Why become a member? ×

(Deep) Purple Patch

spongebob

Isn't is great 'rediscovering' old bands/records that you'd put away?

I used to listen to loads of Deep Purple as a teen (in the 80s). Kind of got into other stuff, and put them to the back of my mind. I suppose at Uni and the like, it wouldn't have been the coolest.

Few weeks back I was going through my Google Play, and up popped a bit of DP. My word, how foolish was I filing this away?

I hadn't realised what an influence that Roger Glover/Glenn Hughes on my sound. I'm kind of remembering that my first view of a Ric may have been on the back of 'Deepest Purple'?

I'm just amazed how powerful the records are - just the intensity of the rhythm section, the kind of free nature of the material. It just sounds so fresh to me. Makes modern rock records seem very dull in comparison.

Just though I'd like to share this! Just on the concept that no matter what different path you go down, what you get into, some stuff from your very start can still sound good.

.....and how it may be influencing you without your knowledge! :)

"Made in Japan" is an astoundingly good listen and I love "Burn" with Glen Hughes on board making it it funky. Purple are one of my all time favourites.
However every dog has its day :(
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnSRt6HYt8k"]https://www.youtube....h?v=XnSRt6HYt8k[/url]

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400434340' post='2453830']
"Made in Japan" is an astoundingly good listen and I love "Burn" with Glen Hughes on board making it it funky. Purple are one of my all; time favourites.
However every dog has its day :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnSRt6HYt8k
[/quote]

Oh dear.

I think it's quite amazing what's on record 70-75 - the drumming especially. Really free...just a shame bands don't play like it now. Saying that, I bought 'The House Of Blue Light' when it came out, and they didn't play like it then either!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1400440541' post='2453909']
I think it's quite amazing what's on record 70-75 - the drumming especially. Really free...just a shame bands don't play like it now. Saying that, I bought 'The House Of Blue Light' when it came out, and they didn't play like it then either!
[/quote]

Oh go on then. Still remain in my top ten fave bands of all time. What more can I say to those unfamiliar but get out there and hear 'em for yourselves. Their history is one of the best soap operas in rock n roll.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1400447816' post='2454005']
Oh go on then. Still remain in my top ten fave bands of all time. What more can I say to those unfamiliar but get out there and hear 'em for yourselves. Their history is one of the best soap operas in rock n roll.
[/quote]

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist, tee hee :D

And I agree, BTW :-)

[quote name='jgmh315' timestamp='1400435631' post='2453853']Oh dear.[/quote]

Indeed.

This might make up for it though:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AL73LYo64A"]https://www.youtube....h?v=3AL73LYo64A[/url]

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='jgmh315' timestamp='1400430655' post='2453751']
Funnily enough, I decided to learn Highway Star today. Great music.
[/quote]

My first real band played several DP tunes including Highway Star - great stuff!

Iain Paice was/ is one of the funkiest drummers in rock and no one could make a Hammond scream like the late, great Jon Lord. Both terrific in Paice Ashton & Lord as well.

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1400473234' post='2454123']
Indeed.

This might make up for it though:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AL73LYo64A"]https://www.youtube....h?v=3AL73LYo64A[/url]

[/quote]
Doesn't get much better does it. Terrific stuff. Really miss Blackmore wielding a strat.

[quote name='jgmh315' timestamp='1400476086' post='2454126']
That's more like it. I watched the Perfect Strangers vid yesterday.
[/quote]
Really disappointed with that Vid, Attended their Knebworth gig a few months after that vid was shot and they were in top form.
However on that Vid, Gillan just struggles throughout IMO. His performance on 'Child in Time' is pitiful.The band just go through the motions , as no doubt Gillans offerings are impacting on the band's ability to deliver. Yep I deposited that vid into the bargain bin of my local charity shop.
In his prime though Gillan was pure majesty. Easily my favourite Rock vocalist of all time

Though Gillan was probably a bit past his prime by '84 he was also suffering with a very heavy cold for the gig that was filmed and subsequently released as 'Perfect Strangers' DVD. It was doing the rounds as a bootleg for years before. I think it was touch and go if the gig would go ahead at all at one point.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1400495539' post='2454294']
Though Gillan was probably a bit past his prime by '84 he was also suffering with a very heavy cold for the gig that was filmed and subsequently released as 'Perfect Strangers' DVD. It was doing the rounds as a bootleg for years before. I think it was touch and go if the gig would go ahead at all at one point.
[/quote]

Yep I knew the circumstances around this show. I was so looking forward to seeing the 'Perfect Strangers' vid, as I have been a life long Purple nut. What a disappointment. Best if had not been released IMO.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400494639' post='2454281']Doesn't get much better does it. Terrific stuff. Really miss Blackmore wielding a strat.[/quote]

+1. Purple without Lord & Blackmore directing proceedings isn't Purple IMO.

Don Airey was the obvious (& only?) choice to replace JL, & Morse is without doubt a cracking player, with none of RB's 'guitardist' failings... but the chemistry isn't there.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1400527847' post='2454715']
+1. Purple without Lord & Blackmore directing proceedings isn't Purple IMO.

Don Airey was the obvious (& only?) choice to replace JL, & Morse is without doubt a cracking player, with none of RB's 'guitardist' failings... but the chemistry isn't there.
[/quote]

Pretty much, though I was quite impressed with 'Purpendicilar', Morse's first album with Purple, though it really has been down hill from there. For m,e Blackmore was really unique, a total one off. Without him, Purple have never reached the dizzy heights that made them a truly great band.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400531789' post='2454774']

For m,e Blackmore was really unique, a total one off. Without him, Purple have never reached the dizzy heights that made them a truly great band.
[/quote]
I know where you are coming from but not sure that I totally agree - I really liked the DP album with Tommy Bolin...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1400532957' post='2454785']
I know where you are coming from but not sure that I totally agree - I really liked the DP album with Tommy Bolin...
[/quote]
yea 'Come Taste the Band' with Bolin on board is a real knock out record. Unfortunately Bolin did not make it long enough to truly put his stamp on Purple so we will never know what might have been.
Blackmore's approach to playing was quite ahead of his time. He had an instantly recognisable signature tone and many of the riffs he came up with are part of rocks master pieces IMO. He really shines through when he is backing the band with his rhythm playing (Listen to his playing during Lord's keyboard solo's on 'Made in Japan'). He really had the 'Guitar God' look, which kind of makes a difference.
Morse is a virtuoso, but to me he sounds like a whole lot of other guitar players of that genre.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400533885' post='2454806']
Blackmore's approach to playing was quite ahead of his time. He had an instantly recognisable signature tone and many of the riffs he came up with are part of rocks master pieces IMO. He really shines through when he is backing the band with his rhythm playing (Listen to his playing during Lord's keyboard solo's on 'Made in Japan'). He really had the 'Guitar God' look, which kind of makes a difference.
[/quote]

I've always thought that Blackmore is criminally overlooked when people talk about the Great British Guitar Players.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1400534146' post='2454813']
I absolutely love Purple. One of the first bands i mega got into. Funnily enough though non of the bass players have influenced me. It was more the overall musicality of it with Lord vs Blackmore at the centre. Plus paicey smashing it.
[/quote]

Quite recently a fellow musician asked me what bass players influenced me and I was making that exact point. I was influenced by great songs performed by great bands, not by individual musicians. Back in the day the likes of Purple and Zep were turning out an album every year or less and there are so many great moments in there. FFS, Led Zeppelin 1 was recorded and mixed in 36 hours!
'Made in Japan' was recorded at a cost of $3000 with no overdubs. It is a great live recording of one of rocks great bands, performing fabulous songs IMO.
Interestingly those old vinyl recordings sound so much better sonically IMO, than the some of the more recent stuff out there which is mastered in such a way that dynamics are lost.

Edited by leroydiamond