Why become a member? ×

(Deep) Purple Patch

spongebob

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1400534810' post='2454822']
I've always thought that Blackmore is criminally overlooked when people talk about the Great British Guitar Players.
[/quote]
Not with the guys I hang with. We put him right up there and a couple of well respected musicians I know reckon he was the greatest of all time.
would love to see him back rocking out with a strat
I remember years ago reading an interview with the modest Yngwie Malmsteen, where he reckoned he could outplay any guitarist past or present, other than Blackmore

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400534885' post='2454826']

Quite recently a fellow musician asked me what bass players influenced me and I was making that exact point. I was influenced by great songs performed by great bands, not by individual musicians. Back in the day the likes of Purple and Zep were turning out an album every year or less and there are so many great moments in there. FFS, Led Zeppelin 1 was recorded and mixed in 36 hours!
'Made in Japan' was recorded at a cost of $3000 with no overdubs. It is a great live recording of one of rocks great bands, performing fabulous songs IMO.
Interestingly those old vinyl recordings sound so much better sonically IMO, than the some of the more recent stuff out there which is mastered in such a way that dynamics are lost.
[/quote]

Call me an old fart (which many people have!), but I totally agree. :-)

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1400538183' post='2454866']
Much as I would like to add something to the debate........ all I can say in my present inebriated state is....... I saw em at Knebworth...'kin great I say...LOVE perfect strangers!!!!

*falls down drunk*
[/quote]

And on a Monday night, too! lol :D

Another DP fan. For me DPmkII was the best - something about the mix of personalities/sounds/whatever just gelled. Made In Japan is, for me, as good as a live album can possibly be. I didn't ever see them at that stage, sadly, but caught them for the first time on the 'Burn' tour which would have been 40 years ago. 40 years!! That was a good gig - The Kursaal at Southend. I remember a rather well-endowed young lady with no kit on rushing onto the stage and leaping on Richie B, who quickly spun his guitar round and played on the cheeks of her bum. Coverdale/Hughes were a pretty good combination. I saw them again when Steve Morse first joined - they were good but not the same. Gillan's voice was already shot by then.

Somebody say Hush?! I always think that sound sounds like it could be written in any Era. I love Burn to pieces, brilliant album. Love my Vinyl of Made in Japan!

Definitely my two favourite Deep Purple albums, but to be honest I'm happy to listen to all of them. Jon Lord is a huge influence on me. No one can beat the hammond through a marshall sound he had. Jordan Rudess does some decent Lord tributes though.

Been too long since I listened to DP actually...

This is why I love this forum :D Plus I can have taste in any era of music and because I'm secretly older at heart no one judges me haha! (No offence. We all know no one here is a day over 25 ;) )

Gillan had nodes removed from his throat around 82-83 after an exhausting 5 years of endless recording/touring cycles with the Gillan band. Instead of taking time off he got drunk with Toni Iommi and agreed to join Sabbath. This is probably not the whole truth but there is no doubt doing the Born Again album and subsequent tour did his voice no favours at that stage. Then DP mkII reformed and they were back on the long tour treadmill again. Eventually he had to rethink how he sang completely and in fact the tours for albums such as Bananas and Rapture of the Deep saw him singing better than he had done for some time. Considering he's now approaching his 69th birthday it's surprising just what he can do rather than what he can't. Saw them last year, did a track off latest album called 'Vincent Price'. There's a tricky high note right at the end, he nailed it on the night I saw them. It's less about the range these days though and more of the phrasing which he's always been excellent at, the Frank Sinatra of Rock. And if you get to chat to him for a length of time he's a lot brighter than you might think, does a lot of dumbing down 'acting' in some interviews.

Well done to Gillan for sticking with it over the years, but I have no interest in seeing them :( , as the material with Morse (other than 'Perpendicular') is no where as strong as that recorded by MK11 and MK111 Purple IMO. I have seen them with Morse a couple of times and well.............enough said :(
Gillan obviously is not the singer he was back in the day, but it was for those trademark high notes that he could hit with power and ease, that he was most noted for and all that is long gone, as is the golden throated tone he displayed in his performance.
By all accounts Gillan is a bit of a party hound, an well he is entitled to be (he has a kindred spirit here). Yea he might have looked after his voice better, but c'est la vie, and when I listen to his current offerings, I sometimes think it is a pity Purple have not packed it in years ago. However they seem to really enjoy themselves when performing, they command big crowds, so hey what do they care what I think.
So fair play to them, but onwards and upwards is not the journey they are on IMO.

Edited by leroydiamond

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1400473234' post='2454123']
Indeed.

This might make up for it though:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AL73LYo64A"]https://www.youtube....h?v=3AL73LYo64A[/url]

[/quote]

Praise the "Lord", the man is a force of nature, one of my top 2 or 3 all time musical heroes.

To echo what Leroy has said, the simple fact is that everything is a time and a place, and Deep Purple's time ended nearly forty years ago.

They were a great band back in their day- in many ways, better than anybody gave them credit for at the time- but the reality is that what made them Deep Purple ceased to exist back in the mid-1970's. Everything else has been a very pale shadow of that. Nothing can take away from what an extraordinary band they were though, and the transcendent power of their best moments is, quite rightly, the stuff of legend .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400587271' post='2455114']
To echo what Leroy has said, the simple fact is that everything is a time and a place, and Deep Purple's time ended nearly forty years ago.

They were a great band back in their day- in many ways, better than anybody gave them credit for at the time- but the reality is that what made them Deep Purple ceased to exist back in the mid-1970's. Everything else has been a very pale shadow of that. Nothing can take away from what an extraordinary band they were though, and the transcendent power of their best moments is, quite rightly, the stuff of legend .
[/quote]
Nailed it.

Guest bassman7755

IMO purple were losing their identity by this stage and in hind sight you can clearly the emergence of the whitesnake sound (e.g. mistreated) and the rainbow sound (e.g. stormbringer). I still like this stuff but it somehow just isn't "proper purple".

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1400590181' post='2455167']
IMO purple were losing their identity by this stage and in hind sight you can clearly the emergence of the whitesnake sound (e.g. mistreated) and the rainbow sound (e.g. stormbringer). I still like this stuff but it somehow just isn't "proper purple".
[/quote]
Point Taken but 'Burn' is a sensational album IMO

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400588595' post='2455143']
Any thoughts on the notion of Blackmore, Paice, Coverdale, and Hughes coming back together and doing it one last time?. They are all still fine performers and if they knocked their heads together they could still put on a stellar show.
[/quote]

Wouldn't think Blackers would be remotely interested and Coverdale's voice is probably worse (in comparison to what it was in its heday) than Gillan's these days. Hughes is still in relatively fine fettle and with the demise of Black Country Communion would probably be up for a final big payday. Paice is quite happy doing what he's done most of his career - be the drummer in Deep Purple!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1400592488' post='2455215']
Wouldn't think Blackers would be remotely interested and Coverdale's voice is probably worse (in comparison to what it was in its heday) than Gillan's these days. Hughes is still in relatively fine fettle and with the demise of Black Country Communion would probably be up for a final big payday. Paice is quite happy doing what he's done most of his career - be the drummer in Deep Purple!
[/quote]
Its 'Deep Purple' by name only in my book and i agree that Coverdale is well pat his best, though he always gets lots of hot ladies at his gigs, which might be a good enough reason to have him on board :)

Edited by leroydiamond

I rather suspect DC picks his backing band members as much for their singing ability these days as their instrumental qualities ;) There were always some b vox in WSnake but now they are doubling up on the lead lines half the time too.

Edited by KevB

Nice to see 'Burn' getting some love. Certainly the sound of a band reinvigorated.

Always loved 'Come Taste.....' as well. Different, but a little bit funky too.

Just amazing how all this happened 70-75. When big bands today take 6 months to tune thier floor toms, Purple would have managed 2 abums and about 6 world tours!

Got to love the improvisation of the live stuff as well - another big selling point for me as I love bands streching out. Another aspect of 'rock' acts of a time now gone.

Perhaps this is why pretty much any 'rock' bands I love all finished in the era I was stumbling around in nappies!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1400603678' post='2455382']
Nice to see 'Burn' getting some love. Certainly the sound of a band reinvigorated.

Always loved 'Come Taste.....' as well. Different, but a little bit funky too.

Just amazing how all this happened 70-75. When big bands today take 6 months to tune thier floor toms, Purple would have managed 2 abums and about 6 world tours!

Got to love the improvisation of the live stuff as well - another big selling point for me as I love bands streching out. Another aspect of 'rock' acts of a time now gone.

Perhaps this is why pretty much any 'rock' bands I love all finished in the era I was stumbling around in nappies!
[/quote]

Ah you have connection with Mayo! That's my home county. Purple were big in Ballina in the 70's

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400604445' post='2455390']

Ah you have connection with Mayo! That's my home county. Purple were big in Ballina in the 70's
[/quote]

I have! Specifically Castlebar (Breaffy) and Kiltimagh. I was born in Mayo, but grew up over here. Long family history all around Mayo.

I've got a place now in Kiltimagh, which I'll come to full time when the time (and money, job, etc...!) Is right.

All of this from DP - probably still being blasted in Ballina!

Can I just add that I listened to the Kevin Shirley remix today of 'Come Taste The Band'.

Always loved it, and the remixed tracks sounds amazing. It used to be one of my fave DP albums, and I think it still is.

I didn't realise first time around how good Tommy Bolin was, or what a recorded legacy he had - especially the fusion stuff. What an inspired choice for DP! Tragic end, though. :([size=4] [/size]