Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky basses, worth it?

JazzBassfreak

It's a shame you're not nearer to us - we've got a nice NYC that you could have a good try on to see what you think of them.

Personally I like them a lot, especially the narrow nut Will Lee, but the NYC's with really nice tops are getting very pricey now.

Great gigging basses. Always seem to sit really nicely in a band environment.

Not as much low down punchy growl as your YYS though :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1397251105' post='2422329']
It's a shame you're not nearer to us - we've got a nice NYC that you could have a good try on to see what you think of them.

Personally I like them a lot, especially the narrow nut Will Lee, but the NYC's with really nice tops are getting very pricey now.

Great gigging basses. Always seem to sit really nicely in a band environment.

Not as much low down punchy growl as your YYS though :)
[/quote]

The YYS is amazing in every sort of situation, but I'm not a fan of taking out the house too much! I've sold a few of my other basses so I think a Sadowsky 4 is my next buy. Btw I've been looking at getting a ramp made for my YYS, can you recommend anyone? Cheers :)

I had the privledge of spending a goooood while alone in the sadowsky store NYC. I played a good number of p and j. Same with most bass manufacturers. Some played better than others, some sounded better than others BUT and it's a BIG BUT, the overall standard was a lot higher, so the least playable would still be reaaaaally good. The best i played was actually a cheaper one!

Sadowsky basses , are they worth it ? Well, I would say yes, they are worth it in the same way that your Fodera is " worth it ", but whether they are good value for money if you are buying them in the U.K is another matter entirely.

Even though they are very different styles of bass respectively, both Fodera and Sadowsky share the same fundamental principles of guitar building , i.e do the basic things to a very high standard and you will probably end up with an impressive instrument at the end of it. I firmly believe that the excellent reputation that both companies enjoy is due to the fact that they are run by people who understand that there are certain fundamental mechanical processes that you have to do correctly to make a bass that plays well and sounds good- selecting the right wood, cutting the nut , fretwork, truing the fingerboard, tight neck join, et cetera - and despite their growing reputation and big demand to turn out more instruments,as quickly as possible they have both steadfastly refused to compromise those values because they are smart enough to realize they would be undermining what makes them special .

I have known a few people who were disappointed by Sadowsky basses when they eventually got to try one after years of reading about them., claiming that they "weren't anything that special". Well, I certainly see how that could happen, because superb basses as they are, they are essentially pretty simple instruments. A Fender- style bass with a slightly scaled down body and a very straightforward preamp. But to me that is also their great strength and why they are such useful basses. They are comfortable to wear , very easy to play, the boost -only preamp sounds very musical and is perfectly tuned to that bass, and overall it's a bass you can spend you time enjoying playing rather than messing about with.

If you live in the USA they are a great buy, certainly not cheap but a high quality bass at a fair price. If you live in Britain and are thinking about buying and importing a new one though , always bear in mind that in any normal circumstances , Roger Sadowsky doesn't discount, ever, and that includes his export prices, so the stated price is what you will pay, unlike some companies who will discount from their direct retail price for basses exported overseas. That means you can add approximately another 25% to the retail price by the time you get the bass in your hands in the U.K , so you have to decide if a £3000 bass is worth £4000 to you, or at least some approximation of those figures depending on what bass you choose with whichever options.

You see quite a few used Sadowsky basses for sale, and if you find a good one at the right price I think it could be a great buy, and a bass you could easily love. Another option is to get a decent quality Jazz Bass of some description ( there are lots out there nowadays) and got the Sadowsky outboard preamp to play it through. It has exactly the same electronics as what is in Sadowsky basses, and gives a very big chunk of that Sadowsky sound to any half-decent Jazz Bass. Fairly affordable, and strongly recommended.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397251474' post='2422336']
The YYS is amazing in every sort of situation, but I'm not a fan of taking out the house too much! I've sold a few of my other basses so I think a Sadowsky 4 is my next buy. Btw I've been looking at getting a ramp made for my YYS, can you recommend anyone? Cheers :)
[/quote]

I would have though any decent luthier could make you a ramp. Where are you located ? The Gallery in Camden could do you one no problem , or at the other end of the country Chris May at Overwater in Carlisle would do a great job. Jiimmy Moon in Glasgow if you are north of the border , or John Diggins in Birmingham if you are in the Midlands.

I've owned Metro and NYC basses and aside from the beautiful figured wood on the NYC, I'm not 100% sure that I would order a 'new' one over a new Metro! I'd most certainly take a used NYC over a used Metro... probably! :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Sorry if that doesn't help. One thing is that the NYC was the lightest Jazz [/size]derivative[size=4] bass that I have ever experienced (almost to the point it was too light and the headstock 'might' just have been dipping when on certain straps) but the Metro basses weren't boat anchors by any means. :)[/size]

I don't think the exchange rate helps but at this level of manufacture, you should expect the nuts and bolts
being put together well as a given...
Whether it turns out to be the bass for you...only you can say that with the one you find, but expect a
crafted instrument to do what it says.

I like the vintage series very much.... but can give the modern series a miss....but I'd say that about
Fenders as well.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1397310644' post='2422702']

I would have though any decent luthier could make you a ramp. Where are you located ? The Gallery in Camden could do you one no problem , or at the other end of the country Chris May at Overwater in Carlisle would do a great job. Jiimmy Moon in Glasgow if you are north of the border , or John Diggins in Birmingham if you are in the Midlands.
[/quote]

Yup Staffordshire about 45 mins from Brum, John Diggins?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1397311904' post='2422716']
I've owned Metro and NYC basses and aside from the beautiful figured wood on the NYC, I'm not 100% sure that I would order a 'new' one over a new Metro! I'd most certainly take a used NYC over a used Metro... probably! :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Sorry if that doesn't help. One thing is that the NYC was the lightest Jazz [/size]derivative[size=4] bass that I have ever experienced (almost to the point it was too light and the headstock 'might' just have been dipping when on certain straps) but the Metro basses weren't boat anchors by any means. :)[/size]
[/quote]

I should of been more specific in the title, I own a metro, which I love, but I'm basically still listing after an NYC, this GAS will be the death of me.. The NYC's being chambered would be a plus for me though (back problems)

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397330507' post='2422949']
Yup Staffordshire about 45 mins from Brum, John Diggins?
[/quote]

John is a great craftsman , but try and get him to give you a realistic turnaround time for the job. He is usually snowed under with work due to his long-held reputation as one of the best in the business. I'm sure there are some other excellent luthiers in your neck of the woods if JD is too busy . Someone on this site will have someone they can recommend, or ask Mark at Bass Direct if he can suggest anyone in the area to do that kind of a job. He must have a repairman he uses.

I own a Sadowsky NYC and it is a wonderful bass. However I would recommend you try before you buy if at all possible. It is a hell of a lot of money to hand out and there is no guarantee that it will be your thing.
The crucial advantage for me is the weight (7 pounds) and that has kept me in the game, as I have shoulder issues from 35 years of gigging. Plus I like The Fender style jazz body shape and pick up configuration.
The Pre amp is wonderful and the vintage tone control is a fantastic addition, particularly when it comes to taming my maple fretboard.
The support from Roger Sadowsky is top class. Obviously he is passionate about his product and is determined that the needs of his potential and existing customers are satisfied to the highest standard.
The Stock NYC have a 12" neck radius, which is quite a departure from the standard Fender design, so In the hand the neck does not feel like a Fender IMO, though I understand that 9.5" Radius is available on custom orders.
I purchased mine a few years back whilst in New York, so got it an excellent price when compared with with the new price they are selling for on this side of the pond. Would I pay the current U.K. asking price for a new one?, not sure. There are some excellent custom builders in the U.K. that would tempt me, as well as offer me a significant saving over a Sadowsky NYC. A used Sadowky NYC could be a good option, if you can come across one and the Metro option is definitely worth a look, though they tend to be a couple of pounds heavier than the NYC as they are non chambered (remember some players prefer the Metros because the are solid bodies)
So a definite thumbs up for Sadowsky, but I would not order one just because of GAS. Find one, plug it in, and sit with it for a while and then decide

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1397311904' post='2422716']

[/quote]

I had an NYC which was so light that the neck was really unbalanced. I spoke to Sadowsky about possible ways to cure this and they simply told me I was wrong and they never released basses with neck dive!

I 'cured' it by fitting Hipshot Ultra-lights and noticed, a year or so later that these were standard fit on a lot of new Sadowskys. . .

I've tried an odd one since then that wasn't perfectly balanced and each one was really, really light weight. It's generally been the chambered body ones that have had the imbalance. Obviously there's a compromise in play between weight and balance so I couldn't complain too much.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1397408311' post='2423638']
I had an NYC which was so light that the neck was really unbalanced. I spoke to Sadowsky about possible ways to cure this and they simply told me I was wrong and they never released basses with neck dive!

I 'cured' it by fitting Hipshot Ultra-lights and noticed, a year or so later that these were standard fit on a lot of new Sadowskys. . .

I've tried an odd one since then that wasn't perfectly balanced and each one was really, really light weight. It's generally been the chambered body ones that have had the imbalance. Obviously there's a compromise in play between weight and balance so I couldn't complain too much.
[/quote]

Funnily enough, the last time I spoke to Roger it was to ask him to make me a bass with lightweight tuners on, They were using them on the five strings and I asked him to put them on a four to improve the balance even further and he said that he thought the traditional tuners sounded better in terms of affecting the resonance of the neck . It sounded a bit far-fetched to me, who knows ? I passed on that bass, but I myself have never noticed a [i]particular[/i] problem with neck dive on Sadowsky basses of any weight more than other Jazz-style basses , that do tend to have an inherent "tug" at the neck end .

However, the weight of the body is not the significant factor in deciding whether a bass neck dives. I have read this quite a lot on Basschat, and it appears to be a common misconception. Most basses prone to neck dive would do so just as much if the body was twice as heavy. What affects neck dive far more is the shape of the body and the relative balance points of the strap buttons. , not the weight. Lightening the overall weight of the neck can help improve the balance further, but the converse approach of making the body heavier [u]does not[/u] really help.

I had a wonderful time in the Sadowsky NYC showroom, lovely bunch of guys but I left feeling a bit disheartened. Their preamp is what you're essentially paying for, and the premium charged for the NYC models then becomes (IMO) a purely aesthetic thing, plus perhaps the chambering if weight is an issue. That isn't to detract from the quality of their manufacturing process either, I think they're well made but I've never found one to be overly 'special' sounding. The only notable exception would be the Will Lee model which seriously benefits from an adjustable mid toggle switch to give you a kick in the desired mid region, but to be honest almost every Sadowsky I've played would benefit from more control over mids. My tastes have changed over the part few years too, nowadays I find their standard 2-band EQ just too clinical.

I personally had better luck with Pensa basses, which sounded a lot nicer than about 7 or 8 of the NYC basses I tried out when I was over in New York last. Only 2-band EQs in their instruments too but more musical sounding to my ears at least, with options to set the pickups up in series too which sounded amazing.

I spent a morning in Brooklyn (when Sadowsky was based there) playing the basses. If "super-jazzes" are your thing then they are well-worth having a look at and getting to play some. However IMO the pre-amp isn't everything it's cracked up to be. I thought all the models I played sounded better with it turned off.

I've not owned a Sadowsky, but have played a few in my time - defo in the double figures. I think your 'expectations' need to be specified in order for anyone to answer that question properly. But then it's so subjective. ALL basses vary, it's the simple truth. Some bass brands I love have built basses that I'm just not that into due to inherent tone, neck profile etc..
I always remember ONE sadowsky I played that blew me away. A 4 string NYC, but others I've been less into, they aren't generally my bag but there's exceptions to every rule. I can't emphasise strongly enough the importance of playing an instrument first. It's a big gamble to order one, with the import costs etc and know it's going to be right for you. Rogers work is fantastic, I'm purely talking about that thing of 'horses for courses', and those tiny variations between instruments. If you have a Sadowsky itch, why not try out everything available in the UK first? And the Metro's too? You might just surprise yourself with one of the cheaper models. But at least that way you stand a chance of knowing it's right for you or not BEFORE you lay out the cash. I wish you a successful and enjoyable hunt for your Sadowsky!

Love my Sadowsky Metro. I have played a few Metros that didn't exactly blow me away, so I'm probably not in the 'fan boy' status. I do however like Roger Sadowsky's overall philosophy and general business practices, which is actually something that can sway me in a purchase. If I'm spending a tonne of money on a bass, I like it to go to a company that isn't headed up by [insert company figurehead you can't stand]. Still the Metros are now at a price point where I probably wouldn't be considering them just in terms of price.

I really like the Sadowsky eq as well, though generally I only add a tiny bit of added bass and leave the treble off. I generally prefer a 2 band over a 3 band, just for simplicities sake. Once a 3rd EQ option is added, I end up twiddling knobs trying to find the 'right' sound and balance of mids, rather than just getting on with it and playing.

[quote name='fingerz' timestamp='1397602173' post='2425667']
I've not owned a Sadowsky, but have played a few in my time - defo in the double figures. I think your 'expectations' need to be specified in order for anyone to answer that question properly. But then it's so subjective. ALL basses vary, it's the simple truth. Some bass brands I love have built basses that I'm just not that into due to inherent tone, neck profile etc..
I always remember ONE sadowsky I played that blew me away. A 4 string NYC, but others I've been less into, they aren't generally my bag but there's exceptions to every rule. I can't emphasise strongly enough the importance of playing an instrument first. It's a big gamble to order one, with the import costs etc and know it's going to be right for you. Rogers work is fantastic, I'm purely talking about that thing of 'horses for courses', and those tiny variations between instruments. If you have a Sadowsky itch, why not try out everything available in the UK first? And the Metro's too? You might just surprise yourself with one of the cheaper models. But at least that way you stand a chance of knowing it's right for you or not BEFORE you lay out the cash. I wish you a successful and enjoyable hunt for your Sadowsky!
[/quote]

Because I already own a metro!

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1397673592' post='2426386']
Love my Sadowsky Metro. I have played a few Metros that didn't exactly blow me away, so I'm probably not in the 'fan boy' status. I do however like Roger Sadowsky's overall philosophy and general business practices, which is actually something that can sway me in a purchase. If I'm spending a tonne of money on a bass, I like it to go to a company that isn't headed up by [insert company figurehead you can't stand]. Still the Metros are now at a price point where I probably wouldn't be considering them just in terms of price.

I really like the Sadowsky eq as well, though generally I only add a tiny bit of added bass and leave the treble off. I generally prefer a 2 band over a 3 band, just for simplicities sake. Once a 3rd EQ option is added, I end up twiddling knobs trying to find the 'right' sound and balance of mids, rather than just getting on with it and playing.
[/quote]

+1! Could not of explained my overall feeling better myself.