Why become a member? ×

New JJ Burnel Signature by Jon Shuker coming

ZenBasses

I hope Jon doesn't mind me posting this (it'll soon be in the public domain)

So I asked him how it was going with my build and what other stuff he had been working on

This is his reply

I’ve just finished the latest creation for J J Burnel, a carbon fibre necked bass, very complicated build and I’ve handmade the neck. A far better construction than your typical status and the like, they are a carbon fibre moulding, composite board then filled with filler foam. Mine is a lightweight neck (top secret wood) skinned in carbon fibre, truss rod, carbon graphite rods then a birdseye f/board and head veneer. Quite a complicated build but tonally superior to the other method, warm and very immediate sounding. Should be testing it out with JJ on thursday then it will be up on the site for a quite high price tag, I’m just going to do a limited run of 25 as they are very time consuming to build, the body too is a serious bit of woodwork, two types of core wood then chambered upper and lower bouts, the upper bout tapers in depth so you can still have the ribcage contour, all sprayed black of course so it looks simple, but it isn't

Sounds immense and the wooden core carbon fibre skinned neck could be a game changer..

Can't wait to see it and he's promised to let me have a go on one if it's still around when I collect mine.

Edited by ZenBasses

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1404839269' post='2496284']
I hope Jon doesn't mind me posting this (it'll soon be in the public domain)

So I asked him how it was going with my build and what other stuff he had been working on

This is his reply

I've just finished the latest creation for J J Burnel, a carbon fibre necked bass, very complicated build and I've handmade the neck. A far better construction than your typical status and the like, they are a carbon fibre moulding, composite board then filled with filler foam. Mine is a lightweight neck (top secret wood) skinned in carbon fibre, truss rod, carbon graphite rods then a birdseye f/board and head veneer. Quite a complicated build but tonally superior to the other method, warm and very immediate sounding. Should be testing it out with JJ on thursday then it will be up on the site for a quite high price tag, I'm just going to do a limited run of 25 as they are very time consuming to build, the body too is a serious bit of woodwork, two types of core wood then chambered upper and lower bouts, the upper bout tapers in depth so you can still have the ribcage contour, all sprayed black of course so it looks simple, but it isn't

Sounds immense and the wooden core carbon fibre skinned neck could be a game changer..

Can't wait to see it and he's promised to let me have a go on one if it's still around when I collect mine.
[/quote]

Carbon Fibre skins over a wooden core is how Gus Guitars have been made for the last 15+ years and the necks that Simon Farmer also makes for Enfield Basses are done in the same way. I suspect that his top secret wood will be something like Cedar which is an acoustic instrument tone wood but not normally strong enough for solid instruments on its own.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1404898188' post='2496720']
Carbon Fibre skins over a wooden core is how Gus Guitars have been made for the last 15+ years and the necks that Simon Farmer also makes for Enfield Basses are done in the same way. I suspect that his top secret wood will be something like Cedar which is an acoustic instrument tone wood but not normally strong enough for solid instruments on its own.
[/quote]

You took the words right outta my mouth.

I seem to remember that the top -of-the range Parker Fly guitars and basses use the same construction technique, with a soft wood core and graphite outer shell.

The new JJ signature Shukers sound s like it will be absolutely fabulous. I can't wait to hear more about them and see some pictures. I bet these are amazing basses . However, if they have a 1.75 inch nut width like the other JJ Signature Shukers then I won't be able to buy one ( I can't cope with a nut that wide) and with the graphite neck being a one -off moulding , I expect John Shuker wouldn't be able to accommodate custom orders in respect of that . :( .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404913832' post='2496931']
I seem to remember that the top -of-the range Parker Fly guitars and basses use the same construction technique, with a soft wood core and graphite outer shell.

The new JJ signature Shukers sound s like it will be absolutely fabulous. I can't wait to hear more about them and see some pictures. I bet these are amazing basses . However, if they have a 1.75 inch nut width like the other JJ Signature Shukers then I won't be able to buy one ( I can't cope with a nut that wide) and with the graphite neck being a one -off moulding , I expect John Shuker wouldn't be able to accommodate custom orders in respect of that . :( .
[/quote]

One of the advantages of using a solid wood core for the neck (or body) is that you don't necessarily have make them in a conventional mould when adding the carbon fibre skin, especially if you aren't going to make a feature of the carbon weave. This would allow for more variation in neck shapes than the more "traditional" carbon fibre construction.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised to find that Gus Guitars are making the necks for these Shuker basses since they already have all the expertise required

Well I certainly stand corrected..

My limited knowledge getting the better of me there.

Interesting to find out other makers use this technique as I've never heard of this before. I assumed Parker fly basses were pretty much status and the like.

Jon has said he has hand made the neck himself. I wouldn't doubt this as his craftsmanship is second to none. But it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibilities that he has help in perfecting this under the guidance of someone like Gus guitars.

Having player a JJ before its going to be interesting to compare. They are such a wonderful instrument that you wonder why you need anything from else. A P bass for everything. Hehe..

It's times like these you wish makers have Jon have the time to produce a build diary for their latest creations.

Some do and I love reading about them.

Edited by ZenBasses

Interesting. This bass has been in development since the beginning of last year. I discussed it in detail with Jon last year and really fancy one. The conversation with Jon about this bass was one of the catalysts for me selling my Status.

Twenty-five instruments only? Better get off and start writing to Santa about the extra J pickup and Hipshot X-tender :-)

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1404991205' post='2497601']
TBH, and trying not to be biassed, I can't see how this is a 'better' construction by Jon....only different, both will no doubt have their pros and cons. Much the same as through-neck better than bolt-on, maple better than rosewood etc.
[/quote]

Certainly comparing my Gus basses to the few Status basses that I've tried, the Gus with it's carbon fibre over cedar construction has a sound that has more in common with a traditional all-wood construction instruments. You get the benefit of the strength of carbon fibre along with more the sound of a "conventional" bass. What I always find in the reviews and from people who've tried my basses is that in spite of the aggressively futuristic looks the tone of the instruments is one is far more traditional than they were expecting.

Also from what I know about how Gus guitars and basses are made, skinning a solid wood core with carbon fibre allows the luthier more customisation in neck profiles than the hollow or foam filled methods do. The downside of this degree of customisation is that you can't make a feature of the weave pattern as you don't always get a neat looking outer skin.

I've never subscribed to this 'brittleness' in an all carbon construction - I can make my Streamline sound warm enough without judicious EQ. Also my 'all wood' Ric doesn't sound warm at all - so I think the 'tronics have a big say in the final sound.

I think the problem with carbon and sounding brittle is because most people associate it with a Status strung up with 30s.

Playing traditional bass lines on a bass that is setup to play like Mark King is never going to sound anything but brittle.

Along with string gauge, martthebass is right, electronics are the biggest player.

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1404935957' post='2497216']

Having player a JJ before its going to be interesting to compare. They are such a wonderful instrument that you wonder why you need anything from else. A P bass for everything. Hehe..

[/quote]

This is why I haven't bought a new bass since I bought mine. GAS no longer a problem. I assume this latest design is another attempt to reduce weight-the one JJ's playing now is a lighter weight version of the one I have, as he complained of back pain with his original one, although mine feels pretty light to me!

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1405072208' post='2498509']
Shuker is my favourite bass maker in the world and has been for a good few years now, going down the CF route is only adding to that image for me.

How I have never owned one is beyond me, one day I will cave to the GAS.
[/quote]

Have you actually tried any?

I love the look of the designs but I've still to play one that I liked the feel of once it's in my hands.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1404995984' post='2497669']
I think the problem with carbon and sounding brittle is because most people associate it with a Status strung up with 30s.

Playing traditional bass lines on a bass that is setup to play like Mark King is never going to sound anything but brittle.

Along with string gauge, martthebass is right, electronics are the biggest player.
[/quote]

With respect, there is more to sounding like Mark King than using a Status series II strung with superwound 30s.... I know - I tried back in the late eighties! :blush: :D

I don't find my Status to be at all "brittle", "sterile", "hi-fi", "soul-less" or any of the other words used to attempt to describe tone. I find it to be rich, clear and musical - whatever strings I put on it.

I think the new JJB sounds interesting... :gas:

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1405080098' post='2498623']
Without wanting to tempt fate, since I got my second Shuker, I'm pretty much done for basses...they're fantastic.
[/quote]Judging by the arsenal of basses listed in your signature, I'm not surprised you're 'done'. That's a hell of a collection. :)

It's taken years to get it down to so few: one fretless, one acoustic, a couple of bitsa 'traditional' types, and three very very nice basses. All modded in one way or another. :D

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've owned everything which would even vaguely suit me (and plenty which haven't), and the ones left are the ones which have won for me. The list of things which have come and gone include basses by Fender, Musicman, Gibson, Overwater, Alembic, Yamaha, Ibanez and lots of others. It took me the majority of the time to work out exactly what I liked and what I didn't. It was fun, though, and actually didn't cost all that much to do, mostly because I've only bought three new basses in my life: one for my 18th, one for my 50th, and one in the middle somewhere (in the 80s).

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1405081641' post='2498648']
With respect, there is more to sounding like Mark King than using a Status series II strung with superwound 30s.... I know - I tried back in the late eighties! :blush: :D

I don't find my Status to be at all "brittle", "sterile", "hi-fi", "soul-less" or any of the other words used to attempt to describe tone. I find it to be rich, clear and musical - whatever strings I put on it.
[/quote]

Good for you.

I was merely suggesting that more people will have heard a status with 30s than say 45s. Science dictates that they will sound very different with those gauge strings.

Stick some 30s on a jazz or p bass and I'm sure people would start making some interesting comments about the tone from it... And those are 34" scale as opposed to 32" that a load of Statii are.

I'm not saying Status are good or bad, I'm just saying that a 32" scale bass (irrespective of brand) strung with 30s is not going to sound as authoritive as it could with meatier strings or a beefier scale. However, it does depends what application you are using it for - Many people have got a great thud from a short scale bass with flats.

• 1 month later...

[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/news/jj-burnel-signature-shuker-on-the-way/"]http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/news/jj-burnel-signature-shuker-on-the-way/[/url]

It has broken cover.

The neck is hand carved wood (and not top secret - he just hasn't told anyone :lol:) and skinned with CF, so Jon's technique should allow for variation if he so desired - and it is 100% hand made in his workshop. It sounds epic IMHO, and I'm not really a P man.