Why become a member? ×

Best looking Tanglewood ever

Yep. I've seen Curbows before, but the fretless-ness, the darkness of the ebanol fretboard, that body finish, and even the veneer (? - some other material) on the headstock just make this look so much better than any Curbow I've seen before.

I"ve got no boy toy budget at all, having bought another bicycle yesterday. Even then, I"ve just had to put a lowball bid on this.

@Evil Undead. Why would this be a pain in the posterior to play?

Edited by Annoying Twit

Some people say they can be a little difficult to balance on your leg when seated, though I've never really had a problem with my fretted 5 string Curbow.

EDIT: The serial on that fretless and on my Tanglewood (Cort) Curbow both start with '00' meaning it's an early one dating from 2000 and it'll have an EQ that remains active when the slap switch is engaged (later Curbows only have a preset EQ available when the slap switch is on which means they're less flexible). It'll also have a Mighty Mite rather than a Bartolini soapbar pickup - some owners actually prefer the Mighty Mite as it's reputed to be less trebly than the Bartolini.

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1398374371' post='2433577']
Actually screw it, if I don't win something else I've been lowballing that ends tomorrow then I'm in for this.
[/quote]

I've put a lowball on it, but don't have the boy toy budget to expand on it. If anyone is serious about this and wants to know, they can PM me and I'll tell them my bid. But, my bid is low enough so that it's not going to make any difference in the long run.

Ah, outbid already. But I knew that would happen. My budget for a fretless bass is currently -£80. Note: that's a negative sign. But, I've bought the bicycle and bits that I needed to, and now a fretless bass is the next personal purchase. I recently had a go on a Squier VM Jazz fretless, and really liked it., particularly the ebanol fretboard Then there's a the possibility of a Japanese bass like a Westone Thunder. Or, there's whatever might turn up over the next few months while personal purchase budget builds up.

I'm mentally predicting this will go for £200. And if it does, IMHO it will be well worth that. Anything £150 and under will be a bargain. If I bid on it and won it for that, my new running shoes budget would be £-230. That's taking the negative budget a bit too far :)

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1398809602' post='2437950']
I'm guessing on the strap it's ok but on the knee it would be a pain in the ass.
[/quote]

Don't guess. Try. I've played the Cort version sitting down, and I can't recall having any comfort issues.

There are certainly enough people out there claiming that the Tanglewood Curbow basses were made of luthite.

I looked into it further. It seems that the first Cort built curbows in the country were branded Tanglewood, and were luthite. After Cort started selling Curbows under its own name, Tanglewood introduced the Canyon series bass, which looked similar but were made of wood, not luthite.

There are lots of owners of the Tanglewood Curbows describing the body as luthite. Are they wrong?