Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK

waynepunkdude

Someone suggested this to me IwTait recomended one to me a few weeks back so when I saw one in a shop today I had a go.

So I plugged it in to a Hartke combo (I'm not a Hartke fan but that is all they had plugged) tuned it up and started playing, I was astonished, I mean it played like a dream sounded amazing and looked so nice (I was playing the blue trans with maple fingerboard), best bass I have ever played and it is a f*cking Ibanez WTF?

Anyway I thought it was so good I gave it it's own thread.

Yeah i tried IwTait's dad's at the bass bash (i forget his name >_< ) and though it was a 5 the neck profile was pretty nice with the flat D shape, if a bit wide p-style, but it sounded really nice, ver musicman-esque, though don't get me wrong, i'd much rather have a musicman, but the ATK is a nice bass for the price, if a bit ugly.

[quote name='ped' post='244726' date='Jul 21 2008, 07:47 PM']I also really like them. To be frank I think Ibanez make some of the best basses out there for the price, and some even at prices way above!

Cheers
ped[/quote]

You're not kidding, it's going to be the next bass I buy.

Finding a checked scratchplate for it is going to be hell.

I got an ATK400 and love it - there's a review of it here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12612&hl=ibanez+atk"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=ibanez+atk[/url]

[quote name='Sean' post='244758' date='Jul 21 2008, 08:20 PM']I got an ATK400 and love it - there's a review of it here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12612&hl=ibanez+atk"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=ibanez+atk[/url][/quote]

£95 you lucky bastard they wanted £400 for this one.

I think they look amazing but I guess it is personal taste.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='244737' date='Jul 21 2008, 07:59 PM']Yeah i tried IwTait's dad's at the bass bash (i forget his name >_< )[/quote]

That would be me :)

They are cracking basses. As I've posted before, I actually prefer the sound of my ATK to my old Stingray.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='244722' date='Jul 21 2008, 07:42 PM']best bass I have ever played and it is a f*cking Ibanez WTF?[/quote]

this is something that annoys me. ibanezes are SO underrated, i'd go for an ibanez over a fender, gibson, lakland etc. any day. they're much cheaper for a better quality - £350 worth of ibanez will buy you a fast neck, lightwieght bass with three band EQ and bartolini pickups new. £350 of fender will buy you a bog standard mexican precision or jazz new. and people still choose to buy fenders! AGHHHH!!!! (by the way, i've got nothing against fenders... they're just completely over rated)

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='lwtait' post='244926' date='Jul 21 2008, 11:11 PM']this is something that annoys me. ibanezes are SO underrated, i'd go for an ibanez over a fender, gibson, lakland etc. any day. they're much cheaper for a better quality - £350 worth of ibanez will buy you a fast neck, lightwieght bass with three band EQ and bartolini pickups new. £250 of fender will buy you a bog standard mexican precision or jazz new. and people still choose to buy fenders! AGHHHH!!!! (by the way, i've got nothing against fenders... they're just completely over rated)[/quote]

I have always loved my Fenders and still do but I have to agree I would have not believed how good that Ibanez unless I had tried it myself.

I had one for years as "backup" to my fender P at the time. It got played more because I could tailor the sound more to specific venues.

I would highly reccomend them although I will say this:

1. I had an ATK from the first lot they sold in the UK a few years back (think there is one for sale on here) i think they only did 2 colours but they were amazing. Compared to the new ones I played at LGS this year they have narrower necks and IMHO seem a bit less plastic-y if that makes sense.

2. Hunt around on ebay or even try ishibashi for a proper original japanese one, you never know what you might find. I played one once and it was stonkingly good and better than my korean one.

seriously though fantastic basses, and the only small thing is the headstock, body from baywatch, head from crimewatch.

[quote name='nash' post='250702' date='Jul 29 2008, 06:47 PM']i played a new series atk 4 string today and its amazing. i used to own a sunburst 400. wish i hadnt sold it.[/quote]

ditto on the 400! (series 1)

another one of my great ibanez mistakes!! :)

andy

Fantastic basses for the money, very unique tone and look IMO.

I've always liked the tone the bassist in Taint gets from his ATK.. [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6282190"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...riendid=6282190[/url]

[quote name='far0n' post='250914' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:08 PM']Personally I like this white one, which only seems to be available in Japan :) The other one's rather nice too !!!

[/quote]

have you seen the black and chrome one, like the white one? they're both great looking, and i KNOW you can get the black iat GAK, i'm not sure about the white.

Yep. Ibanez= goodness.
Esp. This one.
Okay, it's not an ATK... it's a (discontinued) SRX700. The comment still stands. The only thing that might match this (other than an ATK!) would be a Stingray or a G&L. At twice the price. And neither of those are neck through or 24 fret.