Why become a member? ×

Darkglass B3K vs Vintage, differences?

horrorshowbass

Hi guys,
i know these pedals have been discussed before to death but in going to buy one of them soon and want to make an informed decision.
Any adjectives would be great, i understand the B3K is more aggressive, metallic and bright than the darker, less gritty Vintage but any further information would be great. I'm leaning towards the B3K for the grunt setting especially.
Thanks in advance,
Mick

Checkout the vintage tubes here.

I don't usually like this sort of thing, but this blew me away. I liked the Markbass one, then Steve switches in the Darkglass vintage tubes, and the difference is amazing.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJe08UZP__g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJe08UZP__g [/url]

i have both, and prefer the vintage,

the vintage can get quite clanky and aggressive, but i never hear any samples showing that side of it, i use it for a clanky aggressive p bass tone at the moment and its always on.

i'd say the b3k is more 'precise' and metallic, and you can coax some insane attack out of it. neither pedals kill your low end either, very full sounding.

if you're anywhere near leeds, then you're welcome to come try them out.

Owned the B3K briefly before returning it. I found it too scooped, with weak lows and a fizzy top end that I couldn't adjust without upgrading to the (overpriced) B7K. It does one particular sound really well that fits with a Jazz / Stingray or other agressive bass played in a metal / industrial band.

I've not tried the Vintage but like what I hear from the demos. Sounds like this would suit a more traditional rock tone and would be my choice between the two for the kind of stuff I play.

Thanks guys, great info!
Ant, thanks for the offer man but I'm in Ireland :)
yeah i was very tempted by the vintage after hearing soundclips(especially the Tom Sawyer one:))
i like that Geddy/slightly overdriven tone.
Only worry is Vintage will be too dark for me(found this with my Pork Loin although not selling it, ill find the sound for me eventually;))
The B7K is crazy money, not spending over £200 for a pedal!

[url="http://brawlers.bandcamp.com/track/mothers-and-fathers"]http://brawlers.bandcamp.com/track/mothers-and-fathers[/url]

listen to when the bass comes in on that track, its a pretty aggressive tone using just the darkglass vintage microtubes, the bass plays without the guitar on one of the verses too.

I owned both a little while ago and first thing I will say is I am still pissed off with myself for spending the best part of £400 on two pedals.

I didn't think they really overlapped that much and for a brief moment sat happily next to each other on my board until I realised how much money was tied up in them!

For me only the B3K has something going on that I haven't heard in another pedal...very modern, clanky metallic and scooped sounding.....you have to want that tone though, it doesn't do much else.

I don't think the vintage does anything that can't be found in cheaper options such as the VT Bass and the Solidgold Beta.

Come to think of it I bet the VT bass would do a decent B3K sound. Everything is there to get close to it..mid, treble, bass, character, drive controls.

Edited by Jonesy64

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1398124200' post='2430783']
[url="http://brawlers.bandcamp.com/track/mothers-and-fathers"]http://brawlers.bandcamp.com/track/mothers-and-fathers[/url]

listen to when the bass comes in on that track, its a pretty aggressive tone using just the darkglass vintage microtubes, the bass plays without the guitar on one of the verses too.
[/quote]Inice tune :) bass sounds good

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1398124200' post='2430783']
[url="http://brawlers.bandcamp.com/track/mothers-and-fathers"]http://brawlers.band...ers-and-fathers[/url]

[/quote]

I hadn't heard this, used to be in a band with Harry when I was back in Lincoln! How weird, small world!...

Great track, great bass sound as always dude :)

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1398202332' post='2431714']
I owned both a little while ago and first thing I will say is I am still pissed off with myself for spending the best part of £400 on two pedals.

I didn't think they really overlapped that much and for a brief moment sat happily next to each other on my board until I realised how much money was tied up in them!

For me only the B3K has something going on that I haven't heard in another pedal...very modern, clanky metallic and scooped sounding.....you have to want that tone though, it doesn't do much else.

I don't think the vintage does anything that can't be found in cheaper options such as the VT Bass and the Solidgold Beta.

Come to think of it I bet the VT bass would do a decent B3K sound. Everything is there to get close to it..mid, treble, bass, character, drive controls.
[/quote]

Aye, I'm not keen on the demo's I've heard. Much prefer the Tech 21 sounds from the BDDI/VT Bass.

Darkglass Doug just announced that there will be a forthcoming announcement announcing a few tweaks to the existing product line, so if you were thinking of buying one it might be worth holding out to see what those improvements are!

I've had my Microtubes for a couple of weeks now, and after all the anticipation I'm sad to say I'm not impressed. There aren't enough variation of sounds in it for me, and at £175 I wouldn't recommend it. For my last gig I mounted a Digitech Bass Driver on my board. I bought this on BC a couple of weeks ago for £20 s/h and this was its first outing. It sounded great on the gig. The Microtubes didn't.

Are you talking about the B3K or Vintage?

The B3K is a bit of a marmite pedal. Some people rave about it like it's the ultimate pedal for everything, but really I find it to be a bit of a one trick pony. I see you play a P bass - I don't think that's a good match, the B3K sounds better with a Jazz/Ray I reckon.

I've tried the b3k and I think it's fair to say that it's a great sounding pedal and it has a very distinctive voice.
If you are wanting that particular voice then it's the best I've heard for that sound.

I was convinced I needed the b7k with the eq and the DI instead and I'm still pondering over it, but a conversation i had with someone has pointed my attention to the vintage as a better sound.

Dare I even breathe it here, I was playing my behringer BD121 yesterday just practising at home as I'm nursing an injured limb and it sounds so good, for the simple boost and dirt in the sound I'm looking for. I'm struggling with the behringer tag though as I've heard so much about unreliability. But at £27 I could own ten backups for the price of one b7k........
Intriguing, I'm having a bout of emperors new clothes awareness lately and I'm wondering if this is one of these outfits.

By the way before I forget. What's the new announcements about upgrades on darkglass ?

Nothing yet, he just announced on Talkbass that he will soon be announcing an announcement:

[QUOTE name='Darkglass']Thanks guys! I have a ton of ideas for later this year... so I'm super excited! There's lots of cool stuff coming up and I can't wait to show you!
I'm also working on some minor tweaks to the current pedals (nothing drastic, just subtle improvements)! More to be announced soon![/QUOTE]

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1398327689' post='2432826']
Are you talking about the B3K or Vintage?
[/quote]

I have the Vintage Microtubes. So far, with my gear, it seems like a limited (almost one trick) pony. I'm going to give it a fair chance to see what it can do but if it doesn't do it for me I'll be selling it. I have a COG on order and I have a feeling that will blow the Vintage off the map.

Edited by ratman

[quote name='horrorshowbass' timestamp='1398110450' post='2430609']I'm leaning towards the B3K for the grunt setting especially.[/quote]

All the grunt does is cut lows going into the distortion circuit (at least that's what it sounds like to my ears). Then you blend some lows back in with the blend control. The drive can sound a bit bloated with full bass going into it in fat mode, and more cutting and guitar like if switched to the thin or raw modes. I preferred it on fat - and the Vintage is probably baked in with a similar tone, sending full range into the drive circuit.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1398334596' post='2432966']I have the Vintage Microtubes. So far, with my gear, it seems like a limited (almost one trick) pony. I'm going to give it a fair chance to see what it can do but if it doesn't do it for me I'll be selling it.[/quote]

Ah, see the B3K is also labelled 'Microtubes', hence the confusion. I would've thought the Vintage would be at least a two-trick pony with that Era knob! The Deluxe version would probably suit more due to the EQ, but it's nearly twice the price and I don't need the DI. PM'd to see if you're up for short term swapsies with something of mine...

To be fair, most drive pedals are 'one trick ponies'. Depends if you like that trick or not that counts, and that's why we have so many different ones!

Edited by dannybuoy

Thanks again guys,
btw bassman, the behringer is an excellent wee pedal, for 27 quid you should snap it up.
Not far off a Sansamp in a plastic box(who throws their pedals around anyways:))

back on darkglass, i guess what drew me to the b3k was the driving, agressive feel of the pedal(i love Justin chancellors sound). I play in a three piece classic rock band and if i could get agressive with useable tones, i might go for the vintage. Yes its probably overhyped and my pork loin/hardwire cm2 would do the job but my curiosity is too much!