating thumb, where the side of the thumb rests on the string(s) below the one you are playing, or on the body of the instrument. I have never looked back!

Here's Todd Johnson's lesson on the technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU

I find a very different feel between 4.and 5 strings so don't base the anchoring of my hand around either. Also pick up position varies across basses. Therefore I try not to be set in the positioning and move around the playing area. This gives the added advantage of tonal variety. But at the end of the day it's what you are comfortable with.

Yeah, went off the idea quite quickly lol! I do use the pickup to rest on sometimes but move around a lot depending on the song so it's not always possible. I play an sb2 so have no tone pot, still getting used to it but it is making me use my fingers differently which is good. Floating is ok, just don't feel like I get the necessary purchase sometimes. I'll just keep working on it, I'm sure it will come.