Why become a member? ×

Are All Fender Sig Models Mexican?

spongebob

Been doing a bit of digging since I picked up my used Geddy MIM.

Do I take it now all of the signature models are Mexican-produced? There's a fair few.

I suppose in my head I always thought of anything MIM as a bit of a poor relation to the US Standards....but obviously they don't offer US alternatives to these basses, like the Standards MIM and US. Even though the GL feels exactly the same as my old MIJ, maybe even sounds better to my ears.

Is Fender trying to up the MIM image a bit? There seemed to be bit of a debate when they moved the GL and MM manufacture from Japan....but after all, where it's screwed together doesn't reflect where individual components are constructed?

....and if you want a signature model, I can't see any alternative!

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1401388081' post='2463181']
Didn't digg very deep then did you, seems a bit of a dumb question.
[/quote]

Very nice. Thanks for the kind reply.

Only one g in dig, BTW. Bit of dumb spelling.

Mods - please delete this thread if this is the line it is taking - thanks.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1401389751' post='2463213']

[/quote]

No need to close a thread because one poster had too much sand in their vagina. \o/

Have they moved MM sig basses to Mexico now too?

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1401389751' post='2463213']

[/quote]classy comeback.

i think MIM have had built quite a good rep since the Roadworn. maybe its becoming cheaper to make there sig models in Mexico. I loved the 70's RI MIM jazz bass i played.

Edited by bubinga5

IMO the standard of MIM basses has gone up considerably in the last 10 years. (This may well apply to other countries of origin, as the factory workers raise their skill levels, and the manufacturers come to expect more from them.)

10 years ago I didn't think much of the MIM Precisions I tried (kind of 'dry' sounding, for one thing), but I had no such reservations with the MIM Mustang i got a few months back.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1401407211' post='2463449']
The answer to your question is not straight forward. As molan has said, some are USA and some are Mexican depending on the model. If it came out of the Custom Shop, it's north of the border. Confusingly I think there are three Geddy's now aren't there? The CS, a MIJ and a MIM? I'm not sure about MM. I'm a bit out of touch with EB related trivia.
[/quote]

There are only two in production - the MIM one, which previously MIJ, and the MIA custom shop model.

MIM are definitely better now. I suspect it's down to modern day CNC machines. That's certainly been a significant factor in entry level instruments made in the far east.

I was visiting Fender Corona last year and noticed that the necks for higher end Mexican instruments were being made in Corona. Then sent across the border.

I've put my personal GAS behind both. I bought myself a new MIM stratocaster which is totally ACE, and I've now got a Custom Shop '64 relic Jazz.

Both offer Damn good value IMHO!

Recently got a new MIM jazz, the fit and finish are superb and the whole package, for me, was unbeatable, weight was spot on, sounds good,looks great, neck pocket tight as you like. Really couldn't justify spending more for my purposes.

MIM have definitely got better in the last couple of years of production - when I was looking to buy I thought the current MIM standard was very good quality.

I'm not sure if all the sig models are made there though (in answer to your question), I've not followed them as I don't really get the concept, nothing wrong with them though if you like the look.