Why become a member? ×

Auditioning Guitarists Tomorrow - Advice Required

Sean

Hi All
My band is auditioning guitarists tomorrow and although we have a pretty good idea of what we're doing and what we're looking for some advice from others can make a difference.

We're an originals rock band with ten songs already written and demos recorded with other guitarists. We've got a good village hall booked with easy-in, easy-out loading, a good sound for recording the sessions and we've arranged the auditions in slots.

Each auditioning guitarist has been given four original songs to learn and the brief was to put their own style on them. They don't necessarily have to learn all four but should know enough material so that we can play the original material and we can all decide whether it works and if there is chemistry. Each guitarist will then play the songs along with the rest of the band and we'll be looking for who we feel is the best fit and who has a playing style that we like. We're also looking for someone that we get on with but realise that it is not necessarily easy in just an hour or so to decide whether someone is a perfect match. We're also very aware that we are also being auditioned by each guitarist so I will be having a bath tonight and ironing my t-shirt in readiness.

The singer and I are early 40s, the drummer is 28 and we are all very committed and driven albeit with day jobs and families. The goal of the band is to play the smaller originals festivals, support slots nationally and to record original material. It's not ever going to be a touring band but hopefully about as professional as an originals band can be with the constraints of it being a weekend warrior arrangement.

We'll be helping with unloading and moving gear should it should speed up setup times. This is the schedule for tomorrow.

11:00 - 12:00 Drummer, Singer and I turn up and set up and run through the plan, have a cup of tea, make sure we're on the case
12:00 - 13:15 first guitarist audition including setup, breakdown
13:15 - 14:30 second guitarist
14:30 - 14:45 tea break
14:45 - 16:00 third guitarist
16:00 - 17:15 fourth guitarist
17:15 - 1830 Drummer, Singer and I pack up and discuss, have a cup of tea, hopefully make decision

What have we missed? What experience has anyone got that they could pass on?
Should one of us (not the drummer, obviously) take notes so we don't forget stuff?
Someone suggested taking photos of them to aide discussion later but would that give the wrong impression, it's not a beauty contest? And moreover, I'd feel like a tw@t doing that.
Are there any sort of standard audition questions that we should be asking to gauge their commitment level? Any help gladly taken on board.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Sean

I'd put in a contingency between each guitarist to send one off before the next one arrives. Then you get a little discussion/note taking/sobbing time between each, and less chance for awkward "oh hi yeah just wait a sec while the previous guy packs up" moments.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1402135891' post='2470294']
In all seriousness - after you've worked through the four songs you've asked them to learn, how about presenting an idea (that you as a band may have worked on already) and seeing what they can add to it?
[/quote]

Nice idea. We've got a couple of unfinished things knocking around. Our drummer suggested a two chord funk thing that we've been working on just to see how the cope with something different.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1402135985' post='2470295']
I'd put in a contingency between each guitarist to send one off before the next one arrives. Then you get a little discussion/note taking/sobbing time between each, and less chance for awkward "oh hi yeah just wait a sec while the previous guy packs up" moments.
[/quote]

Cool. How about emailing them today to let them know to wait in their car until the previous guy has left? Is that reasonable?

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1402135393' post='2470283']

17:15 - 1830 Drummer, Singer and I pack up and discuss, have a cup of tea, hopefully make decision

Should one of us (not the drummer, obviously) take notes so we don't forget stuff?
Someone suggested taking photos of them to aide discussion later but would that give the wrong impression, it's not a beauty contest? And moreover, I'd feel like a tw@t doing that.
Are there any sort of standard audition questions that we should be asking to gauge their commitment level? Any help gladly taken on board.

[/quote]

1715-1830 decision !! i admire your optimisim

but seriously if they are all that close and not one individual stands out significantly above the rest then you might consider holding a second audition day especially as this is for original material and you need to find somebody with original ideas to bring something extra to the mix that is unique and different to the three of you already

hopefully there will be one of the four that stands out from the others and the decision sort of makes itself with just agreement from you all to confirm

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1402136413' post='2470303']

1715-1830 decision !! i admire your optimisim

but seriously if they are all that close and not one individual stands out significantly above the rest then you might consider holding a second audition day especially as this is for original material and you need to find somebody with original ideas to bring something extra to the mix that is unique and different to the three of you already

hopefully there will be one of the four that stands out from the others and the decision sort of makes itself with just agreement from you all to confirm
[/quote]

Hmmm. This has made me think. We've narrowed it down to these four from about twelve unseen applicants who submitted demos and youtube stuff so as these are the best of the bunch, it might prove trickier than we're currently thinking. I like the second audition idea.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1402136188' post='2470300']
Cool. How about emailing them today to let them know to wait in their car until the previous guy has left? Is that reasonable?
[/quote]

i dont get this - they know it's an audition - they know you have to try and maintain some sort of schedule - hence they know there will be somebody in before/after/both and that they might bump into them during the changeover

i wouldnt go so far as to encourage them to sit at the back of the room and point and laugh but how is it a problem if one of them bumps into another whilst loading/unloading ?

will they be comparing gear in some sort of guitarists pissing contest?

if their egos are that fragile then for me it would certainly be a big deciding factor and i t would take an exceptionally talented and gifted and original guitarist to trump that

i think being pragmatic trumps any notion of stroking their egos IMHO :rolleyes:

edit - apologies for being a bit blunt :D

Edited by steve-bbb

And after all that, hire the one which didn`t turn up with a 412.

No seriously, I think you`ve covered most areas very well, though as much of an audition for me would be auditioning the person as well as the playing. I`d spend at least 30mins of the time allocated chatting to them. As well as how they play, you need to get on with them. Agreed a 30min chat won`t make the decision of best buddies, but you can usually get an inkling of their character. Ask about transport, work, family, other musical commitments, gear, willingness to travel etc.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1402136188' post='2470300']
[/quote]

Yeah that's fine. Also, maybe post a week ago so you've got time to sort all this out. Otherwise, good luck with it!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402136886' post='2470311']
And after all that, hire the one which didn`t turn up with a 412.
[/quote]

Appropriate gear comments have already been made within the band :-D

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1402137175' post='2470314']

Also, maybe post a week ago so you've got time to sort all this out. Otherwise, good luck with it!
[/quote]

It's all been a bit touch and go but everything seemed to align yesterday and we get to go ahead as originally planned.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402136886' post='2470311']
I`d spend at least 30mins of the time allocated chatting to them. As well as how they play, you need to get on with them. Agreed a 30min chat won`t make the decision of best buddies, but you can usually get an inkling of their character. Ask about transport, work, family, other musical commitments, gear, willingness to travel etc.
[/quote]

This is spot on. It will take you just five minutes to establish whether or not they can play guitar, but five months to learn whether or not you actually like being in a band with them.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1402139426' post='2470349']
This is spot on. It will take you just five minutes to establish whether or not they can play guitar, but five months to learn whether or not you actually like being in a band with them.
[/quote]

Got to agree with this and what Lozz said.

I wouldn't worry too much. Looks like you're well organised and everything's nicely sorted for the audition.

By the time you've discounted the weirdo, ego-maniac, the one who can't commit, and those who aren't up to it, the choice will be obvious. Don't rush to make a decision, and only pick one if you're all agreed and sure it's a good fit.

Like others have said, get them jamming something with you, see how the react to a dynamic creative process. There are plenty of guitarists out there that can and will learn songs note for note but not all of these can be inventive and creative, most take this open creative process to mean "solo time" the guy I'd be most impressed with is the one who has the most sympathetic view to the song! Not all songs needs solo, some need a solid groove which is accented by some small runs, fills and counter harmonies and melodies.

I'd also sleep on the sessions, if you're recording them then watch/listen to them at least twice, once you keep pausing it and discussing it another you all listen to it non stop and note things down, I'd personally do the non stop listen and note down first.

Some really useful advice. Wish I'd posted last week.
I'm really looking forward to the whole process and it should bring the other three of us tighter as the drummer is very new although I've worked with him before and he's very good.

Having been a guitarist auditioning for a band (albeit a functions band) in a similar scenario, I wouldn't worry too much about auditionee no.2 hearing auditionee no.1 through the wall. In my case at first I thought 'oh crap, he's way better than me', and then 'what have I got to lose', so I just went for it, and got offered the slot the next day.

As both auditionee and auditioner, I always sleep on it before making a decision.

The recording idea is also a good one. Put the four audition recordings up online somewhere only you 3 can access them, and everyone can make their comments when you meet up for a pint/cuppa later.

You have probably already considered this, but money is a key issue - it's the source of many disagreements in couples! Try to get an idea of what they are expecting to put into, and get out of, the band financially. This includes cost/time of getting to rehearsals and gigs. If things are going well, your guitarist may not mind poorly paid gigs or chipping in for studio time, but these things can be a cause of resentment and discontent when other issues crop up.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402147432' post='2470440']
Having been a guitarist auditioning for a band (albeit a functions band) in a similar scenario, I wouldn't worry too much about auditionee no.2 hearing auditionee no.1 through the wall. In my case at first I thought 'oh crap, he's way better than me', and then 'what have I got to lose', so I just went for it, and got offered the slot the next day.

As both auditionee and auditioner, I always sleep on it before making a decision.

The recording idea is also a good one. Put the four audition recordings up online somewhere only you 3 can access them, and everyone can make their comments when you meet up for a pint/cuppa later.

You have probably already considered this, but money is a key issue - it's the source of many disagreements in couples! Try to get an idea of what they are expecting to put into, and get out of, the band financially. This includes cost/time of getting to rehearsals and gigs. If things are going well, your guitarist may not mind poorly paid gigs or chipping in for studio time, but these things can be a cause of resentment and discontent when other issues crop up.
[/quote]

Interesting perspective.

Money has been clarified up front, there isn't any :-) We stated in the ad that we weren't looking for paid gigs per se and also that any money we did earn would be used to pay for rehearsals or recordings.

As far as potential resentment about rehearsal fees, fuelling cars etc, I hadn't considered this. We will be expecting to split costs of studio time equally so I'll make sure that this is made clear tomorrow. Also rehearsal/writing frequency and costs will need to be made clear.

Edited by Sean

Is the guitarist going to be an add-on to the three of you who have already written the material etc? If so what's in it for them needs to be considered. Should one of your songs be picked up and recorded by someone else then who are the songwriters (ie who gets the money)?

Splitting costs sounds fine and dandy but the three of you have a potential upside as well.

Other than that, have fun.

Steve

Your audition plan is well thought-out. It strikes me that you and your band are more organised than most.

At some random point during the audition you might try asking them to turn down a touch and see how they react. ;)

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1402135393' post='2470283']
.Are there any sort of standard audition questions that we should be asking to gauge their commitment level?
[/quote]

Dunno what the standard questions are but I'd also be asking:

* Do you write your own songs? Can you do backing vocals? Do you play any other instruments?

* What do hope to get from being in this band? Regular(-ish) money, musical work-out, making new friends?

* What's your day job? Shift work?

* Do you have any other skills that might be useful? Web design, print, electrician, etc?

* Do you have any hobbies? Team/group stuff will mean a competing schedule.

* Are you married / in a relationship? Do you have children? How old are they?

* How would you feel if we were offered an unpaid gig and we had to cover our own expenses?

* What amp would you bring to a tiny back-room pub gig?

* Do you 'dress up' for gigs? Do you wear a hat and, if so, do you have any pictures with you?

Good luck and let us know how it all goes :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1402151569' post='2470486']
Your audition plan is well thought-out. It strikes me that you and your band are more organised than most.

At some random point during the audition you might try asking them to turn down a touch and see how they react. ;)

Dunno what the standard questions are but I'd also be asking:

* Do you write your own songs? Can you do backing vocals? Do you play any other instruments?

* What do hope to get from being in this band? Regular(-ish) money, musical work-out, making new friends?

* What's your day job? Shift work?

* Do you have any other skills that might be useful? Web design, print, electrician, etc?

* Do you have any hobbies? Team/group stuff will mean a competing schedule.

* Are you married / in a relationship? Do you have children? How old are they?

* How would you feel if we were offered an unpaid gig and we had to cover our own expenses?

* What amp would you bring to a tiny back-room pub gig?

* Do you 'dress up' for gigs? Do you wear a hat and, if so, do you have any pictures with you?

Good luck and let us know how it all goes :)
[/quote]

Perhaps give them a form to fill in while they're waiting!

Another thought - image! If a guy turns up with big hair, spandex, Ibanez Jem etc, is that a plus or a minus!?

EDIT: @Skank - is the hat a no-no then?

Edited by JapanAxe