Why become a member? ×

Steady band or one-night stands?

JapanAxe

Steady band for me. I like what we're doing and I'd never find the same bunch of guys anywhere. We were at school together, for God's sake! Anyway I just don't have the inclination to do all the organising and scheduling necessary for multiple bands. It would encroach on my drinking time anyway, so it's just not viable. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

I love deps. Bit of adrenalin with the danger and certainly keeps you on your toes. Especially the ones with one or no rehearsal.

That said, it is nice to play with friends where you know how each other plays too but given the choice, the former.

Either. But I find with a steady band it's very hard to maintain a good musical relationship with them. They're will always be a difference of opinion on what tunes to play. Unless you have a strong vocalist who can sing anything and wants to sing anything and the rest of the band are open. I've found a year to eighteen months and things start to get a bit of a grind.

One nighters for me. The adrenaline is the thing that swings it for me but also getting to meet a lot of new musicians rather than the same guys and songs all the time :-) if I had the choice, it's be reading gigs every time. Always great fun!

• 1 month later...

Massive thread self-resurrection:

The background to my original post was my growing dissatisfaction with running a band (1 band with 2 names in fact!). I set it up as a benevolent dictatorship, which cuts 2 ways - yes I got to run things my way, but the buck stopped with me. Worst of all, I found evening after evening being taken up with Things That Are Not Fun - hustling gigs, sending out demo CDs and contracts, tweaking set lists, uploading mp3s/dots/lyrics to Dropbox, finding deps etc. I also often feel like it all rests on my shoulders when I'm on a gig. I usually end up enjoying the gig, but at the expense of a fair bit of worry beforehand.

I've realised I function better when I am trying to do a good job for someone, rather than asking someone to do a good job for me. I therefore took the decision to wind my bands down, and put myself out there solely as a dep. I play both bass and guitar, so that doubles my opportunities. It's not an easy way out, just a different set of challenges that are a better fit to my personality. Around 1/4 of my gigs are deps anyway, so iI just need to grow that. And I hope it will be fun!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1403972365' post='2488242']
Do you prefer to be in a steady band, or take gigs with different bands as they come? And why? Off you go...
[/quote]

Same here, always been a one band guy. One band with the right people. Works out better financially for me. I know our schedule and what my pay is from week to week.

Blue