Why become a member? ×

Portable/Practice Combo Question

gadgie

Hi,
Been playing guitar for a long time howver very new to this bass thing. However, I'm liking it a lot and decided to look for a decent portable amp. This will be for home use and for rehearsals with a small band. Although the band has two guitars and drum and vox.....it is not a loud one unlike my last band which was a punk covers band where I played guitar.

So my thoughts are that the amp is portable and quite small. It would be good if it could be DI'd in the future or linkable to a cab etc for larger gigs....or just gigs even :)

I'm willing to make adecent commitment to the purchase of this amp whatever it ends up being.

Now the question. Which amp would you recommend?

I have been looking at Phil Jones stuff and although they seem expensive I might push to something on that price region. However, if there is something 'better for less' then I'm all (half deaf) ears.

Have you considered the head-and-cab route? It's what I've done for ages, so only the one head to learn for tone settings etc, with different cabs (tweaks to amp settings, perhaps) for different uses. 1x10 great for practice/small gig, up to two cabs for loud gigs.

If you're looking for small, light & loud, then there's many good options out there. There's a few on here with the MarkBass 1x12 combo & use the 12" ext cab for bigger gigs & I'm a Markbass 2x10 owner & love it.
There's many other good combos & you could pick up a Genz Benz for not a lot of money (now that Fender bought them, devalued them & scrapped them).
Another option would be a small light head such as a MarkBass LM & a small cab (or 2).

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1401562374' post='2464834']
Another vote for the new Fender Rumbles. DI out, aux in (for home practice) lots of tonal variety and they weigh nothing.
[/quote]

They do get a good review in this months Bass Guitar Mag.

If you just need a small rig and have the budget for PJ gear then the world (or at least the bass amp one) is your oyster really. I would spend a day at a well stocked shop and just try loads of amps out, see which ones you like and then get the credit card out! You said portability is important so make sure you pick them up and try and get through a doorway - not the front door obviously ;) Apart from the really small combos the PJ stuff isn't that light IIRC so that may be a factor.

Have a look at the FS section here, you'll save a ton of money and won't take a hit if you decide to move it on.