Why become a member? ×

Fender wide-necked Jazz bass?

solo4652

I've almost always played P-type basses. I'd really like to try a Jazz, but I find the 38mm necks too narrow. Is there such a thing as a Jazz bass with wide, P-style neck? I know of the Fender Frank Bello (PJ layout), but I don't particularly want an all-black bass. I have a G&L L-2000 but I'd really prefer a passive bass. 4-strings. All suggestions gratefully received.

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1401392061' post='2463257']
Yes - I thought about putting a P neck on a J bass, but I wondered if Fender had done that. Do all Fender P necks fit all Fender J basses?
[/quote]

Not sure if they all do - I think the more recent models may not be so interchangeable. It's not something that I've tried myself. Yet.

Fender P and J necks are interchangeable .the upper neck width has always been the same as far as I'm aware. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Fender have a template for every bass they make, manufactured in any country, under license of course. (apart from basses like the 24 fret or other variations) but the standards I'm pretty sure are all the same. they are mass production after all.

of course some might be a tighter, or a looser fit than others. but thats Fender.

Edited by bubinga5

The early 90s MIJ Squier Silver Series Jazz has a 40mm wide neck and is a damned fine bass.

But, then again, another vote for Mighty Mite necks - I have the opposite with a Jazz neck on a Precision bass.

Most standard Fender stuff should be mix & match-able - that was one of the main aims of the company wasn't it? Building instruments that are modular...

I'd be tempted to put a fancy Warmoth P-neck on a cheaper jazz body (to balance out the costs) - you could pick some nice exotic woods or posh looking maple...

I have always wanted the same combination and am a little suprised Fender have never done it. Even when they make a P/J model they usually stick a J neck on it, god knows why they presume every bass player wants a matchstick width neck.

I did think about mixing and matching some classic series Mexican parts from Stratosphere on eBay and building a Jazz with a 50's Precision neck with the full on 44mm nut width the same as Jaco used to use. The parts are resonably cheap and you get some good quality Fender parts, I still might do it one day.

Hmmm - build your own. How about I start with this loaded body: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOADED-1994-Fender-Japan-Standard-JAZZ-BASS-BODY-J-Bass-Guitar-Sunburst-30-OFF-/191149748223?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c8169afff and then add a P neck to it? Surely somebody here on B/C would have a decent P neck to fit it?

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1401445175' post='2463642']
How about I start with this loaded body: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOADED-1994-Fender-Japan-Standard-JAZZ-BASS-BODY-J-Bass-Guitar-Sunburst-30-OFF-/191149748223?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c8169afff"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c8169afff[/url] and then add a P neck to it? Surely somebody here on B/C would have a decent P neck to fit it?
[/quote]

But it's sunburst!! :o[size=4] Seriously though... it's as good an idea as any. Stick a post in Wanted Items for a P neck?[/size]

Vintage AV4? I owned one for a few months earlier in the year and would highly recommend one, even more so given their price. It does indeed have a p-bass dimensions neck. Fit and finish were spot on and I found that it sounded a bit chunkier than a Jazz - possibly due to the thicker neck and the body (alder) shape, which seemed a little bigger than a standard Jazz.

Aside from the aesthetic mods I did (changed the hardware for Wilkinson black), soundwise, I felt no need to modify it as the Alnico Wilkinson pickups sounded great as they were. I'd happily own another. I like the Vintage V-series, but the AV series is definitely higher-specced.

I know that Tim Commerford of RATM has got some custom Fender Jazz Basses and Lakland Joe Osborn basses with a Precision- width neck on them.

I'm sure that if someone made a production version of that option, it would suit quite a few bass players.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1401445175' post='2463642']
Hmmm - build your own. How about I start with this loaded body: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOADED-1994-Fender-Japan-Standard-JAZZ-BASS-BODY-J-Bass-Guitar-Sunburst-30-OFF-/191149748223?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c8169afff"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c8169afff[/url] and then add a P neck to it? Surely somebody here on B/C would have a decent P neck to fit it?
[/quote]

I have a P Bass neck if you want it? Made in Mexico, a bit "road worn" but plays very nicely indeed.

Edited by Jono Bolton

Thank you for the offer of the P neck. I've decided to buy the Vintage AV4 rather than cobble something together from parts. It would be just my luck to buy a neck that doesn't quite fit a body, with all the ensuing faff. I'll see how I get on with the Vintage and, if it converts me to Jazzes, I'll have to decide whether to keep it, or replace it with something better. Maybe, I'll be happy with the Vintage AV4 - it certainly gets good reviews. We'll see.

Thanks for pointing that out. Do you mean this one? Says 38mm neck in the blurb http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=09111214593528&gclid=CNn4r8aI1L4CFXLJtAodongAJg

Edited by solo4652