Why become a member? ×

To cull or not to cull ?

Horses for courses. If you're not in lots of different bands or a busy session player, then you probably don't need lots of basses.
I know the phrase 'probably don't need lots of basses' does not compute on this forum though, and GAS is contagious! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399375725' post='2443522']
Horses for courses. If you're not in lots of different bands or a busy session player, then you probably don't need lots of basses.
I know the phrase 'probably don't need lots of basses' does not compute on this forum though, and GAS is contagious! :)
[/quote]

You'll laugh at this.... :lol: band turned up at a local beer festival and was scouting round for a bass player to cover
the gig as theirs went sick ( apparently ) As it happened there were a few bass players about that day and they all agreed
to cover a few songs. I'd said I'd help out if they wanted to but I would need to go and get a bass ( it was 10 mins away )...
as I didn't fancy getting to grips with what was there... ( you know I'm a bit fussy like that ;) ) It was only a blues gig but they seemed to
think some of the songs would be difficult if they weren't 12 bars.
Anwyay, gtr player didn't want a 5 string on the gig...??? so I left them to it. Don't think it worked out so well ( I stayed and listened to it )
as I got a FB friend request from them this morning... :lol: :lol:

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399375335' post='2443518']
What gigs are you doing?
[/quote]

I average between 1 and 2 gigs a month between two bands. Anything from private parties to pubs to festivals.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399377693' post='2443545']
If you racked them up on the gigs, then yes, you'd qualify. IMO, of course.
[/quote]

Ha, that would be ridiculous. No chance of that, I can assure you. I like having a choice, I enjoy the variety, and I usually take a different bass to every gig/rehearsal so they all get used. It's on a whim, much like deciding what to wear. Am I a "collector" if I make sure they all get a play? I do make sure BTW - I keep a note of the number of gigs each one has done, because I'm sad like that ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399376298' post='2443532']
Anwyay, gtr player didn't want a 5 string on the gig...??? so I left them to it.
[/quote]

That's what I totally fail to understand!? Can anyone explain it to me? What possible difference can it make?? Especially if you're doing them a bloody favour! I would have made my feelings clear! :)

Edited by discreet

By the same token, all my basses are 'grooved in' as much as they can be... That sounds crap but explains it the best way I can think of, for now, so everything is how I like them.
So..there is no chance I want to be 'surprised' by what is on offer. I want to be able to do whatever I want to do in a split second and having
a pretty small set-up difference so things like string height/spacing are highest on the list. String gauges and everything else come into it all too. so if it is any sort of struggle, I'll not be too interested.

And then we get onto how I want them to sound and all that entails.......... and so it is easier to do it my way or not bother.

I keep thinking about this.

99% of the time I play my 5 string Marleaux. The other 1% of the time it's my old (ish) Precision.

I play with an Orchestra and the 5 string is pretty much vital for the tunes we play. A second 5 string would be useful, but the other 4 stringers just sit there getting dusty.

I've owned most of the others for so long that I don't even feel they owe me anything so I might even ebay the lot and see what happens. For the first time in years I'm more worried about the music I'm playing, rather than what I'm playing it on!! :D

I think I'd try to take each bass purely on its own merit and see whether you want to keep them individually rather than a full cull. If they all have unique advantages be it playability, sound or whatever then I'd be more likely to regret it. But if there are effectively duplicates then I'd move the less played versions on

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399379848' post='2443584']
That's what I totally fail to understand!? Can anyone explain it to me? What possible difference can it make?? Especially if you're doing them a bloody favour! I would have made my feelings clear! :)
[/quote]
Local gtr hero, I guess.. playing in a blues band ...which tbh, is not so much my thing as I get bored holding up the bottom end
for endless whizzing. I'd get bored in other genres as well....but even more so when the song goes,
Intro, V, Ch, V, Ch, ENDLESS GTR SOLO V, Ch outro on every number, but I've done enough and I do have good e nough ears and can
hear the changes on anything that is not a 12 bar. Anyway, I knew the trouble they were in but since they seem to have guys
willing to get up and do it, I let them get on with it...
A few crashes but no train wrecks ;) I guess they think they got away with it...and probably they did.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399393034' post='2443789']
Local gtr hero, I guess.. playing in a blues band ...which tbh, is not so much my thing as I get bored holding up the bottom end...
Anyway, I knew the trouble they were in but since they seem to have guys willing to get up and do it, I let them get on with it...
[/quote]

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would anyone refuse a bass player for having a five-string bass?
That's the bit I really don't understand! What difference does it make? Surely it's about whether you're any good or not?? :huh:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399399749' post='2443882']

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would anyone refuse a bass player for having a five-string bass?
That's the bit I really don't understand! What difference does it make? Surely it's about whether you're any good or not?? :huh:
[/quote]

Yeah, and everyone knows the two rules of bass.

1) The better you are the more strings you have
2) Red basses go faster (or is that cars?)

By this logic, I have come to the conclusion that I should have a yellow bass with minus 4 strings!

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1399368917' post='2443414']

I never understand this argument at all. Too many for what?

If you are playing for the public then to my mind at least you should have a backup instrument so that if something goes wrong, you don't let anyone down. What if some tunes require fretless? Do you also need a backup fretless?

Extended range needed? Mmm... 5 string, 6 string... should I have fretless versions of those as well? And so far this ignores the fact that a Jazz sounds/ feels different to a Precision or Ibanez or Alembic or Wal or Musicman etc. etc.

In my opinion, owning and using lots of different basses makes you more rounded as a player. You are more able to cope with all of the different idiosyncrasies of tone, feel, action etc. and that can only be good for you as a player. Your only restrictions should be the practical ones - can you afford it, do you have room to store it? The others like can I justify it, do I really need it? etc. are purely imaginary constructs of your own making.

Who here would claim that John Entwhistle was more of a "collector" than a player?

Not that I'm opinionated or anything... :)

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

I disagree!

For well over 90% of us anything more than five or six basses is into collector territory. Yes, the odd person here or there has a genuine need for more but even most pro bassists don't "need" a lot of instruments.

There's nothing wrong with being a collector (I do it myself!), but I think it's good to be honest with ourselves about these things. Kidding yourself on that you "need" something instead of just being honest with yourself that you "want" it isn't very healthy in my opinion.

Edited by uncle psychosis

The only thing stopping me from moving on half of my 'collection' is the time involved with taking photos, writing/posting adverts etc. at the moment, I only play one of my basses. One I keep for sentimental value and the other two are more for collecting. Those two id happily move on when I get 'round to it...

Edited by skej21

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1399368917' post='2443414']

I never understand this argument at all. Too many for what?

If you are playing for the public then to my mind at least you should have a backup instrument so that if something goes wrong, you don't let anyone down. What if some tunes require fretless? Do you also need a backup fretless?

Extended range needed? Mmm... 5 string, 6 string... should I have fretless versions of those as well? And so far this ignores the fact that a Jazz sounds/ feels different to a Precision or Ibanez or Alembic or Wal or Musicman etc. etc.

In my opinion, owning and using lots of different basses makes you more rounded as a player. You are more able to cope with all of the different idiosyncrasies of tone, feel, action etc. and that can only be good for you as a player. Your only restrictions should be the practical ones - can you afford it, do you have room to store it? The others like can I justify it, do I really need it? etc. are purely imaginary constructs of your own making.

Who here would claim that John Entwhistle was more of a "collector" than a player?

Not that I'm opinionated or anything... :)

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

I like what you are saying here. And the fact it supports my multiple bass habit, is irrelivent ;-)

Good point about being able to play lots of different basses though. All mine are quite different - number of frets, string gauges, set up, controls and tone. A long time ago I used to get flummoxed at jam nights when not playing my own bass. I think I would be more confident these days. Not saying this is highly important, but it is definitely a factor.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1399407584' post='2444003']

I disagree!

For well over 90% of us anything more than five or six basses is into collector territory. Yes, the odd person here or there has a genuine need for more but even most pro bassists don't "need" a lot of instruments.

There's nothing wrong with being a collector (I do it myself!), but I think it's good to be honest with ourselves about these things. Kidding yourself on that you "need" something instead of just being honest with yourself that you "want" it isn't very healthy in my opinion.
[/quote]

I literally don't need all my basses. I'm not even in a band at the moment. Sometimes I tell myself I need them, or might need them one day. But like you said, for me at least, it is that I simply enjoy these basses and the difference they have. I enjoy swapping between them and it kind of gets me excited to practice; thinking I'm going to play a certain bass. It is an indulgence. I literally only need one bass to continue my hobby. However, I don't get out much (kids) and it's what I choose to spend my money on. Also when I hear the cost of proper good double basses, I feel comforted! So maybe I am a collector. Although I feel there should be a better word collector. That sounds to me like someone who doesn't actually use his/her collection.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399399749' post='2443882']
[/quote]

Well, looking at the unit that was playing, it was all about him, and maybe he just thought the more strings the more notes
and he don't want a bass payer like that.
Not the most uncommon stance from a gtr, I'd say...they can think the rest of the band are just there to underpin what they do...??
That is why you have 3 piece blues bands.. the gtr player sings everything and plays everything and he wants simple from everyone else.... :lol: This is why I've always found 3 pieces pretty unwatchable as the gtr has to stonkingly good to be able to keep it interesting
for the whole show/set.
I tend to favour units where everyone gets to bring their piece to the party...but then you need equal players to the gtr..etc etc

Anyway, the band was obviously built round the gtr..and he was pretty good... but only the very best don't run out of things to say, IMO
especially once you have done the shuffle, the swinger, the rock-out and the fat shuffle etc etc etc and then they think to mix it up we will do a non standard 12 bar.. :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399449928' post='2444266']
Well, looking at the unit that was playing, it was all about him, and maybe he just thought the more strings the more notes and he don't want a bass payer like that.
[/quote]

That seems like a very dated attitude to me. To think that a 5-string bass player is going to be busier than a 4-stringer because of the extra string is just moronic in my book - there's no correlation at all. If I were a front man/singer/guitarist in a band (God forbid) of any genre, I'd expect the rhythm section to be [i]at least[/i] as creative and engaging as I was - particularly in a three-piece - to keep the interest up over an entire set, like you said. Oh well!

Edited by discreet

Well, the other thing was...and without blowing my own trumpet, I could have done what they needed
pretty easily and made a much better job of it that they ended up with...IMHO, of course, but I wasn't
going to get up there using a 4 which I don't play and don't know and probably wouldn't care for
either, so all in all, if I was going to do them a favour... then I'd have driven home to get my bass.
He/they wanted me/anyone to get up there and play anything that was donated/left around and there were
plenty of guys who were 'up' for doing it... but by the look of their faces, they didn't seem at all
comfortable in those situations once it all started ..and by the look of the gtr face, he wasn't that sure about it in the end either.

So, it didn't happen... but he has since posted on a FB page that he doesn't see the need for basses to be anymore
than 4 string...which is an argument you can have for ever, but then when you see the set up of the band you
might unkindly think it is only a vehicle for him to jizz all over anyway.
They are pretty popular, tbf... so maybe he is on the right lines.

But, I agree, if anyone determines what I have to play, I'd be looking at what it was actually worth in terms of salary
and when I heard what a very popular chart name was paying her band of late ... I nearly choked, and apparently that
is the game these days... I put a decent amount of credence in the source as that is the type of work they are all after
Lets just say that a decent function gig would cover it....
And in light of that, I fully understand how decent CV's come down and are chasing function gigs so hard...

Sorry to Zig for the derail..maybe it is time for another thread...

'Too many' is a different number for every individual. If you have lots and you like them, have the space to store them and don't need to money to sell the ones you don't play much then it is purely a matter between you, your partner and your bank balance.

I've got loads - far more than I could ever 'need' - but I enjoy playing all the different ones, all the different nuances, playing positions and tones. I'd rather spend an evening tinkering with a new bass, or an old favourite, than go down the pub or watch mindless sh*te on the TV. I might decide at next rehearsal to give X a blast for a change. Or at the next gig, rather than my 'go to'. Eventually I fall out of love with one and I'll move it on but right up until then I'll keep it and play it when the whim takes me. Or I might have GAS for something, buy it, find I don't like it after all and move it on more quickly.

I don't see why anyone else needs to get involved :).