Why become a member? ×

Band Logos

Weststarx

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1406804440' post='2514824']
Yes I would be extremely pissed if I'd spent years studying music to then not get a gig over a 'bedroom player' but in the creative industry it doesnt matter in the slightest what degree you have or where and what you've studied because at the end of the day the art you produce is all that matters. You are only as good as your last performance.
[/quote]

That might be true for some areas of the "creative" industry; however if you want to go and get a job as a graphic or product designer the reality is, most if not all employers would look at your qualifications. This might differ for Freelancers looking for work.

Edited by stingraybassman

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1406808792' post='2514888']
That might be true for some areas of the "creative" industry; however if you want to go and get a job as a graphic or product designer the reality is, most if not all employers would look at your qualifications. This might differ for Freelancers looking for work.
[/quote]

Yeah deffinately true.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1406804440' post='2514824']Yes I would be extremely pissed if I'd spent years studying music to then not get a gig over a 'bedroom player' but in the creative industry it doesnt matter in the slightest what degree you have or where and what you've studied because at the end of the day the art you produce is all that matters. You are only as good as your last performance.[/quote]

But when a band is looking for a logo or artwork, they are generally not looking for a peice of paper with the logo drawn on. They are looking for it in different forms, rendered, unrendered, optimised/scaled for printing on CDs, T-Shirts etc etc, etc etc etc

So although I agree with you that it doesn't matter what degree you have in terms of the quality of the actual design or the artwork, it is a combination of the time taken to get the design right and the skills required for the above that you are paying for, not just the design.

If someone is willing to do that for free becuase they are trying to build a portfolio or something like that then fair enough, but sometimes bands either expect all of the above to be free or are unhappy when they get a good design for free but it looks like sh*t when printed because its not been set up correctly.

I think the best option for bands with little/no money is to look for graphic designers who want to build their portfolio and are willing to do all of the above for cheap/free.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1406821996' post='2515055']
Lets see these 'ere young 'uns live up to that! :P
[/quote]

Yes, and I bet none of 'em even know what a Rotring Pen is let alone know how to use one...
In my day, blah blah and so on and so forth, etc. *Mumbles on and on*

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406822388' post='2515062']
Yes, and I bet none of 'em even know what a Rotring Pen is let alone know how to use one...
[/quote] I think a Rotring is one of those German sausages or Rotring can be how your bum feels the day after a Ruby innit lol the youth of today

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1406823820' post='2515077']
Rotring can be how your bum feels the day after a Ruby innit lol the youth of today
[/quote]

Heh - as Rotring literally translated is 'Red Ring' I think you just about hit the nail on the head there. Or on the arse, anyway. ;)

I know exactly what they are - my Dad is an architect and he has an old set of Rotring Variant (probably the ones he got when he first started), and I think he got Isograph later on. I drew the plans for a garage once in my youth when deciding if I wanted to follow in the parental footsteps. I didn't and went for a much less lucrative option (IT). Oops!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406822388' post='2515062']
[/quote]

Aaaay! The roar of the Spraymount - the smell of the Cow Gum!

I really don't think this only applies to "creative" industries. Plenty of people ask for cheap or free work no matter what line you're in. And, as for "people automatically thinking it's okay to ask" if no-one did ever do it for free, it wouldn't happen would it? It's not necessarily the fault of the asker.

With regard to qualifications, I think there are enough examples about to prove that "qualifications" don't always equal "good at your job" I've known a few qualified graphic designers that were so far up their own arses who were absolutely sh*te at their jobs. It's not about just being able to come up with a clever logo.

As far as the "it's only a garden wall, you don't need a professional" goes, I imagine there are at least a couple of professional builders on here who may disagree or like-wise, you don't need a professional graphic designer, just someone who's a bit handy on a Mac with a bit of an eye for design.

Gifted amateur vs trained professional. I think if someone has a natural aptitude for something they will generally be the one to seek out, whether qualified in that field or not. Perhaps areas such as clinical surgery or dentistry might be exceptions :) But add the two together - a gifted, trained professional will always manage to make the best job of anything, imo.

Examples from my sphere of work - I am a garden designer. On my course there were people who didn't know their Artemisias from their elbows or have a clue about how to use 'space'. Yet they still ended up with letters after their name as the college seemed to think that failing anyone was a reflection on them - so there are a whole raft of trained professional garden designers out there who are totally clueless.

I was asked by someone to do a planting plan - he had worked out the design but didn't know about plants. When I visited the plot it was a complicated area with changes in level, awkward views, various issues that made it not entirely straightforward. His plan was absolutely spot on - he could instinctively think about the space, how it should work. Gifted amateur.

Then you have someone like John Brookes [url="http://www.johnbrookes.com/"]http://www.johnbrookes.com/[/url] who is pretty much responsible for the modern approach to garden design and was the first to coin the now hackneyed expression 'Garden Room'. I've seen him at work and it is a real treat to see how he approaches a space - everything just flows out of his head in an almost magical sequence. Talent and training - hard to beat.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1406891796' post='2515630']
This thread reminds me of this...

"Please design a logo for me. With pie charts. For free."

[url="http://www.27bslash6.com/p2p2.html"]http://www.27bslash6.com/p2p2.html[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that :D :lol: :P .

His lost cat poster is legendary: http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html