Why become a member? ×

Its here!

Jesus

Its just got here, and im a little excited to get home now... This will be the first time ive picked up a bass and pissed the neighbopurs off, ever!

Im out all night in Canning Town watching a mates band so im not gonna get to play till tomorrow. Im also relying almost solely on StudyBass & a few downloaded video's to teach me the basics. Anything i should be aiming to be capable of doing within the 1st few hours/first few days? :) :huh: :huh:

Edited by Jesus

[quote name='Machines' post='241731' date='Jul 17 2008, 01:32 PM']If you can't play Mr Pink perfectly within a day or two you should just give up.[/quote]
Ha! If you can play [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2vV_L7OQtU0"]Owner of a Lonely Heart[/url] in a week - the verses & chorus, not the bridge - you're on to a winner.

([i]90125[/i] was my "bass primer", after the review in Bass Player mag called it that as a compliment. I dunno what the modern equivalent would be - Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire or Radiohead? :)

[quote name='Jesus' post='241724' date='Jul 17 2008, 01:24 PM']Its just got here, and im a little excited to get home now... This will be the first time ive picked up a bass and pissed the neighbopurs off, ever!

Im out all night in Canning Town watching a mates band so im not gonna get to play till tomorrow. Im also relying almost solely on StudyBass & a few downloaded video's to teach me the basics. [b]Anything i should be aiming to be capable of doing within the 1st few hours/first few days? :huh: :huh: :huh:[/quote][/b]

yeah anything by U2 :)

Keep at it! dont give up!

Maybe after a few months, you could try jam with some other beginners. Thats what i did, and it really did help. infact, we're all still together as a band!

Hope it all goes well! and get some photo's up! It always makes things more interesting! hehe :)

Right just got in from my extended london jaunt, i'll get some pics up tomorrow morn for those that want to to oogle over. Im gonna take a look at all your suggestions, and choose something that im gonna enjoy learning. And as for the books, im gonna see how much their going for and where i can pick 'em up from. I nearl ypicked up a copy of the idiots guide to bass but thought it would be best to hear from you guys befor espending my hard earned on something that could be useless...

Watch this space!

After a combined practice time of not that long find myself struggling with what should be fairly easy stuff i would have thought.

I checked out the beginners lessons that have been sticky-ed in the technique forum and can play the first lesson (U2) with fairly good timing, but my left hand speed is shocking going up and down the neck from the 7th fret to the 3rd, then back to the 10th. Ive also noticed that i have practically no dexterity in my fingers whatsoever, will this get better? Its a big worry.

I also thought it would be nice to learn a bass line i like so i started learning No Easy Way Out (the tune from rocky, can remember who the original is by but Bullet For My Valentine recently covered it). Im really having trouble with my speed up and down the neck.

And now im getting a fret buzz that i didnt have yesterday, why would that be? I also have a feeling the action is quite high to what maybe the majority would have it set-up. Will anyone be able to give some advice if i get some pics up tomorrow?

And to top it all i forgot to mention im a lefty learning right. I thought this might be more advantageous in the future when it comes to be able to pick up anyones bass in the future and jam rather than carrying mine around with me everywhere, and as ive never played guitar or bass before my body shouldnt know any different right? Although i did air-guitar left handed.

[quote name='Jesus' post='243935' date='Jul 20 2008, 05:34 PM']And to top it all i forgot to mention im a lefty learning right. I thought this might be more advantageous in the future when it comes to be able to pick up anyones bass in the future and jam rather than carrying mine around with me everywhere, and as ive never played guitar or bass before my body shouldnt know any different right? Although i did air-guitar left handed.[/quote]

Left handed instruments are a myth, anyway. Ever seen a left handed piano or a left handed cello? When both hands are doing seperate and different tasks, everyone can play the same way. I hate how manufacturers charge more money for the left handed models as well. If you're going to make lefties at all, there should be pricing parity :)

Welcome to the forum & to bass playing, "Jesus" :huh:

[quote name='Jesus' post='243935' date='Jul 20 2008, 05:34 PM']After a combined practice time of not that long find myself struggling with what should be fairly easy stuff i would have thought.

I checked out the beginners lessons that have been sticky-ed in the technique forum and can play the first lesson (U2) with fairly good timing, but my left hand speed is shocking going up and down the neck from the 7th fret to the 3rd, then back to the 10th. Ive also noticed that i have practically no dexterity in my fingers whatsoever, will this get better? Its a big worry.[/quote]

I've been playing and learning myself for around 9 months now and I know what you're going through. My finger dexterity still leaves a lot to be disired, so don't worry too much. As my tutor keeps saying it's not how fast you can play something it's how accurate!! It doesn't matter how fast you play something because with speed comes mistakes and these are often mistakes that cannot be rectified in the long term. So start off slow make sure you get it right and accurate first, then slowly speed it up. But I know how frustrating it is not to be able to play tracks that you like. Or to be able to play certain patterns etc. But you have to learn to walk before you can run.
I play along to a metronome for timing, you can get loads of free pieces of metronome software online.
But the main thing that my instructor keeps telling me is make your practice time FUN and don't let it become a chore, enjoy what you are doing. These are all wise words! I hope this is of some help?

dexterity comes with time, i remember going through the beginners books and videos following the so boring single note patterns. then when it came to start moving around the neck it just wasn't happening. but like anything the more you do it the better you get and like wooks said you got to be accurate, if you get this right first then speed can come later.
but what ever you do or play have fun with it otherwise it can get dropped pretty quick if you make it too hard work so split your 'lessons' up with trying to learn a song you like.

My bass of choice is an Aria Pro II - I love it I have to say.
The very next thing you should get is a tuner. Don't let anybody tell you you should do it by ear, save yourself the effort and get a tuner!

Oh and if you can't play Anasthesia - (Pulling Teeth) or Orion after 3 weeks, then give it up mate.
Seriously. :)