Why become a member? ×

Bass Body Drilling Question

xilddx

I need to drill a wire tunnel between the electronics cavity and the pickup route on a Jazz body.

I have a long enough drill bit, but I need the tunnel to be parallel with the body back and front. The question is what angle should I bend the drill bit?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1399065442' post='2440752']
Why does the hole have to be parallel to the back and front?[/quote]

This^ pretty sure an angled drill head would be too big.
A long drill bit at a shallow angle drilled half way from each cavity to meet in the middle. Plenty of masking tape to protect the finish or wood surface & also to draw the path onto to help you keep straight.
Then a length of soldering wire that you thread through the hole(s) to drag your electric wires through taped to it. Decide how many wires you'll need first, cos once one or two are in you'll struggle to get any more thru.

Something like this maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-300mm-Flexible-Power-Extension/dp/B001THDLK4 or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Flexi-Drive-Drill-Shaft-With-Keyless-Chuck-36-915mm-/310850904019 ?

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1399096966' post='2440936']
You can get specially trained woodworm to do it. I think.
[/quote]

This is correct.
For dry wood, you use any of the common ones. If however, you've recently played the bass, only the Pentarthrum parallelum huttoni will do.