Why become a member? ×

sending bass by courier help

jassbass

There's a link to a pinned topic on couriers and packing here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156589-couriers-packing/

There's a current topic to do with avoiding myHermes as a courier because of bad experiences. I've used ParcelForce to send stuff a few times but you're only insured up to £100 for musical instruments and you cannot extend cover beyond that limit. Interparcel seems to have pretty good feedback on here. If you're packing a bass in bubblewrap inside a cardboard box (try a bike shop for empty boxes if you have nothing suitable) then it'll probably weigh around say 12 to 13 lb (say 6 kg) and you ought to be able to measure it when packaged surely?

You usually need the weight and dimensions of the package. I once sent a bass to Europe by UPS form one of their depots. The guy there checked size and weight. After it had been delivered I received an increased invoice saying the package was bigger and heavier than I had said. They had to backtrack when I told them it had been dropped off at their depot. Beware. There are good and bad in most of the couriers out there.

Wrap the package very well. Don't skimp on the packaging. Then label it very clearly. That can only help it get there safely.

Inhave sent stuff with Parcelforce very successfully but they don't insure instruments. Interparcel seems OK but some have had issues. Interlink and I think DPD give you a one hour slot in which your package will be picked up or delivered. They keep to it as well.

The Parcelforce website states "Musical instruments - no enhanced compensation is available" in their terms so I took that to mean their standard inclusive cover (up to an article limit of £100) is still payable in compensation.

My main tip when packing a bass would be to pack it in such a way that nothing shakes or moves inside the box when you wiggle/shake it. Pack it tight enough so this is achieved, but don't stuff it to the point where there's a risk the box might burst.

As for couriers, my favourite has been UPS via Interparcel. Never had a problem, and have sent more than a few basses in my time.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1400444051' post='2453964']
All of the above. I have sent a bass by Parcel Force and the service was quick and efficient. My one tip to add those above - slacken the strings before you ship the bass! They place a lot of tension on the neck and the wrong bump or drop in transit could end badly.
[/quote]

But of course Parcel Force sent musical instruments can only be insured for up to £100.

Don't slacken off the strings unless you are going to also slacken off the truss rod by the same amount (do you know what the same amount is?) The two are under equilibrium and should be kept that way. It's much better just to pack the bass properly so that the neck is supported and can't move.

The problem with all couriers is that there are too many variables. Just because the driver who delivers and collects your parcels is good doesn't mean that the person at the other end of the delivery chain is going to take the same amount of care and pride in their job.

I'm sure that Mark at Bass Direct is very pleased with the service he is getting from the courier company he uses. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the people working in my local depot, and as a result I would hesitate to order anything big from Bass Direct again if it was going to be delivered.

I've been successfully using UPS via Interparcel for the last few years to send stuff all over the world. The service I get on collection here in Nottingham is always excellent. However I have no idea what happens to my parcels once they reach the depot. I pack everything well and so far there have been no complaints.

BTW has anyone looked at the Prohibited and Restricted items list on Interparcel recently? There are at least two categories that could be used against a claim on damage or loss of musical instruments and equipment:

Articles of exceptional value (eg, works of art, antiques, precious stones, gold and silver) over £250

Magnets or items containing ferro-magnetic material

Makes you think...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1400483328' post='2454161']
Magnets or items containing ferro-magnetic material

Makes you think...
[/quote]

That's probably to cover hard drives/floppy disks/magnetic tape which could be adversely affected if placed close to other items containing big magnets (loudspeakers) or close to large power cables (in a depot?).

Edited by HowieBass

Although I have used couriers many times and never had a problem (usually via Interparcel or parcel2go), if the bass is expensive I would consider making a personal trip (or encouraging the buyer to do so).

Its fine when things go well, but I have heard some real horror stories about when it doesn't.... Is it worth the risk?

Edited by Conan

Like BigRedX, I use UPS via Interparcel. Most times, on 2-day service, the item has been delivered the next day, so all good there. Good collections, which are usually at the same time each day (if you decide to become a regular seller). So far no issues. Good prices too.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1400489499' post='2454215']
That's probably to cover hard drives/floppy disks/magnetic tape which could be adversely affected if placed close to other items containing big magnets (loudspeakers) or close to large power cables (in a depot?).
[/quote]

Probably, but as with all insurers if they find a loophole in their ts & cs then you can guarantee they'll use it to screw you.

I generally use Interparcel who are really just brokers for the main couriers but at a discount.

My attitude when packing an item is "assume the worst" and pack it with enough stuff to protect whatever your sending. Most shops will give away sheets of Polystyrene and boxes and though more packaging means more weight it also means more protection for the item.

I recently acquired a bass which came in a large cardboard box (no case). The seller used a piece of timber on both sides of the neck to protect it - unorthodox but practical.