Why become a member? ×

I want to play bass, must get the right clothes, oh, and a bass.

4 Strings

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1401905100' post='2468184']

My guitar to T shirt ratio is 4.5:1
[/quote]

I have more bass related tshirts than I have basses...... Reckon I probably have about 10 or 12 bass related t shirts on only 4 basses!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401893796' post='2467966']

Why can't I get jobs like that?? :blink:
[/quote]

You are a bad man, Mark :lol:

Gotta wear the right clothes. Our producer told us at the weekend that a guitarist of a band he knows (fairly successful band as well) turned up at a gig that the producer was doing the live sound for. He asked if the guitarist would like to get up on stage to do a number. The reply was "can not, no leather trousers".

Quality!

That reminds me, Tom Hingley from the Inspiral Carpets had a clothes stall in Affleck's Palace in Manchester, think it was called Mad Dog. I'd met him a couple of times at low-key acoustic gigs he was doing then ran into him in Affleck's - really nice bloke.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1401886449' post='2467833'] It's already happened to music shops; remember when HMV used to have row after row of records on shelves? Now you have to fight past games, DVDs, silly plastic headphones and clothes before you can look at the meager supple of music. [/quote]

True, but then that's because fewer and fewer people buy cds nowadays. Just glad they're still hanging on.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1401892264' post='2467923'] Do you remember a guy called Zac , think he had a PK50 Scooter? Think a big fella called Alan with a flat top , also worked there ? [/quote]

(Bizarre - my youngest has a middle name Isaac and called himself Zac for a short while, and rode a PK50! In fact it's still here, good runner, anyone want to buy it?)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1401895775' post='2468008']
Selling the image along with the bass is a well tried and tested theory. Look at Harley Davidson bikes. They sell the image of a Harley and others are catching on fast.
[/quote]

Indeed. Last time I was shopping for a bulldozer the shop assistant kept pestering me to buy a pair of boots and a cap with matching logo to go with it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401884750' post='2467807']
A lot of musicians could do with lessons on how to dress for live performance IMO. ;-)
[/quote]

Can you start with the jazz cats please? Maybe start with a gimp ball to stop all that scatting/singing along? And definitely lose the flat caps!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1402055470' post='2469566']
...does this count as Musowear [i]frugale[/i], or Musowear [i]brassique[/i]?
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Or possibly Musowear [i]incontinenté[/i]? [/size]I'm happy as long as I've got a spare pair of pants in my gig bag. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

Adding clothing to the stock list is perfectly sensible. A bass player who already has the 'big stuff' can indulge their GAS by buying a T shirt, which costs much less than a bass or amp, and is more fun than boring necessities like strings. It's also an option for the other half when present-shopping for the bassist in their life.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1402058474' post='2469622']
"Now, this be one of our own songs, hope you likes it..."
[/quote]

You [i]promised [/i]me you wouldn't post that sou'wester pic if I didn't felch your hedgehog. :(
A deal's a deal! :mellow:

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1401886832' post='2467837']

Bit like premiership football, looks like it, smells like it but when you pay close attention it's just a prima-donna haircut and fake pirouette party to cheat your way to three points.
[/quote]
This is fantastic, just my thoughts entirely. Unfortunately, I only get to see this on MOTD these days, as my 25 year season ticket is with Leeds

Ok, how about clothing specific to the musician? Right handed guitar players tend to have only the right shoulder not covered by instrument, strap etc so a t-shirt with a design that goes from the mid- chest upwards and over the right shoulder and down the back would be most effective. For a singer it would most probably be the lower half of the shirt, and for a keyboard player and drummer, across the upper chest.....

Or.. t-shirts with patterns all over that have reproductions of the instrument that you play blanked out in them, kind of like a negative.

I am rambling. Time for my medication methinks.