Why become a member? ×

NAD: Fender Rumble 100

gsgbass

[color=#333333]On the outset, the sound is very clear, with a pounding punch. My personal preference, I'm using the Gain @ about 7, Bass @ about 8, Low Mid @ about 4-5, High Mid @ 3, Treble @2. Master @ about 7. Then the rest of the settings onboard the Axe. The Precision has been the only one I've had a chance to run through it so far. [/color]

[color=#333333]The Overdrive is an enormous jump in power, about double the settings when on. I haven't gotten into the Bright, Contour, or Vintage settings yet.[/color]

[color=#333333]So far, from what I've seen, and heard from this Rumble 100, it's a top quality Fender amp. The 3rd generation Rumble amps do appear to be the best of the 3 generations of the Fender Rumble Series bass amps.[/color]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NSSsHeS.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by gsgbass

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1399379601' post='2443577']
Could have done with a socket for an iPad or iPod etc
[/quote]

There's a 1/8" aux input, so still feasible to hook up iPads and iPhones via the headphone jack.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1399389403' post='2443739']
Are these the ones apparently based on the Genz-Benz tech they acquired?
[/quote]

This is supposed to be the case, which is why Fender 'killed' Genz Benz and presumably why the new Rumble range is so well received.

I grabbed the 500 version today, had a gift card for the store so didn't have to add much from my own pocket :)
It's pretty light and an easy one handed lift.
Got a small gig /party next Friday I'll take it along and see if it copes, there is always the ext out but that defeats the idea of having a combo lol.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1399464582' post='2444453']
I grabbed the 500 version today, had a gift card for the store so didn't have to add much from my own pocket :)
It's pretty light and an easy one handed lift.
Got a small gig /party next Friday I'll take it along and see if it copes, there is always the ext out but that defeats the idea of having a combo lol.
[/quote]

I agree with you too about the ext out on the combo. I used to do the external cab from the combo myself. I just like one amp for going mobile if needed anymore. I also really don't like having to run a external cab from a combo, to get the full wattage, and power from a combo as well.

I have just been using mine mainly set flat the Gain at 12'o clock as well, a lot of punch and pretty deep sounding, then to taste with the tone control on the bass. That's at home tho, have a practice today and will take it along.
Not sure how sensitive the gain knob is, when I go from passive to active basses there is not a lot of boost or drop-off in volume.
Missing a mute switch atm, no deal killer but it would of been nice.

For anybody following this I'd say the 500 combo is more than enough as a stand alone for most gigs, it gives a lot of punch and definition from the 2x10's.. I wasn't left wanting for a rounder or fuller sound. Only had to crank it to 3pm to keep up with 2 guitars and a drummer.
I'd put the sound way above any of the budget amps I've tried before. It has a bit of an old school tone to cabinet with the horn off.. I like it a lot.
I'll be using it when I can't be arsed to cart the Aggie 12's and Tone hammer around

• 3 weeks later...

I was going get a ashdown 100watt combo myself ,tried the rumble 100 today ,no brainer really the ash stayed in the shop the rumbles now sitting in my front room with her shimmering grill looking at me god that sounded weird it's so light I thouhgt the speaker was missing at first lol,im taking her too meet the drummer tomorrow for reaheasals i will update you all tomorrow night see how it copes

I went with a 200 in place of the 100, because I have a Markbass NY121 cab. I can hook up the NY121 through the 200. The 12" sounds great with the 15", and it brings the 200 combo to 200 watts @ 4 ohms. I've got a Rumble 500 head to use through the NY121 also. The numbers match up great between the head, and cab too. The 500 head with the 8 ohm cab does 350 watts, 50 watts higher than if it were a Markbass Mini CMD 121P combo, with the Combo Head ll. The Combo Head ll is the same head as the Little Mark lll, just made to fit into the combo's cab. The Little Mark lll head is 300 watts @ 8 ohms, 500 watts @ 4 ohms. Close to the Rumble 500 head.

Edited by gsgbass

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1404049615' post='2488760']
Considering a Rumble 500 combo instead of my TC Electronic BG250 combo.
[/quote]

Best to try them side by side if you can...
I have the older BG500 combo in 2x10 and also the new Rumble 500 and I have found the Rumble is a lot more focused and punchy and will go a lot louder before it loses it's roundness.
No built in tuner or compressor on the Rumble but it sounds a lot nicer to my ears.

Currently custodian of a TB-1200 head... all I ever wanted was a Bassman that was 1. Loud enough for all applications: 2. a tube head where the big bottles didn't go soft in the second set and so lose definition/crispness... BINGO
Newer Fender amps really have come a long, long way.