Why become a member? ×

Realistic wear

Geek99

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404149764' post='2489803']
Heh. Played it... and kept a lit fag stuck behind the E string as was obligatory in the late 70s...
[/quote]

That bass is a beauty Mark, my 77 was that colour, but with rosewood fretboard. Think looks much better with maple. Was it originally a white bass, and just got pubbed/clubbed/nicotined to end up that colour?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1404153178' post='2489838']
Was it originally a white bass, and just got pubbed/clubbed/nicotined to end up that colour?
[/quote]

No, apparently it's the clear poly coat that degrades over time and causes that cream/yellow colour. You can see the original Olympic white where the poly coat has worn off on the forearm contour - the paint is as white as it was when I bought the bass in 1976.

thanks to everyone for posting.
I came up with this rough distillation of everyones wear plus what I know I would do (over time) myself

blue dots are flecks and blue lines are erosion.
No buckle rash as I dont do that.Thumb rest wear as in Skol's as I do use the thumb rest quite heavily. I've not overdone the rear upper bout wear

[url="http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o600/geek99/EPSON002_zps95bd8ad4.jpg"]http://i1149.photobu...zps95bd8ad4.jpg[/url]

I've taken off the shine a little using a scourer to better resemble the flat patina of an older bass - I do need to research more carefully how to do the fingerboard.

Now all I need is some wire wool and some time.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1404294048' post='2491151']
I've taken off the shine a little using a scourer to better resemble the flat patina of an older bass - I do need to research more carefully how to do the fingerboard. Now all I need is some wire wool and some time.
[/quote]

Pretty good. Looking closely at my 76P black pickguard, it's not actually matte at all, but it does have multiple swirly tiny scratches all over it... maybe you could recreate something similar by using a circular motion with your abrasive? Just a thought.

Another thought is there's a BDI-21 in Effects For Sale for £22 if you're still looking for one... [i]aaaaannnddd[/i] back on topic. ;)

Edited by discreet

Yes thanks - the tiny scratches are quite well done by a scourer, and they are also good for aging plates. On the body I try and rub in the same direction that a limb would move over it to get it looking right

I'm working from home today so might get a moment to try the zoom to see what it can do in my break. The bdi is only 26 pounds on amazon new but it might come to that.
Thanks for the feedback

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1404295396' post='2491173']
I like the Barbie-on-a-cuddly-toy shot ...
[/quote]
thats barbie's pussy ,,,, :rolleyes: Philistine.... don't you know [i]anything [/i]?

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1404148027' post='2489778']
This is my mates worn Jazz:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqaY5iZkkXI[/media]
[/quote]
ok I can see how he wore that only [i]that [/i]section away

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405686736' post='2504346']
...the bits on the underside of the neck pocket for example, how on earth does a bass get wear there?
[/quote]

I suppose if you spent considerable time up at the extreme dusty end... ;)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1404130407' post='2489504']
:D

"In our computer controlled relicing process, we only use the best of floors, real leather belts with brass and stainless steel buckles, and only the finest - pre-K that is! - Zildjian cymbals.
[size=3][i]Sabian-hit relics made on special order, at a premium[/i][/size]."
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd have to go for the Sabian AAX chips,but then I've always had expensive tastes...