Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

been listening to this track a lot lately ...im a bit of a mick karn fan so im wondering just how much japan must have listened to this or visa versa as quiet life was released a few months prior. I think this too sounds like a wal. 

i would be most interested If anyone can tell me who did play bass on this one as this info seems to be missing from the wikipedia page or anywhere else i look.

Edited by Musicman666

Welcome to my 5 days of Christmas Music (Yes I do understand that 5 days ends before Christmas actually happens, but that's the way the cookie crumbles this year). Starting off with a real classic.
The Chipmunks - The Christmas Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)

I know I’ve posted previously and waxed lyrical about Be Bop Deluxe and the wonderful bassist Charlie Tumahai, and make no apologies about doing so again!

As a kid I was lucky enough to see the band a couple of times in the late 70s at at Cov Theatre, and seeing Charlie (and also Norman Watt-Roy with Ian Dury & the Blockheads) was really my first exposure to what I’d call at the time, ‘funky bass’ (double stops, and all that!).

Live in the Air Age was a big album for me when I was young (still is), it was really inspiring.

As I recall, Shine wasn’t actually on the 12” album but was included as part of a 7” disc that came with the record (I could have this wrong?!).

Anyway, here’s Bill, Charlie and the gang…

• Like 1

I don't think I've mentioned it here before or seen it mentioned either but there's a site I use for discovering music and books - GNOD - Global Network of Discovery - a site - one of several interesting sites set up by Marek Gibney - some of his projects have been short lived by GNOD has been running for a good few years. 

Go to gnod.com and scroll down to the music section - you can try both alternative ways to explore or discover new music that you might like based on you entering the name of a band or artist. I've been listening to piano jazz and be-bop - Bill Evans and Vince Gauraldi - if I choose the

music-map.com option and enter Bill Evans I see this map:-

Interesting eh?

So this led me to look for Sonny Clark and I must have a listen to Oscar Peterson - I already know Ron Carter and Cannonball Adderley.

If you go down the other route and choose the https://www.gnoosic.com/ link - you get to enter 3 bands/artists and then you get a set of suggestions - the names you enter helps to grow the dataset.

Screenshot - 20_12_2022 , 00_52_39.png

• Like 1