Why become a member? ×

Bass Pupils Wanted

Wan

Hi Folks,

I'm on the lookout for a few more Bass students but my local music shop seems to be poaching my potential students through their own in shop Guitar teachers..
Gone are the days when I could put a few cards up.. Hmm.
Does anybody out there have any good ideas for me.. ?

Cheers Wayne

You could post in the Tutors Available section of basschat if you haven't already plus maybe a facebook page and other social media, people also advertising tutoring on Gumtree as well I've noticed, this site might be of use [url="http://www.rgt.org/"]http://www.rgt.org/[/url]:)

John

[quote name='Wan' timestamp='1405530157' post='2502789']
Hi Folks,

I'm on the lookout for a few more Bass students but my local music shop seems to be poaching my potential students through their own in shop Guitar teachers..
Gone are the days when I could put a few cards up.. Hmm.
Does anybody out there have any good ideas for me.. ?

Cheers Wayne
[/quote]

Good evening, Wayne...

What is the 'competition' offering that you're not..? What can you offer that they can't (and that the pupils want...). That's the crux of the matter, typically. Are the times suitable..? Is there a minimum number of lessons involved..? Can you provide an instrument for those without..? Do you propose the pieces that the pupils want to learn..? Could you not, yourself, teach [i]for [/i]the shop, or must you be independent..? Is travelling a problem (pupils getting to you, or you getting to them...)..? There's lots more...
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps.

(Please note: I didn't start this with the old favourite: "Hey, Wayne". I'm sure you're tired of that... :mellow: )

Baring in mind Cheshire covers an area of 2,343 square miles, a more specific location such as your town is possibly a good idea ?

Thought personally Dad3353's ideas were pretty good, why are you losing out to local music shops ?

Identify the reason behind that, and take the appropriate action.

:)

I advertise on music teachers UK website, and also successfully on Gumtree.

You've come on here, so you know how to use the internet....: have a look at what others offer and at the least match them and try to better them!

If I can join Scott's Bass Lessons for £52 a year, ( possibly the cost of 2 lessons with you?) what makes you better than him? What's your USP? As others have said,embrace the social media.

If you are trying to get youngsters to teach then you need to have a presence on their chosen networks. If you want older pupils, then ditto. As for your comment about music shops, as we see on this site, many do not ever step inside a physical music shop now so not being able to advertise there may not be a total disaster.

If you're already teaching in universities, the you've already got access to a whole pool of potential students.

Do you teach your uni students privately ?

You don't say what universities you teach at, but if they're not just music colleges, then you've potentially got non-music students who would like to learn bass.

Can you advertise on the university campus notice boards or website ?

Set up a Facebook page and get students you know to 'like' it, and share it.

:)

Have you approached the shop to find out if they'd like to have you on their books as a bass tutor?

There nothing stopping you placing ads locally in the paper or in other shops, if that's the market you're after. The internet is an obvious one as already mentioned. Set up a beginners workshop in your local village hall etc etc, advertise it on the internet via the usual channels.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1405602485' post='2503504']
Have you approached the shop to find out if they'd like to have you on their books as a bass tutor?
[/quote]

This seems like a good approach.

I was in a small new guitar store in Camden last weekend and they were looking for a bass tutor to opperate out of their shop, they had a couple of little studio rooms set up for teaching.

Students waiting to start apparentely if anyone is interested.

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for all of your responses. There's some great advice here which I'm following up as we speak..I'm a pretty busy pro touring Bass player but the teaching aspect is something I'm working on between tours..
If you get the chance have a nosey around my website, [url="http://www.waynemorgan.net"]http://www.waynemorgan.net[/url] there's a track on my about page you might like..
Right I'm off to a gig !!!

Cheers Wayne

Edited by Wan