Why become a member? ×

Pino is selling his '52

rodney72a

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOFNER-CLUB-BASS-OWNED-BY-MICK-KARN-JAPAN-VINTAGE-SIXTIES-HOFNER-BASS-/390867961586?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5b018bc6f2#ht_580wt_923"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOFNER-CLUB-BASS-OWNED-BY-MICK-KARN-JAPAN-VINTAGE-SIXTIES-HOFNER-BASS-/390867961586?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5b018bc6f2#ht_580wt_923[/url]

There are a few interesting bits in the shop

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1403704548' post='2485472']
If it's not good enough for Pino anymore it's not good enough for me.
[/quote]

[size=4]Fair point... the drummer I play with isn't good enough for Pino anymore, mind, and[i] ​[/i]he's more than good enough for me [/size] [size=4] :lol:[/size]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1403631241' post='2484750']
If someone like Pino owns a bass like that but never really made much use of it to me it almost confirms it not to be a great bass, collectable novelty because he can, I probably would have one of everything if I could too. To me the only basses worth extra over any other of the same model needs to be one a player is known for or used on a famous record and the actual one not a copy or signature, the stingray used on another one bites the dust would hold more value than one of john deacons many P basses being rarer and used on a worldwide hit for example, an identicle stingray owned by Sting that he has never been seen playing live with or used on a police album for example id pay 0 pence more for than from a seller on basschat.
[/quote]

These are exactly my own sentiments.

To me , the idea of treating instruments that have belonged to "big name" players as if they are holy relics that are imbued with some special magic is ridiculous, and I am not at all surprised that there are plenty of people out there who are stupid enough to to believe in such hogwash. As Pete says, basses that have featured prominently on major hit records might have some historical significance and therefore a higher market price , but seldom-used celebrity- owned basses that are being discarded because they are surplus to requirements have no special value.

If Pino doesn't want this bass then why would you ? He is a great musician and I trust his judgement. For the best part of twenty grand I would want that bass he is keeping, not the one he wants rid of.

19k for bass???
Regardless of the year, the serial number, the current owner... 19k for a bass is crazy.

For that money you can get a Fodera, your FX pedals, your amp rig and still have money left.

It is more of a collectors item than a player's bass, I would not dare leave the house with that '52...

The only thing left to say is GLWTS, someone will end up buying it.

The impact of 'provenance' (along with rarity)just seems to get greater all the time. We live in a world where stuff is mass produced on a global scale all the time. We look for ever more abstract ways of adding extra 'value'. If there is an association with a 'known' person then the value is higher whether we like it or not. Blame the antiques roadshow.

Edited by KevB

Many years ago, I bought a black Yamaha SG2000 that had been owned by Jimmy Page (with provenance) I paid £375 for it and struggled to get £395 2 years later (too heavy to gig for 3 hours)

I doubt if anyone on this site ever remembered seeing him play it ( or any Yamaha) it was just a guitar that he obviously had no use for that had probably been given to him. Ergo, it was only worth what anyone was prepared to pay for it. In fact, £395

Can't get my head around these so called vintage prices. A 70s Fender can go for a couple of grand these days. 15 years go you couldn't give them away as they were known as the sh*t years of zero quality control.

Personally, i think this will sell.

In this case, i think the seller is adding £4-5k extra for the Pino link, although in my experience in this field, i dont think the Pino link adds any value whatosever in this case, as there's no association. If it was Macca's Violin, or Pino's 'Ray, then it would be different.

With this P, the value is on the rarity of the instrument, and the very early serial number. In the UK in particular, these blackguard P's are extremely scarce, especially all original ones. Granted this one has been played alot, and shows alot of wear, maybe because its an exceptional player?

I think its a lot of money for one though.

I'm not going to get into debates about the value of vintage instruments, as its pointless, as numerous posts on basschat have proven, but, i think a blackguard P in this original condition (Original finish instruments, regardless of how worn, are worth far more than refinished instruments, ballpark guide is double the price on vintage Fenders), would fetch at least £10k in the UK, add to this the very early serial number, and collectors would probably add another £3k+ for that, and then if someone wants the added Pino connection, then you could maybe add another £3k for that. So its not majorly over-priced.

So, all things considered, a vintage shop would always start out punting such a rare instrument at a top price, to see the reaction. The last blackguard P I saw in the UK, was 6 years ago, also at NKR guitars, and it was up for £21,500. So they arent exactly widely available.

Its obviously not for everyone, but its a piece of Fender bass history, one of the very first, and for that reason alone, it will be desirable.

Personally, I'd rather buy a much nicer example of a blackguard, for a little less money, but we all like and want different things. Its a very cool bass though.

Rick.