Why become a member? ×

New Old Valve heads loud enough ?

Stealth

Not strictly 100W but a Bassman 135 is the same power tube complement as the 100, bit cleaner for longer... as always it depends on the cab/s efficiency... 100w tube head with a good 215 goes a looooonnngg way.

Or just buy an SVT Classic.. there, said it.... you know it makes very loud/heavy sense... :gas:

CTM100 acquired! Didn't get chance to unpack it until I got back after last night's gig, and it took supreme act of willpower not to crank it up at 1.15am. Certainly looks the business up close - the website pics don't do it justice. :gas: Its going to be a loooong day waiting to get home to try it out.I'll be trying it out on a band setting next week. :)

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1405449163' post='2502019']
All I can say is buying a CTM 100 is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I turned up for a gig at a beer festival on Saturday and some guy shouted 'holy s*** he has a CTM' so their reputation is preceeding them :P
[/quote]

Ahh thanks that means a lot ;-) message me your address and I'll get a t shirt sent to you to go with it

• Like 1

I used my CTM 100 for the first time at rehearsal last night.

I play in quite a loud band, and usually quite high in the mix. Was a bit worried it wouldn't cut it - but actually I was able to play (and cut through) comfortably at my normal gigging volume. I had it set snarly when I dug in but not unwanted fuzz. The natural tone is to die for and what its about. Can’t imagine ever using effects with it. The eq is subtle to say the least – but there’s not much to change really. Bumped the mids and treble a bit for the guitar mix, but I could have left it flat and still been very happy.

For context, I was using 2xABM 210s (not neos) and Yamaha 2024 which runs quite hot for a passive bass. Using the high input I had the volume cranked to about 3 o'clock. When I switched to the low input, it felt like an adrenaline boost - everything down a big step to compensate. I think I prefer the slightly tamer high input for the yammy, but its good to know there’s more under the hood if needed.

I’m still experimenting with it – but based on last night’s effort, id say its plenty powerful enough for regular gigs. Well happy.

Edited by BluRay

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1405617118' post='2503735']
Glad you like. I think the CTM100 has become my favourite amp ever very rapidly. And I've gone through a fair few amps in the last ten years :P
[/quote]
Yeah, I didn't want to gush too much cos I've only had it a week, and still getting to know it. But first impressions are that the natural tone is nothing short of fantastic. It can match my normal backline volume in a fairly loud band, with some grit but not overdriven (would need pa support if much more clean-ish volume required), looks great, and no need to call in the (non existent) road crew to help me move it. Top marks so far!

Edited by BluRay

• 2 weeks later...

Update for the OP - gigged the CTM 100 for the first time last night. Smallish venue with loud band (2x Marshalled-up guitars etc). Backline only with just vox going through the PA. Didn't have the volume past 12 oclock, and plenty of headroom. :)

My V4B allows me to play in East Sussex even when I'm in Kent. My SVT-300 allows me to play in Wiltshire from the same location. They are bothn frighteningly loud and having once been foolish enough to plug in a bass to the SVT running into 2x15s and turn it up whilst only standing a few feet away, I cannot conceive of a situation in which you'd ever need to wind it up in anger, not unless you were on a very big stage. I have no idea where the manufacturers wattage war started, but having gigged with 30w tube amps back in the day, and having returned to gigging about 10 years back and seeing bass amps rated at 1000w - 5 times the power of the PAs we used to use - I couldn't believe how loud things must have got. But they weren't. IME many of the higher rates non-tube amps above 400 or so watts are both underpowered and almost unusable beyond a certain level anyway. When I say unusable I mean the tone deteriorates dramatically as the volume goes up beyond a certain level. Most tube amps just keep going, OK, they get grittier depending on tubes and signal etc, but the tone is generally usable all the way up.

Anyway, short answer to the question is yes :)

• 3 months later...

Are 100 watt valve heads loud enough? Yes but it depends on the band, however the most importent thing here is the volume of the cab that's being used. Example:-
AD200 with a Berg NV610 I need some bass in my monitor.
AD200 with a Barefaced Big twin 2x12 and it's hardly cracked open, it's stupid loud (Berg still sounds wat better though).