Why become a member? ×

First time playing originals. How different is this !!

tonybassplayer

But song writing (or even writing your own parts to a song) is a skill that needs to be learned and worked on before you are any good - just like playing an instrument.

Why do so many musicians think it's going to happen automatically and then give up when it doesn't?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397629673' post='2425726']
Why do so many musicians think it's going to happen automatically and then give up when it doesn't?
[/quote]

It's a mystery to me! Our guitarist friend hadn't prepared anything despite being given recordings - how he expected to improvise effectively when he's done no improvising for decades, I don't know. The band have been working on the material for some time.

Edited by discreet

Interestingly, you can be very creative doing covers and very predictable doing originals. A lot of Jazz originals are astonishingly formulaic (12-bar bebop blues, bossas etc). Creativity is creativity. Catch this Carpenters song....

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=t0Wf2SP0rJ4

There's nothing special about being 'original' for originality's sake, imo. It may well satisfy one's ego (and why not..?), but it doesn't necessarily make for good music for others to enjoy. I've seen countless 'original' groups (no names, but give the Edgar Broughton Band a listen, and judge for yourselves...) who were somewhat less than inspired (imho...); not many 'original' groups get to be, themselves, 'covered'. Still, if it's only in the self-satisfaction, then why not..?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1397645100' post='2425930']
Interestingly, you can be very creative doing covers and very predictable doing originals. A lot of Jazz originals are astonishingly formulaic (12-bar bebop blues, bossas etc). Creativity is creativity. Catch this Carpenters song....

[url="http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=t0Wf2SP0rJ4"]http://m.youtube.com...h?v=t0Wf2SP0rJ4[/url]
[/quote]
Link not working, did you mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Wf2SP0rJ4

I don't think original artists do it for 'ego', (although they might get an an ego boost from it) I think most of them do it because its what they naturally want to do.

My first reaction to learning bass was 'when can I start writing with a guitarist'. I found learning other lines wasn't as exciting.

Different musicians get a buzz off different things. It is fun to nail a difficult line written by a good bassist, I agree, but it is also fun to write from scratch, have a bass line people hum along to.

I tend to have songs or structures brewing in my head before I've even touched the bass/guitar to start writing it....

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1397646264' post='2425948']

Link not working, did you mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Wf2SP0rJ4
[/quote]

Dunno! Can't see it. It was Ben Allison's 'It's Only Just Begun'. The cover is barely recognisable as The Carpenters.

I personally struggle with covers because I have limited interest in playing other people's stuff. I can and do do it regularly in 'one-off' situations but doing it for more than a couple of gigs sees me getting very bored very quickly. I just don't see the point. If you want Don't Fear The Reaper, buy the record! I guess its different for audiences because they only see the covers band once but, playing in it? Not a favourite situation for me. Jazz allows you to play covers without having to just regurgitate them but, even there, it's the originals the grab my interest. There is no expectation that the 'originals' are better as individual works than the stock covers, just that they are interesting and valid. A good song doesn't have to be a 'classic' to be a good song any more than a 'classic' has to be a good song to be a 'classic' (that does make sense if you read it enough times :lol:!!)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1397650620' post='2426022']
Dunno! Can't see it. It was Ben Allison's 'It's Only Just Begun'. The cover is barely recognisable as The Carpenters.
[/quote]
That's the one.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1397650620' post='2426022']
... A good song doesn't have to be a 'classic' to be a good song any more than a 'classic' has to be a good song to be a 'classic' (that does make sense if you read it enough times :lol:!!)
[/quote]
Were you thinking of [i]Moondance[/i]?

Having played in covers, functions, originals (where I have to make up parts) and originals (where I am playing prerecorded/written parts) my approach has always been pretty similar.

Look at what is going on with everyone else, write a part that fits, learn the part (structure, harmony etc), regurgitate at gigs. Sometimes embellish parts if it's suitable and fits.

I don't see any situation as being 'less musical' or 'less creative' as another. It takes a much discipline to play something simple like 'Dakota' by Stereophonics as it was recorded as it takes creativity to think up a part from scratch. Different situations require different skills and I enjoy the challenges that come from testing any of those skills.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1397595550' post='2425585']
I'm itching to write my own stuff, I'd love to write some prog rock/metal, but the software to do so is far to much money. (If anyone has a cheap alternative please please please let me know)
[/quote]

And perhaps a guitar as well, has always served me quite well for writing songs.
;)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1397651888' post='2426050']
I am never thinking about Moondance.
[/quote]

and yet you're always bringing it up?
;)