Why become a member? ×

Wal's...

bassjamm

I have a left handed 4 string Wal fretless, I have owned it for about 12 years. It hardly gets played, just in the studio and when I am feeling particularly splendid! I am almost ashamed to say that I know next to nothing about it. It says N.J. Custom on the head, I can get the serial number from the plate (I think). The person before me didn't treat it too good, there is a small gauge on the neck and the body is going that weird grey/white in very small areas - in some ways it makes it look properly classic, but it must have been stunning when new.

It absolutely sings, I can get Pino like sounds, Jaco like sounds and it always gets a reaction on the tone and sound from band members. There is a peculiar knob system where the tone is almost Wah Wah and can be honed in for a tighter sound. The thing is heavy though, I will try and get some pictures of it on here.

Rock on.

Rob

[quote name='Rob Kittler' post='251493' date='Jul 30 2008, 05:29 PM']I have a left handed 4 string Wal fretless, I have owned it for about 12 years. It hardly gets played, just in the studio and when I am feeling particularly splendid! I am almost ashamed to say that I know next to nothing about it. It says N.J. Custom on the head, I can get the serial number from the plate (I think). The person before me didn't treat it too good, there is a small gauge on the neck and the body is going that weird grey/white in very small areas - in some ways it makes it look properly classic, but it must have been stunning when new.

It absolutely sings, I can get Pino like sounds, Jaco like sounds and it always gets a reaction on the tone and sound from band members. There is a peculiar knob system where the tone is almost Wah Wah and can be honed in for a tighter sound. The thing is heavy though, I will try and get some pictures of it on here.

Rock on.

Rob[/quote]

Hi Rob,

The letters N.J. are probably the initials of the bass player who had it made for them. If you know the serial number, you can check out more about your bass here:

History of Wal Basses:

[url="http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/wal_history.htm"]http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/wal_history.htm[/url]

and the Wal database here:

[url="http://www4.cs.fau.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html"]http://www4.cs.fau.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html[/url]

Sounds like a lovely bass.. It'd be good to see some pictures if you have time..

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='248555' date='Jul 26 2008, 06:02 PM']Yes; Paul worked with Pete for some years so in my opinion, is the perfect person to take the Wal name forward..

Don't see too many Pro's for sale but if you do - grab it while you can!![/quote]

Thanks for that.

Pro-wise, missed one about a year ago (could be 2). It was advertised in a shop and I rang to get pictures sent. Unfortunately somebody walked in and bought it while I was still waiting for the pics....(probably someone here!). I know, should've bought it. It was only £899 (& black IIRC). In fact it was probably the one in your avatar!

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='251619' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:36 PM']Thanks for that.

Pro-wise, missed one about a year ago (could be 2). It was advertised in a shop and I rang to get pictures sent. Unfortunately somebody walked in and bought it while I was still waiting for the pics....(probably someone here!). I know, should've bought it. It was only £899 (& black IIRC). In fact it was probably the one in your avatar![/quote]
If the shop was GAK in Brighton then it could be..

I bought my one from fellow Basschatter Gwilym in 2005 and he'd had it less than a year then I think? Apparently he nipped into GAK to have a nose around and walked out with what is now my bass.. Lucky for me that he did is all I can say! :)

[quote name='Rob Kittler' post='251493' date='Jul 30 2008, 05:29 PM']I have a left handed 4 string Wal fretless, I have owned it for about 12 years. It hardly gets played, just in the studio and when I am feeling particularly splendid! I am almost ashamed to say that I know next to nothing about it. It says N.J. Custom on the head, I can get the serial number from the plate (I think). The person before me didn't treat it too good, there is a small gauge on the neck and the body is going that weird grey/white in very small areas - in some ways it makes it look properly classic, but it must have been stunning when new.

Rock on.

Rob[/quote]
The attached file might help. It's a Wal flyer. Not sure where I got it from, perhaps at the old Music Show when it used to be at Earls Court, but presumably when I was dreaming
[attachment=11435:Wal_Flyer.pdf]

[quote name='WalMan' post='251755' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:51 PM']The attached file might help. It's a Wal flyer. Not sure where I got it from, perhaps at the old Music Show when it used to be at Earls Court, but presumably when I was dreaming
[attachment=11435:Wal_Flyer.pdf][/quote]

That was an interesting read, thanks for posting it :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='251755' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:51 PM']The attached file might help. It's a Wal flyer. Not sure where I got it from, perhaps at the old Music Show when it used to be at Earls Court, but presumably when I was dreaming
[attachment=11435:Wal_Flyer.pdf][/quote]

Thanks Al,

I used to have that one years ago... here's some more info that I have lurking around that may be of interest..

Nik

[attachment=11438:Wal_Model_Timeline.jpg]

[quote name='mgauction' post='250128' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:04 PM']Great to see you over here, Dunc! :)[/quote]

Glad to be here. I think this is the new "place" to hang out. I came hear out of interest for a ACG bass and thought I'd see if there was any Wal action. Glad to see there is.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='250216' date='Jul 29 2008, 04:51 AM']Hi dunc,

Absolutely - Trevor's site is a fantastic introduction to the Wal history and is full of really interesting and unusual info that surprises even old gits like me who've owned Wals for years..

I hear what you're saying about the Pro models and I do worry about what I'll do if /when the circuitry starts to go wrong in mine? And partly for that reason and partly because I get worried it'll get damaged, I've stopped gigging with it this year.

Mind you; I was using it for the first time in ages yesterday and it sounded just amazing.. So I'm planning to give it a whirl at a couple of gigs next week just to remind myself how lucky I am :)[/quote]

Trevor's site is a great compilation. All sorts of good stuff on the unusual Wals. I think I've seen pics of at least a couple of your Wals.

My ProIIe can be both tough as nails and a little fragile at times. The electronics tend to come a bit loose after use so I have to go in a tighten things up, mainly the input jack. I don't gig much so I'm not afraid to use it though.

I'm also amazed at the tone and feel every time I pick mine up. It the same as the first time I picked it up. It's also nice to have a variety of basses and to be able to come back to it.

dunc

[quote name='bassplace' post='253591' date='Aug 2 2008, 08:02 PM']Trevor's site is a great compilation. All sorts of good stuff on the unusual Wals. I think I've seen pics of at least a couple of your Wals.

My ProIIe can be both tough as nails and a little fragile at times. The electronics tend to come a bit loose after use so I have to go in a tighten things up, mainly the input jack. I don't gig much so I'm not afraid to use it though.

I'm also amazed at the tone and feel every time I pick mine up. It the same as the first time I picked it up. It's also nice to have a variety of basses and to be able to come back to it.

dunc[/quote]

Yeah, dunc - Trevor's site is the best! I have had the same situations with my Pro11. These are the best basses!

Nik - Your comments are right on, my friend, as always! :)

[quote](bassplace @ Aug 2 2008, 08:02 PM)
Trevor's site is a great compilation. All sorts of good stuff on the unusual Wals. I think I've seen pics of at least a couple of your Wals.

dunc[/quote]

+1

I'm not in the position now of having a custom as well as a ProII, but for a while I did and I always enjoyed playing the Pro model more than the Custom which used to baffle me?? In the end, I decided that having the scratchplate made the difference to me as it makes the gap between the strings and the body of the bass smaller, which I find more comfortable when playing..

My dream was always to get a Custom 5 Mk II and have it built with a scratchplate and the old circuitry.. When I bought my Pro II from Gwilym, I also bought the second scratchplate with the circuit that he had as well, but by then Pete was not working anymore and I doubt I could have afforded it anyway! But it was nice to dream about from time to time.. :)

[quote name='mgauction' post='253592' date='Aug 3 2008, 06:23 AM']Yeah, dunc - Trevor's site is the best! I have had the same situations with my Pro11. These are the best basses!

Nik - Your comments are right on, my friend, as always! :huh:[/quote]

Likewise!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='244996' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:32 AM']With one of these you can get any sound that you want! (even a wal sound!) :)

[attachment=11065:Wall_midi.jpg]

check out [url="http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm"]http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm[/url][/quote]

I played a a Wal bass for the first time this afternoon at a local jam session pretty much the spitting image of that one but it had 21 frets IIRC, lovely sounding bass and played like a dream except the strap was a bit high for my tastes :huh: playing one has finally given me some serious Wal GAS a good few years after i missed out on one in my local crack converters for £600

[quote name='mr pablo' post='254014' date='Aug 3 2008, 11:53 PM']I played a a Wal bass for the first time this afternoon at a local jam session pretty much the spitting image of that one but it had 21 frets IIRC, lovely sounding bass and played like a dream except the strap was a bit high for my tastes :) playing one has finally given me some serious Wal GAS a good few years after i missed out on one in my local crack converters for £600[/quote]
Don't start me off again.............[url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url] no too late there I go

[quote]I'm not in the position now of having a custom as well as a ProII, but for a while I did and I always enjoyed playing the Pro model more than the Custom which used to baffle me??[/quote]
It's strange isn't it. My converted Pro1/Custom is great. Plays like a dream and sounds pretty good to. The Pro2E (possibly early Custom) I let get away in GAK a couple of weeks was the same, but I well remember spending a day in the old Bass Centre in Wapping years back and trying out a few others and finding it all a bit wooly & hard work. Possibly that was down to set up, but I would have hoped that wasn't the case in a shop.

[u][b][size=6][i]IF[/i][/size][/b][/u] you can find one nowadays at a reasonable price you can't go far wrong, and we can only hope that Paul continues the good work. I think he was about in the workshop when mine was converted and general consensus seems to be that the name is in safe hands.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='253659' date='Aug 3 2008, 06:15 AM']+1

I'm not in the position now of having a custom as well as a ProII, but for a while I did and I always enjoyed playing the Pro model more than the Custom which used to baffle me?? In the end, I decided that having the scratchplate made the difference to me as it makes the gap between the strings and the body of the bass smaller, which I find more comfortable when playing..[/quote]

I've never had a custom, (although mine does have "Custom" on the headstock), but I had a ProI passive fretless for a while. It had an amazing amount of tight low end for just having a single bridge pick up. I couldn't get used to it not having the neck pickup to rest my thumb on. That and I was so good without frets! :) I'm getting the urge to try fretless again though.

All this talk about Wal's made me get mine out for a covers band gig last night. I haven't used it much since getting the Lakland, but in a full, thickly carpeted room and using the Thunderfunk through the Bergantino cabs the sound was just great. The bass was clear, rich, full and warm, the mids were the same but punchier and the high's .... well I don't really do high's! After that experience I shall be using the Wal a lot more in the future.

[quote name='bassplace' post='254059' date='Aug 4 2008, 02:02 AM']I've never had a custom, (although mine does have "Custom" on the headstock), but I had a ProI passive fretless for a while. It had an amazing amount of tight low end for just having a single bridge pick up. I couldn't get used to it not having the neck pickup to rest my thumb on. That and I was so good without frets! :) I'm getting the urge to try fretless again though.[/quote]

That is gorgeous!! When I looked at it in your avatar, I thought it was a custom.... Fabulous looking bass!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='254181' date='Aug 4 2008, 05:08 AM']That is gorgeous!! When I looked at it in your avatar, I thought it was a custom.... Fabulous looking bass![/quote]

Thanks. I think it is a bit of a "parts" bass in Wal terms and is possibly the only rear loaded ProIIe. It was completed in March 1981 right when they were switching to Customs. Even has a left over JG plate for the SN. The trans-white is a refinish though. It was fretless and had a serious ding next to one of the knobs when I got it so I had Greg Curbow fix that and refinish it. I had always wanted a trans-white since seeing a P-Bass with the finish when I was a kid. Definitely a bass I would never willingly sell!

[quote name='bassplace' post='255024' date='Aug 4 2008, 07:47 PM']Thanks. I think it is a bit of a "parts" bass in Wal terms and is possibly the only rear loaded ProIIe. It was completed in March 1981 right when they were switching to Customs. Even has a left over JG plate for the SN. The trans-white is a refinish though. It was fretless and had a serious ding next to one of the knobs when I got it so I had Greg Curbow fix that and refinish it. I had always wanted a trans-white since seeing a P-Bass with the finish when I was a kid. Definitely a bass I would never willingly sell![/quote]

Dunc - Please! I want it! :) :huh: :huh:

[quote name='mgauction' post='255027' date='Aug 4 2008, 10:34 PM']Dunc - Please! I want it! :) :huh: :huh:[/quote]

I think you have me beat by a long shot. What color is that one front and center... salmon? And with the leather guard... WOW! Not bad lineage either.

[quote name='bassplace' post='255938' date='Aug 5 2008, 07:08 PM']I think you have me beat by a long shot. What color is that one front and center... salmon? And with the leather guard... WOW! Not bad lineage either.[/quote]

Yes, salmon. It is the former John Entwistle bass. Thanks!

[quote name='bassplace' post='255024' date='Aug 5 2008, 02:47 AM']Thanks. I think it is a bit of a "parts" bass in Wal terms and is possibly the only rear loaded ProIIe. It was completed in March 1981 right when they were switching to Customs. Even has a left over JG plate for the SN. The trans-white is a refinish though. It was fretless and had a serious ding next to one of the knobs when I got it so I had Greg Curbow fix that and refinish it. I had always wanted a trans-white since seeing a P-Bass with the finish when I was a kid. Definitely a bass I would never willingly sell![/quote]
Very cool! As is the Entwhistle bass....

Hello

I have a Wal question.

Watch this clip. After about a minute the left handed guitarist, who is on the left, switches to a bass. The video quality is not great, but I think he's playing a Wal.

Any thoughts on whether he is?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYhTgRhKDS4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYhTgRhKDS4...feature=related[/url]

Jim D.d.d.d.d

[quote name='JimD' post='257364' date='Aug 7 2008, 04:38 PM']Hello

I have a Wal question.

Watch this clip. After about a minute the left handed guitarist, who is on the left, switches to a bass. The video quality is not great, but I think he's playing a Wal.

Any thoughts on whether he is?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYhTgRhKDS4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYhTgRhKDS4...feature=related[/url]

Jim D.d.d.d.d[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure that's a Wal. Maybe a ProII, although I can't make out how many pickups are on it!